Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away days

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Pretty sure it was Cardiff fans in Shrewsbury. Saturday after we'd won the league in midweek, and most of the players were still hungover.
There was an awful lot of rushing around in the Shrewsbury that day. Reminded me of the 70's and early 80's.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's only 2 words you need for an away day:

TRAIN BEERS

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Blackpool away in our first season back in the championship. It fell the weekend after my 18th birthday, so me and a few mates went up for the weekend. Cracked on to the drink as soon as we got on the train at about 11am Friday morning and didn't stop until about 4am on Sunday. Brilliant weekend.

Away game highlights include:
  • Finding a club that was doing any drink for £1, and enjoying it despite it was a shithole, until one of our group managed to throw up on the DJ. (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• Seeing my mate, still drunk from the night before managed to chip a ball out of water feature, off two walls and in whilst playing Crazy golf. (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• A mate pulling a local in a club, acting like a smug prick, only to find out when he got home with her that her ex-boyfriend had stabbed her before and knew she'd brought somebody home. The change in tone in his texts changed rapidly. :laugh: (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• Losing all my friends and ending up singing Neyo - Sexy Love to a bar full of middle-aged Derby skinheads. Being bought a pint for my fantastic efforts (V Derby in the play-offs)

• Ending up in the home end with my flag, forgetting my flag didn't have anything BHA related on it, and walking towards the away end with flag spread out and chanting. All the Brighton fans starting chanting "Who's the w*nker with the flag?" (v Derby 0-0)

• Stopping at the side of a motorway for a piss and my mate being so drunk he stumbled down the embankment and went face first straight through a wooden fence ( v Forest 2-2 )

• Finding a club that did all you could drink beer for £5 after 12 hours on the lash. Seeing mate get kicked out of the club a few hours later for being too drunk (v QPR 0-0)

• After 12 of us had managed to not comment on the fact the barman was a dwarf for over 2 hours, one of my mates whilst sloshed casually pops the question "So mate, just how tall are you?" (v Bolton 2-0 win)

• The burger van just outside Yeovils ground, selling the nicest food I've had at a football match.

• Getting away with being 18 to buy beers, and then managing to get in to the ground as an U-16 a couple of hours later (v Bristol City 1-0 win)

• Getting a call from a mate at about 10pm saying he was in a park, in Northampton and he needed to find a hospital... despite him being in London an hour previously (v Walsall 3-1 win)

• Being on a bus full of people going mentaland chanting after we'd lost to Stoke (3-0 in a cup game.)

• Managing to smuggle a few beers in to the Kingsmeadow stadium, and my mate being plastered after 3 bottles. (v AFC Wimbledon 2-0 in a friendly)

They're the ones of my top of head that are safe to post on here, I LOVE away games.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Blackpool away in our first season back in the championship. It fell the weekend after my 18th birthday, so me and a few mates went up for the weekend. Cracked on to the drink as soon as we got on the train at about 11am Friday morning and didn't stop until about 4am on Sunday. Brilliant weekend.

Away game highlights include:
  • Finding a club that was doing any drink for £1, and enjoying it despite it was a shithole, until one of our group managed to throw up on the DJ. (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• Seeing my mate, still drunk from the night before managed to chip a ball out of water feature, off two walls and in whilst playing Crazy golf. (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• A mate pulling a local in a club, acting like a smug prick, only to find out when he got home with her that her ex-boyfriend had stabbed her before and knew she'd brought somebody home. The change in tone in his texts changed rapidly. :laugh: (Blackpool 3-1 loss)

• Losing all my friends and ending up singing Neyo - Sexy Love to a bar full of middle-aged Derby skinheads. Being bought a pint for my fantastic efforts (V Derby in the play-offs)

• Ending up in the home end with my flag, forgetting my flag didn't have anything BHA related on it, and walking towards the away end with flag spread out and chanting. All the Brighton fans starting chanting "Who's the w*nker with the flag?" (v Derby 0-0)

• Stopping at the side of a motorway for a piss and my mate being so drunk he stumbled down the embankment and went face first straight through a wooden fence ( v Forest 2-2 )

• Finding a club that did all you could drink beer for £5 after 12 hours on the lash. Seeing mate get kicked out of the club a few hours later for being too drunk (v QPR 0-0)

• After 12 of us had managed to not comment on the fact the barman was a dwarf for over 2 hours, one of my mates whilst sloshed casually pops the question "So mate, just how tall are you?" (v Bolton 2-0 win)

• The burger van just outside Yeovils ground, selling the nicest food I've had at a football match.

• Getting away with being 18 to buy beers, and then managing to get in to the ground as an U-16 a couple of hours later (v Bristol City 1-0 win)

• Getting a call from a mate at about 10pm saying he was in a park, in Northampton and he needed to find a hospital... despite him being in London an hour previously (v Walsall 3-1 win)

• Being on a bus full of people going mentaland chanting after we'd lost to Stoke (3-0 in a cup game.)

