Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Have i missed something bar some tabloid gossip?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
OK he's not alone in being an overpaid prick, but he does seem to be utterly self-absorbed and on a completely different planet to the majority of the human race.

Not defending Cashley, I have very little time for him, but the above could be said of numerous footballers these days.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can you REALLY blame someone for leaving for better clubs and more money?

By all means slate him for being a spoon, but the whole football mercenary line is so dated.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agreed. They should cap wages at 5k a wk for the top, top players in my opinion. And cap transfer fees at 10 million for the very best...

Football has changed so much - after watching the Gazza documentry a few weeks ago I was disappointed with the realisation of how our great sport has changed for the wrose :down:

I'm not sure how to read that. Was Gazza someone you could respect then?
A wife-beating alcoholic last seen pissed trying to give chicken to Raull Moat?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley

By all means slate him for being a spoon, but the whole football mercenary line is so dated.

Yes but does somebody on more money a week than the vast majority of the country earn a year really need any more money?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

No, but you can slate him for saying that a weekly salary more than twice the UK's average annual salary is an "insult"

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont understand how ANYONE can come on here and moan about someone trying to earn more money!

It doesnt matter how much he already earns if he gets the oppertunity to earn some more then he is going to do it.

I would be AMAZED if anyone on here would turn down more money for doing their job.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not defending Cashley, I have very little time for him, but the above could be said of numerous footballers these days.

Hence my statement that he's not alone in being an overpaid prick.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No, but you can slate him for saying that a weekly salary more than twice the UK's average annual salary is an "insult"

I disagree. If someone offered me, say 30 per cent less than a colleague who I knew I was better than had been offered I would class that as insulting, regardless of how much or how little the actual sum was.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed. They should cap wages at 5k a wk for the top, top players in my opinion. And cap transfer fees at 10 million for the very best...

Football has changed so much - after watching the Gazza documentry a few weeks ago I was disappointed with the realisation of how our great sport has changed for the wrose :down:

So, can you just explain what scientific formula you used to allow the top players to be paid £250,000 per year maximum. Does that mean they can't also earn anything from endorsing products. Are you also going to look at other sports such as Golf? What about Frankie Dettori, does he earn over £250k a year and are you going to cap that? Perhaps we should look at the rest of the entertainment industry and cap all performers salaries at £250k. There would be very few sportsman left in the country and nothing worth watching on the telly or at the cinema. You wouldn't see any top bands performing live because it wouldn't be worth it for just £250k.

I note you are in sales so no doubt you earn commission. What would you do if that was taken away or capped. Not much incentive there.

Whether we like it or not, what drives the wages of players is the money the clubs earn from TV and that means the money subscribers are willing to pay for the likes of sky sports. It's basically a free market. If the world and his wife didn't subscribe then the players couldn't earn as much. But I would suggest in real terms it is decades since the very top earners earnt anything less than £250k.

And another thing, what have the wages got to do with the way England played. Look at Spain, I very much suspect all their players are on more than £5K a week.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure how to read that. Was Gazza someone you could respect then?
A wife-beating alcoholic last seen pissed trying to give chicken to Raull Moat?

:laugh: No the doc was called Gazza's tears but was about England the 1990 WC as a whole! Things like Terry Butcher pointing to the 3 Lions before the game / running round the dressing room punching walls cos he's so hyped up and patriotic. The team lounging about throwing cake in eachothers faces / having race nights etc etc - it was just like a lads holiday but serious football played in between. It was a diff culture to today. X boxes etc and players being 'bored'. They're all over paid.

As for the Moat thing I thought it was hilarious until I realised he was off his head - very sad as Gazza was unbelievable on the pitch :down:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, can you just explain what scientific formula you used to allow the top players to be paid £250,000 per year maximum. Does that mean they can't also earn anything from endorsing products. Are you also going to look at other sports such as Golf? What about Frankie Dettori, does he earn over £250k a year and are you going to cap that? Perhaps we should look at the rest of the entertainment industry and cap all performers salaries at £250k. There would be very few sportsman left in the country and nothing worth watching on the telly or at the cinema. You wouldn't see any top bands performing live because it wouldn't be worth it for just £250k.

I note you are in sales so no doubt you earn commission. What would you do if that was taken away or capped. Not much incentive there.

Whether we like it or not, what drives the wages of players is the money the clubs earn from TV and that means the money subscribers are willing to pay for the likes of sky sports. It's basically a free market. If the world and his wife didn't subscribe then the players couldn't earn as much. But I would suggest in real terms it is decades since the very top earners earnt anything less than £250k.

And another thing, what have the wages got to do with the way England played. Look at Spain, I very much suspect all their players are on more than £5K a week.

Wooah Nelly that's a bit of a scathing attack! I just bounced those figures off the top of my head - I just think Ambulance drivers / surgeons etc should earn more than footballers in principle! They are paid way too much money - 10k a wk is too much money for anyone IMO.

I don't think you can liken golf players / jockeys to footballers in that respect as a footballer is 1/25th of a team / squad.

As for re-searching what I do for a living (i didn't realise that was on my profile) I don't know whether to feel honoured or scared :clap2:

As for your last point - I never said I was just talking about England - I meant football in general. That doc showed how different it is now that's all. And I do think some players hearts arent in it as much as they're playing for money rather than self-belief / sense of achievment / utilising their talent at the top - my opinion mush :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The closest English player we have to a world class one

Disagree 100%. Wayne Rooney is a class above many - just cos of the WC don't forget it... Same goes for Lamps / Gerrard IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Terry-Butcher-Sweden1.jpg

I would cuffing LOVE to have some England players with THIS amount of pride and desire to wear the shirt these days.

(Can you believe the tiniest spot of blood nowadays and you have to change shirts, yet in the 80's you could get away with this !)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Terry-Butcher-Sweden1.jpg

I would cuffing LOVE to have some England players with THIS amount of pride and desire to wear the shirt these days.

(Can you believe the tiniest spot of blood nowadays and you have to change shirts, yet in the 80's you could get away with this !)

Too right Easy - glad you can see the passion that's been lost. Alan Partridge :sheep:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here