Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ask the club - roof amex

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
"Windtunnel tests" :lolol:

Its a STADIUM, not a bloody Mercedes.

Wind tunnel testing is an integral part of the design process in many industries. Whether an
object is stationary or mobile, wind tunnels provide insight into the effects of air as it moves over
or around the test model.

Since the physics of flight depend on the proper flow of air to produce lift and reduce drag, wind
tunnel evaluations are essential in the aerospace industry. Even in an age of advanced computer
simulation, aerospace engineers still rely on the testing of physical models to verify the computer
data and establish baseline aerodynamic information.

In the never-ending quest for more efficient automobiles, aerodynamics play a very important
part in vehicle design. Routinely, the large automotive companies employ wind tunnels to analyze
their latest models. While these companies may test an entire vehicle, they will also evaluate the
aerodynamics of individual components, such as grilles, side view mirrors, air dams, rear-deck
spoilers and roof racks.

If aerodynamics is important for passenger cars, consider how vital it is in the race car industry.
In a high speed event, even a slight advantage can be the difference between the checkered flag
and “the agony of defeat.” Race teams routinely subject scale models to wind tunnel testing as
well as full-size cars or individual parts (figure 1).

To make the models for the wind tunnel, automotive and aerospace companies have relied on
traditional manufacturing operations. They have used milling, turning and fabrication to convert
metal and plastic into test models. These operations require programming, set up and operator
supervision, which adds to lead time and cost. Considering the amount of material that ends up
as chips on the floor, the material costs can be high.

Cars and planes are not the only beneficiaries of wind tunnel testing. This analysis is just as
important for stationary structures. In the architectural industry, much consideration is given
to the effects of wind on high-rise buildings, bridges and stadiums, especially when they are
located in areas prone to extreme weather. A scale model of the structure is attached to a test
rig that has surrounding terrain and ground features. The test rig is placed in the tunnel, and
measurements are collected. These results are combined with historical data on wind speeds to
predict the total load on the structure and the possible effects.

In the case of architectural models, a skilled model maker will spend days building these
structures by hand. Crafted from foam board, acrylic and other materials, the scale models are
representative of the design but rarely true to every detail.

Powered by Google Docs

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Wind tunnel testing is an integral part of the design process in many industries. Whether an
object is stationary or mobile, wind tunnels provide insight into the effects of air as it moves over
or around the test model.

Since the physics of flight depend on the proper flow of air to produce lift and reduce drag, wind
tunnel evaluations are essential in the aerospace industry. Even in an age of advanced computer
simulation, aerospace engineers still rely on the testing of physical models to verify the computer
data and establish baseline aerodynamic information.

In the never-ending quest for more efficient automobiles, aerodynamics play a very important
part in vehicle design. Routinely, the large automotive companies employ wind tunnels to analyze
their latest models. While these companies may test an entire vehicle, they will also evaluate the
aerodynamics of individual components, such as grilles, side view mirrors, air dams, rear-deck
spoilers and roof racks.

If aerodynamics is important for passenger cars, consider how vital it is in the race car industry.
In a high speed event, even a slight advantage can be the difference between the checkered flag
and “the agony of defeat.” Race teams routinely subject scale models to wind tunnel testing as
well as full-size cars or individual parts (figure 1).

To make the models for the wind tunnel, automotive and aerospace companies have relied on
traditional manufacturing operations. They have used milling, turning and fabrication to convert
metal and plastic into test models. These operations require programming, set up and operator
supervision, which adds to lead time and cost. Considering the amount of material that ends up
as chips on the floor, the material costs can be high.

Cars and planes are not the only beneficiaries of wind tunnel testing. This analysis is just as
important for stationary structures. In the architectural industry, much consideration is given
to the effects of wind on high-rise buildings, bridges and stadiums, especially when they are
located in areas prone to extreme weather. A scale model of the structure is attached to a test
rig that has surrounding terrain and ground features. The test rig is placed in the tunnel, and
measurements are collected. These results are combined with historical data on wind speeds to
predict the total load on the structure and the possible effects.

In the case of architectural models, a skilled model maker will spend days building these
structures by hand. Crafted from foam board, acrylic and other materials, the scale models are
representative of the design but rarely true to every detail.
And people say I waffle on!!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
People are forgetting that you'll only be getting wet for 45 minutes at a time. As soon as the half time and full time whistle blows, you'll be in a beautiful, warm concourse watching the telebox!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People are forgetting that you'll only be getting wet for 45 minutes at a time. As soon as the half time and full time whistle blows, you'll be in a beautiful, warm concourse watching the telebox!

Do we know if they're definitely going to be heated?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should have built it like the Parken in Copenhagen, fully shut roof and heating up to 15 degrees, was almost tropical!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would have thought that at the design stage of the stadium a lot of thought would have been put into the aerodynamics and their effect on the comfort of those seated within the arena. (ie windtunnel tests etc.). I still believe that once the superstructure is completed there will be less effect of the wind and rain upon those paying customers.

You'll have noticed that it was posted from a document not my own words......

Fair play, I had no idea they put scales models of stadiums (and the surrounding area) inside wind tunnels. I'd question whether they actually did this process with the Amex though, being as we're not susceptible to extreme weather. As for there being less effect once the 'superstructure' is complete - I can't see how that is going to change significantly now. The major build has been done, its primarily internal stuff and the surrounding area that remains to be put in place.

When it rains, if you're getting wet on the terrace there now, then I cannot see its going to be any different when the stadium opens.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Fair play, I had no idea they put scales models of stadiums (and the surrounding area) inside wind tunnels. I'd question whether they actually did this process with the Amex though, being as we're not susceptible to extreme weather. As for there being less effect once the 'superstructure' is complete - I can't see how that is going to change significantly now. The major build has been done, its primarily internal stuff and the surrounding area that remains to be put in place.

When it rains, if you're getting wet on the terrace there now, then I cannot see its going to be any different when the stadium opens.

A large-scale roof such as that at Falmer could act as a wing (and therefore susceptible to lift) and that's why windtunnels would be used to ensure safety at design stage. Even if we don't experience extreme weather on a regular basis I'm pretty sure the stadium has been tested.

In fact check out page three of this document which shows a model of the Amex Stadium. Whether this company did the testing - I might have to delve further.

http://media.bmt.org/bmt_media/resources/42/Stadia.pdf

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A large-scale roof such as that at Falmer could act as a wing (and therefore susceptible to lift) and that's why windtunnels would be used to ensure safety at design stage. Even if we don't experience extreme weather on a regular basis I'm pretty sure the stadium has been tested.

In fact check out page three of this document which shows a model ot the Amex Stadium. Whether this company did the testing I might have to delve further.

Well they sure as hell didnt build that stadium for Subbuteo purposes now did they, I would say they popped it into the wind tunnel Easy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm no expert but the cherry pickers have been doing quite a bit to the roof in the last few days, it's quite wet today and yet the terraces don't look very wet on the webcam, apart from the first few rows (which you would expect)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In fact check out page three of this document which shows a model of the Amex Stadium. Whether this company did the testing - I might have to delve further.

I'll NEVER doubt you again whitelion. Its been an education :thumbsup:

Well they sure as hell didnt build that stadium for Subbuteo purposes now did they, I would say they popped it into the wind tunnel Easy.

WOW
I want that model SO badly. I have no idea where I would put it, but I WANT it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They'll have to do their tests again - that model is out of date. The second building (to the right) isn't happening, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here