Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Augustin Battipiedi

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Clearly endured a TORRID time on Tuesday, but why have so many people written him off as "shit"? He's only played 3 games hasn't he?

Maybe he's one of those players who needs a run of games before he starts proving his worth. Alan Navarro? Going further back, Richie Barker?

Personally, I'd quite like to see him start on Saturday. We ought to be able to batter this pub team from Manchester so if he looks sorely out of place against them, then I'd agree that maybe alarm bells will ring.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
My view is that he need to bulk a bit and get used to the pace of the game. Soton tried to make the game 100 mile an hour and he would always struggle. Give him til the end of the season at least. Same with Baz

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I said after Brizzle (and was proved right Tues at the mo) there's 2 problems with him:

A) He can't attack

B) He can't defend

He's also a complete fairy and v lightweight. I'm all up for giving him more time etc and letting him settle in etc etc etc but my honest opinion is he's f***ing awful (he has been the last 3 games). I don't often slag our players off but don't think he's up to it whatsoever - I think it's obvious too. Same with Sandaza. But hey as I said that's my opinion and I know others won't have written him off just yet...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As I said after Brizzle (and was proved right Tues at the mo) there's 2 problems with him:

A) He can't attack

B) He can't defend

He's also a complete fairy and v lightweight. I'm all up for giving him more time etc and letting him settle in etc etc etc but my honest opinion is he's f***ing awful (he has been the last 3 games). I don't often slag our players off but don't think he's up to it whatsoever - I think it's obvious too. Same with Sandaza. But hey as I said that's my opinion and I know others won't have written him off just yet...

This. Just planning my trip to Buenos Aires to drop him off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Love it when fans know better than the manager who has got us to the top of the table :lolol:

Gus, stop picking shit players ! NEVER give them more than 45 mins to prove themselves either.

Adam El Abd anyone?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Well, Gus must see something in him. Personally I thought he showed some nice touches and passed generally ok. Definitely not worse than any others really. Yes, he was pushed off the ball easily, but we musn't forget this was against Southampton who are a very strong, physically as well as ability wise, so was always going to struggle considering this was only his what, third/fourth match in English football.

From what I have heard he played quite well against Peterborough and Exeter, but it seemed the team as a whole played well. However, Jamie Smith has played the same amount of games this season or roundabouts, as Battipiedi, and has impressed generally in all of them. This being said, he has had more experience of the English game, so of course it is not right to write off Batti just yet.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I trust Gus judgement on Batti as he sees him in training every day etc but I think Smith deserves to start over him on Saturday.

Edit: How wierd, when I view this post the word "start" is showing twice but when I clicked to edit it, it is only showing once.

Last edited:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I think he has shown flashes of potential but hes not looking up to it at the mo. On tues he looked like a boy chasing around in a man’s game. His booking had been coming as a result of him not being quite up with the game and I was praying Gus took him off before he got sent off. The way he was going that was looking increasingly likely.

Maybe some time in the reserves to toughen up might do him good because at present he is too much of a passenger in the side.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry but he is awful. Everytime I have seen him he looks off the pace, slow, useless on the ball, and just can't attack or defend. Cannot see what he brings, looks way out of his depth, even against Woking last week, hopefully sparrow returns soon so we don't have to see him again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Love it when fans know better than the manager who has got us to the top of the table :lolol:

Gus, stop picking shit players ! NEVER give them more than 45 mins to prove themselves either.

Adam El Abd anyone?

With all due respect nobody is saying they no better than the manager atall!!! People are allowed their opinion. I was shocked when Batti was in the starting line up vs Brizzle as he was woeful at Woking (everyone in the pub I was in watching it agreed). He was then shite against Brizzle IMO. He then started vs Saints and again I was very shocked and would've gone with Smith. He was woeful again on Tues... I'm sure if Gus was honest he'd probably agree he was wrong to start him Tues vs Saints as it was a massive occasion...

Funnily enough I would say that in this instance those that thought he shouldn't have started the last two games were proved right!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that he is worthy of a start in the team but a place on the bench. I think that he is finding the pace of the game and not having time on the ball telling on him and also he is not very pacy himself. More time needed as a fringe player. Not sure that he should start on Saturday as we need to kill this off first time and not go to a reply, so perhaps replace Kish late on..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Do people think that it's impossible for players to improve?

He needs to up his game I agree, but there's enough there to at least give him a chance. Both the argies will get better given a bit of time. Batti shouldn't be starting though and I think it's hurting his progress at the moment. It's a bit like when holroyd was thrown in at the deep end too early and it ruined him

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Where did you drop off Alan Navarro? Because quite honestly, I rather think we could do with him now.

Since my THREAT to take Alan back to Liverpool he UPPED his game. Im hoping the same can be said of Batti but I fear not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With all due respect nobody is saying they no better than the manager atall!!! People are allowed their opinion. I was shocked when Batti was in the starting line up vs Brizzle as he was woeful at Woking (everyone in the pub I was in watching it agreed). He was then shite against Brizzle IMO. He then started vs Saints and again I was very shocked and would've gone with Smith. He was woeful again on Tues... I'm sure if Gus was honest he'd probably agree he was wrong to start him Tues vs Saints as it was a massive occasion...

Funnily enough I would say that in this instance those that thought he shouldn't have started the last two games were proved right!

It seems most agree with you, I wasn't there so really can't argue but it sounded from the commentary like the whole team was struggling in the 1st half. Seems a little unfair that Batti bears the brunt of the team struggling for the 1st 35 mins :shrug:

From Guy Butters comments the player struggling the most in that period was Calderon.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I think his main problem is that he is out of position all the time - woking's first goal was a prime example,where he was stuck in no mans land on the edge of our box in the build up, instead of pressing the man who eventually reached the byline to cross for greer to OG.

From what I have seen he can pass and looks comfortable on the ball but doesnt know instinctively where he should be or where he should be going next.

We bulked up immensely when Smith replaced him on Tuesday night, and for that reason he is currently a liability ion big games. But to write him off when Gus keeps picking himn shows a lack of faith in the manager which is not really justifiable IMHO.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And he can STOP these Hollywood passes that give the ball straight back to the opposition as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jury still out. Seems he played well a while back (hit the bar a few times I remember, and looked good when on against Exeter) but not ready to be a first teamer yet.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If Sparrow or Nav or Bridcutt was fit NO WAY would Batti be starting or dare I say on the bench.

But if I was Smith, as I said before, I would be well f***ed off that Batti is starting before me especially with all these injuries.

PLUS he was the only one wearing gloves (GK excepted) on Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here