Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Augustin Battipiedi

Yoda

English & European
With all due respect nobody is saying they no better than the manager atall!!! People are allowed their opinion. I was shocked when Batti was in the starting line up vs Brizzle as he was woeful at Woking (everyone in the pub I was in watching it agreed). He was then shite against Brizzle IMO. He then started vs Saints and again I was very shocked and would've gone with Smith. He was woeful again on Tues... I'm sure if Gus was honest he'd probably agree he was wrong to start him Tues vs Saints as it was a massive occasion...

Funnily enough I would say that in this instance those that thought he shouldn't have started the last two games were proved right!

To be fair Sheeb's almost EVERYONE was woeful at Woking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It seems most agree with you, I wasn't there so really can't argue but it sounded from the commentary like the whole team was struggling in the 1st half. Seems a little unfair that Batti bears the brunt of the team struggling for the 1st 35 mins :shrug:

From Guy Butters comments the player struggling the most in that period was Calderon.

Not blaming the whole teams struggle on him but it was a big reason as we were over run in midfield. I don't think Gus etc should give up on him for one min - it's their jobs to try get the best out of him. I just personally cannot see him improving that much - the basics aren't there. At least El-Abd showed a bit of class when he was considered poor by many...

I dunno what it is I just can't see Batti being up to it. Like I said I would LOVE to be proved wrong...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if you were, but it may take some time.

Feel free to bounce it if I am - I'll TAKE IT like a man :)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It seems most agree with you, I wasn't there so really can't argue but it sounded from the commentary like the whole team was struggling in the 1st half. Seems a little unfair that Batti bears the brunt of the team struggling for the 1st 35 mins :shrug:

From Guy Butters comments the player struggling the most in that period was Calderon.

He was wrong in my view - the player who struggled most was Painter who could hardly stay on his feet or make a tackle. Batti wasn't good and was rightly subbed off but was not the worst player in the side. Give him time and a settled place in the side before writing him off

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Thought he was poor against Woking & Southampton, didn't get to the Brizzie game.
I think his main problem is his size. If he's going to be played as a deep lying playmaker he's going to have to bulk up a bit to be able to handle the physical demands of the league. Everytime he was on the ball against Soton he was push off it like a carrier bag in the wind.
When he has impressed me is the times i've seen him playing in a more forward role running at the defence.
I still don't know what to think of him, Its unfair to judge him so early on but i don't see where he fits in the team.

RSBLUEANDWHITEARMY

Aug 5, 2009
North Stand
He was wrong in my view - the player who struggled most was Painter who could hardly stay on his feet or make a tackle. Batti wasn't good and was rightly subbed off but was not the worst player in the side. Give him time and a settled place in the side before writing him off

Painter, huh ???
I personally thought he had a good game. He was his usual self, steady and reliable; although he did give away the ball a few times, but who didn't?
He also handled one of the promising futures of English football, in Chamberlain, very well.
Just my opinion but I thought there were many worse players on the pitch in white and red and blue and white.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I think he's shit as whenever he's been on the pitch for us he has been utter cack. However I haven't written him off yet, if he's still terrible at the end of the season I will.

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
I don't really rate him, and don't see how he can start for us, but I just let Gus do his job, he knows best.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
I agree. I've seen 7 of his 9 appearances (only 3 starts) and while he hasn't looked great so far, people need to be patient. Remember he is only 20, this is his first season in England and, most important of all, Gus clearly sees something in him. That's good enough for me.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He was well out of his depth on Tuesday but he's not ready for first team football yet. If we'd had Navarro, Sparrow or Bridcutt available to play there's no way he'd have been in the team.

You wouldn't expect Caskey or Kasim to come on and be ready for the first team yet but Batti is ahead of them in the pecking order and got his chance. In terms of his development though it'll have been very beneficial.

If Caskey had come in would people be saying get rid? No chance. Batti's not good enough yet, but with good coaching and some game time he'll improve.

Sep 1, 2010
The problem with some people is that as soon as they think a player is no good, they think we should get rid. ridiculous. Yes, he needs more development and more time, but let's not slaughter the guy, Poyet sees something in him and i know who's opinion i respect more to be honest. We all have an opinion on who should play/tactics etc... but there is a tonne of players over the yrs that have proven fans wrong(as said before, El-Abd?) so i feel his assassination is somewhat unfair.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The problem with some people is that as soon as they think a player is no good, they think we should get rid. ridiculous. Yes, he needs more development and more time, but let's not slaughter the guy, Poyet sees something in him and i know who's opinion i respect more to be honest. We all have an opinion on who should play/tactics etc... but there is a tonne of players over the yrs that have proven fans wrong(as said before, El-Abd?) so i feel his assassination is somewhat unfair.

Sorry if you feel it was an 'assassination' - i didnt mean it to be - just an opinion that he won't ever be good enough. I'm not arguing he shouldn't be given more time to prove himself as long as he's under contract. I think the difference is I just can't see anything particularly good to work with and improve - Don't want to be overly critical of the lad on here though, it's just my view.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've seen enough to think he could be a pretty good league one player. Not sure about any higher than that, but only time will tell once he settles in more and gets used to the game. Wouldn't mind him starting against FCUM but don't think he should be starting league games ahead of Bridcutt, Dicker, Kish or Sparrow.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok how about against Bristol Rovers where, in the first half, he won a ball on the corner of our box. He was closed down tightly by at least two opposition players and instead of hoofing it away he controlled the ball, jinked to one side and played a simple ball between the opposition players to another Brighton player. If you missed that, Gus then stood up and applauded him.
In the same game he also won a header on the by-line in the opposition box which he put brilliantly across the edge of the six yard line, we could have easily scored from that chance.

Ok he is not always completely there all the time, but to say he has NOTHING to work with is, frankly, blind of people. Will he progress, I don't know. But he definitely has some skill and ability at this level.
It frustrates me when players do great things and people ignore them but have a photographic memory when it comes to the dodgy passes they made.

Nope didn't notice it. Did notice the 17 misplaced passed straight to Brizzle players and only noticed one good thing at Saints where he held someone off and played an easy pass. To be fair one Swallow doesn't make a thingy (cant remember saying) - I could turn on the edge of the box at Withers and play an easy ball... So could many on here. I actually think Chesney Christ who posts on here is a better player than Batti :)

Seriously just can't see him making it. I said feel free to bounce the thread if I'm eventually proven wrong like many were re Navarro - I'll take it on the chin. I will also make sure I bounce this as soon as he's flopped over here and back playing in the Argie div 4 :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Baz and Batty were both brought over from Argentina on 12 month contracts. They are still fringe 1st team players as far as I'm concerned as part of the development squad. Remember , we all slagged off Guy Butters when he first played for us as a slow and fat has been. :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Baz and Batty were both brought over from Argentina on 12 month contracts. They are still fringe 1st team players as far as I'm concerned as part of the development squad. Remember , we all slagged off Guy Butters when he first played for us as a slow and fat has been. :lol:

We did. And we also slagged off Nav and El-Abd (well most people did at some point)

On the other hand we also slagged off:
David Lee
Federico Turienzo
Dirk Lehman
Doug Loft
etc
etc

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Only time will tell. He bossed a reserve game I saw too (I know players can look good there and bollocks in the first team) so I think he has something. Whether he progresses or not none of us know really. I just don't think anyone can truly write him of as shit yet.

I'll never completely write anyone off who's under contract with us as I said I may be wrong like... I appreciate your points I honestly do and yes I've not seen reserve games where I understand Baz has been pretty good too. Time will tell... It's only been the last 3 games that I've really formed this opinion which although seems a little harsh is just a hunch I have...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here