Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] At last - an end to Stubhub and Viagogo in sight

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The absolute worst is that Eddie Hearn actually has a partnership with Stubhub for boxing events so they get a huge amount of the tickets before they ever go on sale to the public.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I hope these remaining companies fold pronto, so I'll have a chance of getting some tickets this time round for the baseball. Because last year it was a complete write-off thanks directly to them and their like.

Think they're on general sale at the moment, and it hasn't sold out. The bloke I am going with says he keeps getting bombarded with sales emails, despite having already bought ours.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I’ve never understood is that if these sites can sell tickets at such high prices because there is the demand and the willingness to pay then why don’t the promoters charge the higher price in the first place?

My own limited experience suggests gig prices have gone up a fair bit over the last couple of years, and I assumed that this was in reaction to the secondary market (as well as the shift to artists earning more from touring than record sales (streaming) these days).

The secondary market does serve a useful function. It should be possible to sell on a ticket that can no longer be used, and those who missed out on a first wave of ticket sales should be able to buy such tickets, but putting a price ceiling of face value on the sale of any ticket would immediately end the touting market.

I have no issues with profit-making firms, such as StubHub, facilitating such a marketplace for secondary sales and charging a reasonable administration fee for each transaction.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My own limited experience suggests gig prices have gone up a fair bit over the last couple of years, and I assumed that this was in reaction to the secondary market (as well as the shift to artists earning more from touring than record sales (streaming) these days).

The secondary market does serve a useful function. It should be possible to sell on a ticket that can no longer be used, and those who missed out on a first wave of ticket sales should be able to buy such tickets, but putting a price ceiling of face value on the sale of any ticket would immediately end the touting market.

I have no issues with profit-making firms, such as StubHub, facilitating such a marketplace for secondary sales and charging a reasonable administration fee for each transaction.

Not necessarily. Scarlet mist has been doing it well for yonks, presumably making modest advertising revenues rather than unacceptably high ‘supply led’ pricing - which is bollocks.

Ironically just leave that to actual tours who are prepared to take on the risk of buying spares on the day and not having punters there to drive demand led pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The organisations who sell the tickets in the first place are surely complicit. They know who is buying the tickets they’re selling, so whilst I welcome the demise of viagogo, stubhub etc, I can’t help thinking that the likes of tickemaster should also be investigated, and have restrictions put on how they are allowed to sell tickets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not necessarily. Scarlet mist has been doing it well for yonks, presumably making modest advertising revenues rather than unacceptably high ‘supply led’ pricing - which is bollocks.

I'm not sure what you're saying "not necessarily" to. I said I have no issues with commercial organisations facilitating a marketplace and earning from doing so, and I don't.

I also said that tickets should only be sold on at face value, or below, to eradicate those who buy only to sell-on for profit.

I'm well aware of Scarlet Mist (and Twickets), and there are clearly different models that can be utilised for the market maker to fund the provision of their service - be it admin fees or advertising. I don't really care about that aspect.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fairly certain Ticketmaster owns part of or outright owns one of the resale companies. At the same time this could be utter bullshit.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Tickets for Rage Against the Machine in Vancouver went on sale today at $170 + taxes and fees, they're already being re-sold for just shy of $1,000 on re-sale sites.

You're absolute scum if you re-sell a ticket for profit.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Tickets for Rage Against the Machine in Vancouver went on sale today at $170 + taxes and fees, they're already being re-sold for just shy of $1,000 on re-sale sites.

Who on NSC as season ticket holder can honestly say if they were offered £1000 for their ticket against Liverpool they`d turn it down. obviously I would !!

I`d guess in a stadium of 30,000 at least 25,000 would take the money. am I wrong?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who on NSC as season ticket holder can honestly say if they were offered £1000 for their ticket against Liverpool they`d turn it down.

Try me.....by PM.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Someone's making a killing in the name of allegedly 'providing a service.'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who on NSC as season ticket holder can honestly say if they were offered £1000 for their ticket against Liverpool they`d turn it down. obviously I would !!

I`d guess in a stadium of 30,000 at least 25,000 would take the money. am I wrong?

But there's a difference. IF you as an individual chose to do that, then grubby as it is, that was already your ticket. It had already been sold to you as part of a 9 month season ticket commitment.

The likes of Stubhub and Viagogo have sophisticated online "bots" to hoover up all the tickets online before anyone else has even had an opportunity to buy them through legit channels, at a stroke removing the availability. They quite literally HARVEST them from the get-go, then sell them on at monstrously inflated prices. Because they're then in possession, and because they can. No consequences.

If you sold your ticket on to a dipper at vast profit, and the club found out, then you would in all probability lose your season ticket. And RIGHTLY so.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The likes of Stubhub and Viagogo have sophisticated online "bots" to hoover up all the tickets online before anyone else has even had an opportunity to buy them through legit channels, at a stroke removing the availability. They quite literally HARVEST them from the get-go, then sell them on at monstrously inflated prices. Because they're then in possession, and because they can. No consequences..

Hang on a minute - where are you getting that from?

My understanding is these two platforms permit others to sell on tickets at vastly inflated prices, where demand exists. StubHub and Viagogo don't buy and sell tickets themselves, they profit due to the element they charge for each completed transaction.

I'm minded to delete your post, as it's actionable, unless you can back it up very quickly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hang on a minute - where are you getting that from?

My understanding is these two platforms permit others to sell on tickets at vastly inflated prices, where demand exists. StubHub and Viagogo don't buy and sell tickets themselves, they profit due to the element they charge for each completed transaction.

I'm minded to delete your post, as it's actionable, unless you can back it up very quickly.

The Guardian:

Peter Hunter and David Smith, trading as Ticket Wiz and BZZ, used multiple identifies and bots to buy £4m worth of tickets to events including gigs by Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift as well as West End shows such as Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The pair sold them on secondary ticketing websites for £10.8m, jurors at Leeds crown court were told.

During the three-month trial, prosecutors described the married pair as “dishonest fraudsters motivated by greed”. They were found guilty of fraudulent trading and possessing an article for fraud on Thursday.

The verdict comes after the Guardian exposed Hunter as one of the most powerful ticket touts in the UK, as part of an investigation into secondary ticketing.

Two of the sites, GetMeIn and Seatwave, have since been closed down. The two largest players, StubHub and Viagogo, are still trading despite multiple complaints from consumers, the condemnation of MPs and an abortive lawsuit against Viagogo from the consumer regulator.

Delete by all means, but I took that as meaning Stubhub and Viagogo use similar methods. Dunno how else they'd hoover up such vast numbers of tickets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Guardian:

Delete by all means, but I took that as meaning Stubhub and Viagogo use similar methods. Dunno how else they'd hoover up such vast numbers of tickets.

I don’t think there’s any evidence to show they use these methods themselves, but they certainly have facilitated touts who do, and have challenged legislation to outlaw the use of bots etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don’t think there’s any evidence to show they use these methods themselves, but they certainly have facilitated touts who do, and have challenged legislation to outlaw the use of bots etc.

Is there a difference then ?

BBC radio news stated that they used "bots".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here