• Managing to smuggle a few beers in to the Kingsmeadow stadium, and my mate being plastered after 3 bottles. (v AFC Wimbledon 2-0 in a friendly)

They're the ones of my top of head that are safe to post on here, I LOVE away games.

My away days so far seem quite dull now!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Thanks to massive investment in recent years Birmingham should be considered by all,especially if you like a tipple.
Excellent day out for a jolly with your mates.Would rate it far better than Nottingham now.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Nottingham is the best away day for me but the best time I've had recently was actually Blackburn away last season or season before when it was rained off. Found ourselves in a Blackburn pub being bought drinks by their fans as a sort of kudos for making the effort.

Most of them thought it was a con given that Accrington Stanley were playing just a few miles down the road. Reckon the sprinklers were left on to force an abandonment since we were in form and they decidedly weren't.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Would agree about Birmingham, great boozers and quite a good place to stroll around.

One of my memorable away trips has got to be Tranmere back in 2008/9? Train upto Liverpool, then ferry cross a foggy Mersey, with sound track. Quick couple of pints in a Birkenhead pub, bus to ground. Game was gash and we lost.

But then, train back to Liverpool to drown my sorrows in some fantastic pubs, with friendly locals.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Pretty sure it was Cardiff fans in Shrewsbury. Saturday after we'd won the league in midweek, and most of the players were still hungover.

Yep indeed , they wanted a go at some Brighton getting off the train before tackling the EDL on the Welsh bridge or English bridge whichever it was .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There was an awful lot of rushing around in the Shrewsbury that day. Reminded me of the 70's and early 80's.

After spending most of the previous evening and morning drinking about all I remember was going on the pitch after the game. Oh and going for a drink in the evening.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Used to love a west country weekend away. Whenever we played Exeter, Torquay or Plymouth it would be a weekend on the drink normally in Torquay. Exeter was a grerat night out too but Torquay was brilliant every time.

Seems like a long time ago now.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
My best away day ever was at Glasgow Rangers v Chelsea pre season friendly. Even the Chelsea Pensioneres were up on stage singing with a pint in their hands before the game. Amazing in the ground when you had fans from both sides singing all the same songs at the same time. Was a sell out. Great day. No segregation in any of the pubs, we were welcomed with open arms. A day that will stay with me forever.....

Strange trip for a Brighton fan?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Best away day? Newcastle, 1979. Night before in pub with mates who left at 10:00 to get overnight coaches. I flew up Saturday morning. Few beers at Gatwick, drank a couple of the stadium bars dry, more beer at Newcastle airport, cant remember plane journey home, pub on return, Brighton station to see in trains with players. Wow!
There was a game where a few of us stayed in a pub with John Vinicombe (Argus reporter RIP) and missed the match.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Predictable ones from me, but:

-Fulham this season was utterly brilliant. Nice area, loads of quality pubs, lovely old style ground that lends itself to a crackling atmosphere, short journey by train...what's not to like? I guess the win helped too :)

-always enjoyed Nottingham trips, the best ones being the final match of Poyet's promotion campaign in 2011, and last season's last ditch play-off sealing game.

-would recommend Cardiff, although they always give us midweek games there, which is a shame. Good city for a day/evening out, and the ground (more specifically the Cardiff staff/stewards) are top class.

-and Bristol. Very pleased to see they seem to be coming up from League One again, as it's another fine city for an away day. Ashton Gate is a bit of a trek from the station, but I can advise you of plenty of pubs with which to break the journey up :)

The worst? Yeovil. A pig to get to. The station isn't even in Yeovil, but in some village outside the town, and you have to get a cab or bus into Yeovil itself, before getting another one to the ground. The town is a bit crap, and the stadium a bit meh. If you drive, the car park takes forever to get out of, and the traffic queues around even their tiny ground are horrendous. Plus it's a rubbish drive on terrible country roads for much of it. Huish Park is in the middle of a modern housing estate, with little else around it to enjoy. Oh, and on the trains again: there is one, single train per hour that goes from Yeovil Junction to London. It's the slowest journey ever, and it leaves about three minutes after the final whistle, leaving however many hundred football fans milling around aimlessly on the platforms for an hour or so after you get there. Somerset can be a very pleasant county, but I can think of nothing whatsoever to recommend Yeovil. I've had more fun in Hartlepool :ohmy:

Wasn't it at that game the photo for your avatar was taken?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
In the 70s and 80s after away games up north (if we went by car) it always seemed that we ended up in Northampton for the night. It seemed that no matter what pub we went in, most of the time there were Brighton fans we knew. The talk in the ground was where was the stop on the way home and it always ''get to Northampton for a drink.'' So if we were still in the 70s and 80s - -go to Northampton.Today - haven't a clue.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wigan nice Middlesbrough a turd of a place

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Best away games have to be any of the West Midlands clubs as that allows a day out in Birmingham. Either of the Nottingham clubs, Leeds and either of the Sheffield clubs.

I also like the trips where you are traveling miles to some horrible place that you would never dream of going to unless the Albion were there (like Burnley for example). They can be some of the best ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here