Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bacon Baguette HORROR SHOW - Part Deux

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
after the shambles that was the bacon baguette at the tranmere game (http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=171921&highlight=scotty) and having given the product a wide berth against southampton, i braved a return to the once great withdean food product on saturday

needless to say, it was one i instantly regretted. although not as bad as the tranmere DISGRACE, it came pretty bloody close. ive never put anything quite as salty or disgusting in my mouth, and that is saying something

p100410_1556.jpg

more pictures HERE The We Are Brighton Blog - Following the Albion in the football league if you think you can STOMACH them

how can the once jewell in the withdean caterers crown have fallen so far?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Err we can't see what you purchased...........

Ah we can now and yes that looks disgusting still you should have known better from previous experiences

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's a f***ing disgrace. They haven't even cut the baguette in half with a knife.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why does it even come out like that? SHIRLEY they just have to cook two pieces of bacon on a grill, so how does the back get all mashed up? Have you offended them?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and I suspect the problem may be cheap bacon with a high water content.

The bacon is basically being stewed I think.

I should have taken it back because it was shocking. No more food at Withdean for me. There is a basic standard you expect at that price (and you know it's over priced) but it has fallen well below it.

It's a shame because the bacon baguettes used to be more than edible.

Quite hard to f*ck one of those up, but they managed it at Withdean.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i have been MUGGED

macky

Dec 28, 2004
you paid £4.50 for that you must have been hungry

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Ohhhhh, this reminds me! I was going to make a thread about it.

There I was, standing in the queue for the food stall in the North Stand at half time. After a lengthy wait, I get to the front, ordered myself some chips and a bottle of coke. just as I finish my order, a chap comes back up to the stall hands over two slightly drunk Tanga/Fanta (can't remember which) bottles and says "these taste awful, they are out of date!", the staff then check for the date, reads out loud, for all to hear, "November 09! We've been selling these all day, no-one else has mentioned it!", and handed the lad two (in-date) bottles of coke.

:facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
i have been MUGGED

I'd send a picture of it to the club, although they have probably already seen it.

To be honest, I've not been able to attend many Withdean matches this season but it's obvious that the standards have slipped a bit.

The brown sauce (for instance) is absolutely minging. I never actually tasted cheap brown sauce before, but it reminded me of that really really cheap tomato ketchup that I assumed had been withdrawn from sale years ago because of a European judgement.

They might as well serve up corned beef, because the bacon resembles it. I also noted the bloke serving it was wearing a single plastic glove Michael Jackson style but shovelling in the bacon and touching all the food with the uncovered one :lolol:

If anyone is the club is reading this, please have a word. If you are going to sell bacon like that at least charge the price it is worth, I'd imagine somewhere below the 99p bracket.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, you weren't. You knew full well what you were buying. ???

It was a daft purchase, but it was hardly a mugging. Unless the serving lady put your money into a swag bag?

We've developed as a nation and although I expect football ground style food at a football ground, you'd struggle to find anything that bad anywhere else these days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We've developed as a nation and although I expect football ground style food at a football ground, you'd struggle to find anything that bad anywhere else these days.

All I'm saying is that if you buy the thing once, and hate it, don't buy it for a second time and post it up on here again in repeated disgust. We get it, the bacon rolls are a joke. Don't buy them. Simples?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The club is being seriously let down by the "caterers".........and I use that word in its loosest form.

The caterer in the Northstand is an affront to edible food, and elsewhere in the southstand, the standard is absolutely shocking. As Clapham Gull says, the brown suace/water is minging.

It is a shame that so much money and effort is being put in by Tony Bloom, yet our Chief Executive ( ? Ken Brown) obviously feels that "slops" are good enough for us supporters.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
All I'm saying is that if you buy the thing once, and hate it, don't buy it for a second time and post it up on here again in repeated disgust. We get it, the bacon rolls are a joke. Don't buy them. Simples?

1) could have been a one off!

2) worth raising an issue pre falmer that the catering is a disgrace

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
All I was saying is that if you buy the thing once, and hate it, don't buy it for a second time and post it up on here again in repeated disgust. We get it, the bacon rolls are a joke. Don't buy them. Simples?

Hardly the point though is it.

This is bacon and bread, should be really simply shouldn't it ?

I never quite understand how people like yourself are accepting of low standards or think they aren't worthy of comment.

It's bloody food unless that passed you by and on sale at a shocking price that would put central London to shame.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree the catering is crap, but it's all been said before. It's said after every game, and it's monotonous. Granted, seeing the picture in this thread does bring back classic memories from the last moan in.. but still. It's been done before.

I would vote the burgers as most shocking food at the Withdean though. The pies are pretty putrid, and clearly the bacon thing isn't overly appetising either. But to be fair, their chips are absolutely oustanding. I will say that for them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here