Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bacon Baguette HORROR SHOW - Part Deux

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I agree the catering is crap, but it's all been said before. It's said after every game, and it's monotounous. Granted, seeing the picture in this thread does bring back classic memories from the last moan in.. but still. It's been done before.

I would vote the burgers as most shocking food at the Withdean though. The pies are pretty putrid, and clearly the bacon thing isn't overly appetising either. But to be fair, their chips are absolutely oustanding. I will say that for them.

I think there might be a project for the wearebrighton.com team if the burgers are that bad!!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Jesus it looks like how i'd imagine Madonna's front bottom would look, gaping and and all over the shop.

I'd go for a roast pig and green stuff(ing) next time tastes a bit like farms smell but not bad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
a chap comes back up to the stall hands over two slightly drunk Tanga/Fanta (can't remember which) bottles and says "these taste awful, they are out of date!", the staff then check for the date, reads out loud, for all to hear, "November 09! We've been selling these all day, no-one else has mentioned it!", and handed the lad two (in-date) bottles of coke.

:facepalm:

That is terrible because the date is clearly shown on the bottle but what about the things that you do not see the packaging of like the burgers, chips, hot dogs etc are they all in date!!!! or old stock

I think it should be brought to the clubs attention.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
That is terrible because the date is clearly shown on the bottle but what about the things that you do not see the packaging of like the burgers, chips, hot dogs etc are they all in date!!!! or old stock

Exactly what me and my friend discussed, as he worryingly chomped into his burger.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I think it should be brought to the clubs attention.

Personally, I think Ken Brown is a complete waste of time..........Health & Hygiene would be a much better call. Long overdue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personally, I think Ken Brown is a complete waste of time..........Health & Hygiene would be a much better call. Long overdue.

If you did that they would close the North Stand Catering van down if you see the state of the area where the milk and sugar is kept .

Due to the poor standards at Withdean we now catch the train to Brighton Ben gets some chips and then catch the 27 bus to the ground.
It is both cheaper and better quality.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If you did that they would close the North Stand Catering van down if you see the state of the area where the milk and sugar is kept .

And that is EXACTLY what needs to happen. Hopefully then, Ken Brown might actually get off his lazy arse and do something about it, instead of pandering to what are no doubt, his catering chummies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is a fair point I would expect an environmental health officer would have something to say about the standards.

The other option is to never bother buying food which is quite easy to decide when you see this.

Think the last item I purchased at a footie ground was a pie at Northampton which was very good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think it's a bit unfair to think the club are seriously aware to be honest, the food only served match day and there is enough else going on.

All my point is, agreeing (with post starter) is that the quality of the bacon baguettes has dropped through the floor quite seriously and I've never liked the chips.

Hopefully though someone has read this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I had my pub in Guildford the EHO insisted that the food in both the dry store and the fridges and freezers had to be seperated betwen food for resale and food for our own personal use. Also the cutlery and crockery had to be spo seperated. The woman who did the inspection wasa cow so much so that if she showed her face my wife ysed to send me to the shops and to have a beer in another pub while she did her inspection so that I didnt upset her and make worse.

She would close the North Stand Catering van down quicker than you could repeat the kick off time.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
To be honest the food at Withdean is, in the most part, much better than most grounds I've been to. It's never going to be gourmet food but I've found the burgers and hot dogs to be alright, and certainly better than the dry, foul-tasting 'Rollover' jobs you seem to get at a lot of grounds now.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Complain direct if people are that upset;

Weaver Bros 01293 775885
Po Box 188, Redhill, RH1 5FX

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
A couple of years ago I got some chips at the van nearest the turnstiles. The taste of them was unimaginable, and the use of very cheap oil left a very bad taste in my mouth... So I went across to get myself an ice-cream to clear my palette. I told the girl in the ice cream van 'I need this because I just got some chips over there and they were disgusting' - her reply: "what'cha talking about? me 'usband runs that one"...

Also the Vicky Pollard lookalike once looked at me like I stole her Lonsdale Hoody when I took back a Diet Coke that was 6 months out of date...

And finally, why do they always say "Can I help you?" What a stupid ****ing question...

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
You probably not had really good chips then. Seriously, they ain't much.

Agree 100% not sure what the chips in the family stand catering are cooked in but it does leave a horrible taste.

Bottom line is everything at the catering is overpriced. Not a really bad problem if the food was half decent, but its not. Now we just take drinks and chocolate in with us, so the club is missing out on revenue because they are too lazy to ensure standards are maintained.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ate a burger y'day, 1st one in a while at withdean, from the "caterers" adjacent to the turnstiles. Had really upset stomach last night and this morning so this enough of a reminder for me that I really shouldn't be eating that crap. And the bit of white "grit" I found as I chewed wasn't, well, lets just say I haven't any teeth or fillings missing so where that came from god only knows.

Generally all football fare is utter crap and at rip off prices but that's because the average persons accepts it. I once worked out using our sales to caterers prices at work that these guys make approx. £3.20 profit on a £3.50 cheese burger. Minus whatever rent they have to pay to be there of course; which is probably a rip off too. And so the world turns......

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
... and what is the point of the blue gloves? The same gloved server handles the food and also handles the money - which has just been handled by a punter who's possibly just sneezed or coughed into his own hand.

All the gloves seem to do is protect the server from the bacteria on the cash, and from the effect of direct contact with the food.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The answer is simple, don't eat the shit, get your mum to pack you an apple before you go to the game instead, isn't that right Withdean Wanderer?

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here