Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

at what age were you when you went to your first AWAY game on your own ??

simply the best

Feb 23, 2011
as the thread title states , at what age were you when you went to your first AWAY game on your own ???

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bournemouth Away in 1989 to 1990 season I think. I believe that would make me 13 years old. Shortly afterwards , away to Oldham in the FA cup 3rd round. I am sure someone can remind me of the year. I think Nelson scored first and then they won 2 - 1 on that bloody plastic pitch.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I went to watch Chelsea vs Leeds when I was about 14 with a mate who was a Chelsea fan. The Albion - I think I was about 16 or 17 - but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
i was 15 - away at millwall in 09. 3 days after the west ham millwall game. I was shitting myself!

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
14 - Southend.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
First away footie matches: Selhurst, Wembley.....Oh and Queens St. Horsham

Going to Selhurst Park with mates from Horsham aged 14 in the early '70s when footie hooliganism was at its peak. As soon as any Albion fans started with the banter and chanting we were treated like animals by the boys in blue and their rather enthusiastic canine friends. Got even more spicy a few years later during the Mullery v Venables era.

Probably the best experience as a young fan although more than a little imtimidating at the time was England v Scotland circa 1971 - my first trip to Wembley, age 13. The atmosphere was amazing - felt like about two thirds of the 100k crowd were Scots with about another 5k Scots locked out, all of them dressed like extras from Braveheart most slightly worse for wear and all baying for English blood. No quarter given on or off the pitch. 1-0 to England which made the exit after interesting.....but no prob really.

By contrast we used to watch the odd Horsham game in the Isthmian League at Queens St....now that was a walk on the wild side. Scarily hot Bovril...

Although we mainly followed B&HA - we just wanted to watch footie when and where we could afford it. Don't recall any parental concerns 'cos we were fairly sensible and kids were very self sufficient then. All part of one's early footie rites of passage. Great times!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Bournemouth Away in 1989 to 1990 season I think. I believe that would make me 13 years old. Shortly afterwards , away to Oldham in the FA cup 3rd round. I am sure someone can remind me of the year. I think Nelson scored first and then they won 2 - 1 on that bloody plastic pitch.

Oldham was 1991,1-0 up ay half time ( lots of crowd trouble) finally lost 2-1 .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My first away match was Portsmouth aged 14. I went with my old mate Noel on the train. We also went to Palace and West Brom that year on the train.....great days.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Challis game at Stamford Bridge may have been my first away game. Went with a mate from school. I'd have been 14.

Unless we played away at Aldershot earlier in that season, as I generally used to think it was there that I broke my away duck. Actually, just checked. April 1976 it was, away at Aldershot. I was 13. It was the game when the crossbar got broken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here