Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attempted child abduction

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
You can do worse than get your children lessons in self-defence.

It may not be the complete answer against an adult with mean intentions, but - then again it might.

Tell them to aim for the wedding vegetables area.;)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm sure read of a similar situation happening in Brighton last week (Argus).

yes, here it is

Children at a junior school have been put on “stranger danger” alert after a man tried to lure an 11-year-old girl into bushes.

The girl, who is a pupil at Stanford Junior School in Brighton, returned home severely shaken after a man made an inappropriate approach to her in Preston Park on Thursday.

The schoolgirl was on her way home when the incident happened at around 5pm near the bushes next to the cycledrome.

She told her mother what happened and the incident was reported to police immediately.

A spokeswoman for Sussex Police said the girl described the man as white with a shaven head and was thought to be in his 20s.

On Friday 'stranger danger' letters went out to all parents at the school, which is based in Stanford Road, warning them to ensure their children to be vigilant.

The letter, from headteacher Giovanni Franceschi, said: "We would like to bring to your attention that an incident occurred after school yesterday in Preston Park involving one of our pupils.

"A man made an inappropriate approach towards the pupil.

"The pupil was unharmed but police are investigating.

"Please remind your child of the appropriate actions they need to take to maintain their own safety in relation to strangers and that we need to be additionally vigilant at this point in time."

One parent at the school said: "It has made us aware that we need to be on our guard and make sure our children understand the importance of staying with other children on their way home and not to be caught in isolated areas alone.

"From time to time these things do happen and parent and pupil awareness is the only way to limit the risk of something more serious coming about."

A spokeswoman from Sussex Police said: "Police were called on Thursday May 14 after an 11-year-old girl walking through Preston Park at around 5.10pm stated that she saw a man acting suspiciously close to bushes by the cycledrome.

“His behaviour upset the girl who reported the matter to her mother who in turn contacted police. The man is described as being in his 20s, white, with a shaven head."

Anyone who witnessed a man fitting this description acting suspiciously in Preston Park at this time is asked to contact Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999.

The school was unavailable to comment.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wondered why the police had sealed it off - thought it was some drug raid or something. Glad she is ok.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
On the BBC website now:

BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Man approaches 11-year-old girl

Man approaches 11-year-old girl

A man tried to grab the hand of an 11-year-old schoolgirl near a newsagent in Brighton, police have said.

Sussex Police were called to the scene after the girl reported she had been approached by an unknown man in Coombe Road on Wednesday at about 0825 BST.

Det Sgt Dave Osland said officers were treating the matter very seriously and appealed for information.

The man was described as white, about 20 years old, 6ft, with dark spiky hair, wearing a black hooded Nike top.

Det Sgt Osland said: "The man's behaviour was very upsetting to the young girl."

Hova Seagull

Feb 18, 2009
Hove
I'm sure read of a similar situation happening in Brighton last week (Argus).

yes, here it is

alarming that there is possiably two different contact paedophile sex offenders roaming Brighton, no doubt the dedicated workers in the Police and the Porbation service are already fastidiously searching through the sex offenders register, and following the correct processess in order to protect the public

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
alarming that there is possiably two different contact paedophile sex offenders roaming Brighton, no doubt the dedicated workers in the Police and the Porbation service are already fastidiously searching through the sex offenders register, and following the correct processess in order to protect the public

Might not be on the register yet.

Glad to hear that she's ok deb - must have been very scary.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Really glad she is OK
I lived in that area for some time before moving up here and it had started to go downhill then lots of break-ins and drug related crime, real pity as most round there are the salt.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
alarming that there is possiably two different contact paedophile sex offenders roaming Brighton

It may be the same guy, you just don't know.

Descriptions given by witnesses are notoriously unreliable- because one witness describes the man she saw as shaven headed and another as dark spiky hair, doesn't eliminate the possiblity of it being the same man.

One person's "shaven headed" is another person's #2 crop.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Descriptions given by witnesses are notoriously unreliable- because one witness describes the man she saw as shaven headed and another as dark spiky hair, doesn't eliminate the possiblity of it being the same man.

And IC3 becomes IC1 - we've seen your C55s Edna ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've always liked it when i watch cop show when the copper says, "I C 1 Male!"

They probably go "you're NICKED, son" and "shut it you slag" on a regular basis too, am I right?
:lolol:

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
:rant: what twats in the world, when i was at middle school we seemed to have a message every other week,

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
They probably go "you're NICKED, son" and "shut it you slag" on a regular basis too, am I right?
:lolol:

:clap2:

The best part is the 'non police people'......" I aint F:censored:ing done nofink you f:censored:fin p:censored:ks!", whilst bashing some poor bugger in or swallowing 10 billian grams of crack!

what idiotas some people are.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just to let any parents or anyone that has kids that go to school in the Brighton area my neice nearly got abducted on her way to school today

She was walking up Coombe Road in Brighton when a man tried to grab her down an allyway near the shop at the bottom of the road and abduct her

Luckly she managed to pull herself away and run to school and she is at home safe and well

Christ, that's terrible. Hope they catch the bastard. Glad your niece is ok.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:clap2:

The best part is the 'non police people'......" I aint F:censored:ing done nofink you f:censored:fin p:censored:ks!", whilst bashing some poor bugger in or swallowing 10 billian grams of crack!

what idiotas some people are.

Trust me, most people "ain't done nuffink" when they get nicked, particularly after a few jars.

Funny then, how regularly the courts disagree with that assertion.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

You're dead right. When me, Mrs ELS and two friends of ours stumbled across a dead body a couple of years back, we all had to give statements to the police. And our descriptions of what the bloke looked like were totally different :nono:

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
As a dad of 5 its a worry every time they step outside, so glad she is ok and hope she not going to be affected by what has happened.
There should be tougher laws for these sickos

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here