Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BAG has been accepted into Nottingham Uni

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Yorkie said:
True, but Nottingham is regarded as an 'Ivy League' University

you WHAT?!

in this country, it is called the Russell (i think?) group and i believe nottingham is in that (it should be, seeing as southampton is and notts is a bit better than that).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
the full harris said:
you WHAT?!

in this country, it is called the Russell (i think?) group and i believe nottingham is in that (it should be, seeing as southampton is and notts is a bit better than that).

It is a phrase which is used in this country as well for being 'elite'

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nottm is a good uni no question but one of the 'new elite' if anything.

Bristol
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
UCL

are the first port of call for top rate employers. After that it depends what sector you are moving into.

Hull fo example is incredibly popular within the engineering industry.

Nottm Trent has a very good post graduate Law School.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie Morris said:

Bristol
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
UCL

are the first port of call for top rate employers. After that it depends what sector you are moving into.

Nottingham is on a par with Durham. My daughter was offered her job with Deloitte & Touche there. She is now a Chartered Tax Accountant ACA ATII (all first time passes)

Maybe she misinformed me but that is what I was told.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nottingham is not on a par with Durham yet though it is very good and a lot of the way people look at unis is snobbery. For that reason Durham is still seen by many as one of the best despite better performances by less fashionable unis.

Nottingham is a superb uni but I think every former student is bias toward their uni and is bound to have stories of head hunting and successful former students. Does not mean it does not go on in equal numbers elsewhere.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Congrats, Laura. Not so many away trips now though, eh, or for the next 3 years, though some good Midlands ones if we stay up, Forest, Derby, Leicester, etc. Hope you get the grades:clap: :clap: :clap: :drink: :drink: :drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Congrats young lady.:drink:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Yorkie said:
It is a phrase which is used in this country as well for being 'elite'

nottingham is, undoubtedly, a VERY VERY good university, though not quite as good as you seem to have been led to believe!!

Latest league table:

1 Oxford
2 Cambridge
3 Imperial College
4 London School of Economics
5 Warwick
6 University College London
7 York
8 Durham
9 St Andrews
10 Loughborough
11 Bath
12 Bristol
13 Edinburgh
14 Nottingham

It is brilliant to get a degree there, will provide a graduate with a valuable qualification and good chance of employment, however, harvard it is not!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's gone downhill then since my daughter got her degree there 9 years ago.
She also had offers from Imperial & Durham but chose Nottingham when she achieved her 5 grade A 'A' levels. She also had an interview at Cambridge but they wouldn't make her an offer :rolleyes:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it all depends on what course you do. Nottingham has never been an established top ten uni overall but is probably a top ten uni for certain subjects. Perhaps the one your daughter did Yorkie.

For instance Hull is low in the league tables but has among the best politics and engineering depts in Europe.

I got accepted to Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, UCL, Brunel and Hull and chose Hull because of all the places I went round it was the one I felt I would suit the best. Not as good as Leeds or UCL for the course but I knew I was a lazy git and could relax more at Hull and not suffer as much because I do no work.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Yorkie said:
It's gone downhill then since my daughter got her degree there 9 years ago.
She also had offers from Imperial & Durham but chose Nottingham when she achieved her 5 grade A 'A' levels. She also had an interview at Cambridge but they wouldn't make her an offer :rolleyes:

it takes more than A grades to get into cambridge.

my sister got straight As in the hardest combination of A levels imaginable (maths, chemistry, biology) but, after interview, they didn't offer her a place anyway. it is not suited to everyone.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Exactly Full Harris.

It really annoys me when people make comments about their kids getting straight As but not getting into Oxford or Cambridge.

There are shit loads of people who get straight As and want to go there. Not all of them can so it is down to how they perform in the interview and how they come across. Extra curricular exploits also count as do GCSE variety and grades.

It is not some evil conspiracy. I know people who applied, got straight As and did not get in. Likewise I know someone who applied and got in on ABB because they obviously saw something in him that made him stand out.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Richie Morris said:

It really annoys me when people make comments about their kids getting straight As but not getting into Oxford or Cambridge.

There are shit loads of people who get straight As and want to go there. Not all of them can so it is down to how they perform in the interview and how they come across. Extra curricular exploits also count as do GCSE variety and grades.

It is not some evil conspiracy. I know people who applied, got straight As and did not get in. Likewise I know someone who applied and got in on ABB because they obviously saw something in him that made him stand out.

My word, richie has made a post of enitirely sensible and correct points!
:)

Seriosuly, that is all very true, LOADS of people get straight As, but as you say, oxbridge want more than that.
It is no conspiracy as scores of parents across the country would like to think.
In my sister's situation, it was probably better she didn't go to cambridge. I don't think she would have fitted into the ethos of the place and would probably have found the whole experience very stressfull. Its tough there.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Exactly.

Parents tend to think their son/daughter is special (which is understandable) and that there is some conspiracy by Oxbridge against whichever class they happen to come from, i.e. they rejected them because its upper class elitism / want more working class kids.

The truth is that not everyone can go there so they have to look at how suited the pupil is and what they can offer outside lessons. They take for granted that everyone is going to be straight A students when they apply.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't be cruel.:lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Richie Morris said:

Bristol
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
UCL

Try and be a bit positive will you!!!!

Coming from a community college, i would NEVER be expected to get in to a uni top 40 let alone top 20!!!!

To be fair i'm just happy I got an offer!!! Got to get ABC or 3B's which is v. scary but im sure i can do it.

Thankyou to everyone who's said well done, shame i havent been able to tell you all or said thanks earlier, but this is the first time ive been up for the last couple of days!!! Bloody illnesses!!!

xxxx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here