Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asian players, why aren't there more of them ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I notice yet again that we had an asian oficial. Seems that we are getting more and more of them which would start to be in proportion of the Asians in the U.K.

I just wonder though why there are so few professional footballers. It could be argued that the traditional sports of the Asian community are cricket and Hockey but as the vast majority of asians are fully intergrated to western society and attitude it's currious as to why we see a mere handful of players.

Now any person of Asian decent of an age to play proffesional football is likely to have been born and bred in the UK and educated accordingly. Whilst we don't have that many asians here in other places they are a far from small minority and sometimes the majority.

Just wonder if anybody has any idea why so few are playing.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
combination of factors probably.

yes it's not their main sporting interest.
therefore not many have joined clubs from a young age as yet.
therefore we're not seeing them come up through the ranks yet.
i would expect that now more and more asians are being born in uk they'll take to football like every other kid and you'll start seeing more and more asian players in the near future.

but maybe thats a load of crap :)

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Thought the Asian linesman yesterday was crap. He missed two clear cut offside decisions yesterday even though they would have been AGAINST us. He also GAVE Iwelumo offside in the 2nd half even though he was clearly in his own half when the ball was played. He would have been clear through if that decision had not been given.
Both McGee and Bobby Gould were screaming at him because of all the suspect decisions he was making. If all the Asians playing football are all as bad then maybe that's why they dont get a game.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes but once the PC brigade read it you'll get a bit of abuse ....

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Baichung Bhutia was the first Asian player to score in the football league.

Other than him and Zeshan Rehman I cannot think of any other Asian players.

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
fatboy said:
Baichung Bhutia was the first Asian player to score in the football league.

Other than him and Zeshan Rehman I cannot think of any other Asian players.
Says it all really. They're all crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here