Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Watch: Lee in Hospital - McGrath "extensive ligament damage"

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
From SportingLife.com:

Australia have been left reeling with the news that pace bowler Brett Lee is set to miss the third Test at Old Trafford.

Lee, who very nearly guided Australia to victory in the second Test at Edgbaston on Sunday with a heroic unbeaten 43, is hospitalised in Birmingham with an infection in his left knee.

Lee's expected absence is a double blow in the light of Glenn McGrath's absence at the present time.

Australia's physiotherapist Errol Alcott claims Lee's chances of playing at Old Trafford are at best 50-50.

But he also admitted the paceman will not be travelling with the rest of the team to Manchester on Tuesday.

Alcott explained: "Brett is comfortable in hospital. He is presently on an intravenous drip with antibiotics being administered.

"He has also had a blood test and we will probably know the result tomorrow morning."

Alcott, who tactfully declined to name the hospital in which Lee is detained, added: "We are optimistic that the therapy he is having will have an early resolution and he will be released as soon as possible. Beyond this I do not know what is happening."

Lee is reported to have noticed some soreness on Sunday morning just 45 minutes prior to batting against England.

The soreness came from an old abrasion sustained in the first Test at Lord's and is just above the left kneecap.

Alcott said: "There were a few suspect areas around the abrasion. We called in the doctor who gave Lee some antibiotics.

"He was sore all over from the hiding he got in his innings.

"I checked him out this morning and he was concerned about his knee.

"He was uncomfortable, it was swollen and it was very hot.

"Generally, the medical people are confident about the therapy he is getting at the hospital and that he is going to respond.

"But the medical people will not be happy about releasing him until his clinical signs have been resolved."

Alcott insists McGrath is progressing as well as can be expected after his pre-match injury which ruled him out of the Edgbaston Test.

Alcott said: "He is coming along. He had a scan today for professional curiosity which disclosed extensive ligament damage which we were aware of when the accident occurred.

"We will now have to wait for the full medical evidence on the injury before we know how long he will be out of action."

Alcott declined to hazard a guess on how long McGrath will be sidelined but his immediate prospects are not too bright and he may be forced to miss most of the remaining games of the tour.

========
Strewth!

Not nice to see anyone injured but this has to give us a hell of a chance at Old Trafford! Hard to see McGrath back any time soon either.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
We mustn't gloat but it does give us a good chance

i want to beat them with them having a full squad otherwise all the aussues and geoff botcott types, will say "you only beat a weak aussie side" etc

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We've (read Albion/Eng football/Eng cricket) lost plenty of matches/series with key players injured and the only statistic in the books is the result. You can only play the 11 guys on the pitch with you!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I dont care how many injuries they have! The history books will always say England if we win these Ashes.

Flintoff and Jones were knackered in the last series in Australia and you dont hear that being brought up by Ausies very often when gloating that we got spanked!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All we need now is for Warne to sprain his spinning wrist wanking, when all the easy birds realise he's a fat pie-eating convict, and we'll be laughing.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Richie Morris said:
I am counting down the days now until Warne gets arthritis in his wrist.

Oh, come now.

Why wish years of misery on the guy when a trapped nerve for the next few weeks would do a job for us.

Whatever happens in this series (please God, let us win it!), I quite like the look of our squad for the next trip to Oz - when several of their ageing side will surely be beyond their best.

As an aside, I couldn't help misleading my Aussie cousin into thinking they'd won by text message yesterday, as he came out of the Cirque De Soliel in Perth not knowing the score. Sadly he'd passed on the "news" to several others in the departing crowd before he got my second message apologising for the error and correctly reporting an England win!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Shouldn't be seen celebrating but

hooray.gif

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Calling said:
i want to beat them with them having a full squad otherwise all the aussues and geoff botcott types, will say "you only beat a weak aussie side" etc
True, no one whinges like a beaten Aussie - look how they STILL go on about Jardine and the Bodyline series.

However they've also said, frequently, that their 2nd XI could beat us: so it would be a bit rich (but typical) if McGrath and Lee don't play, they lose and then they bleat that they weren't at full strength. Also I think I want Lee to play, apart from Vaughan the rest play him pretty well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great. It's lunch with my Aussie mate today and now I can really wind her up.

The rest of the Aussie pace attack is nothing: I reckon they'll bring in McGill though, he's a tough proposition on a turning pitc and Old Trafford can be a bit of a bunsen. But we must be favourites now.

Stumpy Tim

In some ways it may not be great news. Australia have MacGill who is a class leg spinner, and we don't seem to be playing them too well! MacGill actually got to 100 test wickets quicker than any other Australia player in history, including Warne & McGrath. And they have Tait who is very quick, and took a tonne of wickets in Shield cricket over here. He should be playing ahead of Gillespie & Kaspo anyway

MacGill has a better strike rate than Warne and also plays in England. Though they reckon Old Trafford will be a bit pacey.
But best for us, with their spinners that the aussies bat last.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
fine - we'll just beat you with an understrength side....

I wouldn't gloat about injuries in your opposition....it appears pathetic

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tedebear said:
fine - we'll just beat you with an understrength side....

I wouldn't gloat about injuries in your opposition....it appears pathetic

OI shut it Aussie

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There aren't many of us gloating tedebear. Even if there isn't a great deal between the starting line ups, it has to be said that you have far more strength in depth than we do. On current form, we'd be screwed if any one of Flintoff, Harmison or Pieterson got injured.

On the other hand, Australia have been able to put out a second XI that would probably be 4th best in the world (at worst) for well over a decade now.

The fact that you have 3 top notch strike bowlers and a brilliant leg spinner who can't get into the team says it all really.

As we are saying is the aussie under strenght, you're now bringing in a world class spinner!???

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Fair enough Simster - people saying they are waiting for Shane Warne to get arthritis in his wrist just wind me up - its completely out of order - OK some people don't like us because we are extremely competitive and this often comes off as arrogance (and some of them are arrogant), but wishing someone gets arthritis is pathetic...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here