Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Our biggest win of the season was the 5-1 v Barnsley in which Barnes was man of the match scoring two, and having two other shots take deflections off cms and in. Barnes ran that game. He also played in the game v Sheffield Wednesday which is still held up by some as our best performance this season.

Both games against extremely poor teams, both at the time playing like L1 teams,.... though Weds have improved since.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Our biggest win of the season was the 5-1 v Barnsley in which Barnes was man of the match scoring two, and having two other shots take deflections off cms and in. Barnes ran that game. He also played in the game v Sheffield Wednesday which is still held up by some as our best performance this season.

That day Barnsley had TEN first team players missing. Their side was essentially Craig Davies and the usual reserve team...

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
all this fuss....

surely what it's about is whoever Gus picks, if they are wearing the shirt then we back them. We have 3 games to make a little bit of history, and the last thing we need is sniping...sure Barnes was stupid but by all accounts he has learned his lesson and if thats the case then he can certainly do a job. I may not be his biggest fan, but on the whole he does his best even (or especially) when played out of position, and could be an important player for us. I acccept that everyone will have their own opinion, but for the good of the team lets make the Amex noisier than a noisy thing and show the boys that we back them 100%.

Please please can we just get behind the team on Saturday in particular.....or is that too much to ask for?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The way I see it you guys have two options:

1. Continue slagging him off left right and centre, don't bother to sing any positive songs about him, watch him fail and then turn round and say "I told you so", basking in the full glory of your omnipotent football knowledge while we face another season in the Championship.

OR

2. Get behind the lad, sing his songs loud and proud, boost his confidence and then suffer the embarrasment of having a bit of egg on face after he fires us into the Premier League.
And you just know which they'd rather :facepalm:

But EP, most are proposing he flipping start on Saturday
No they aren't at all. People are only saying that if we have so many injuries / knackered players that Gus thinks Barnes should start, then why not.

he wont rest Ulloa with 3 games to go. dont be silly.
Well he won't rest Ulloa for the hell of it, but if Ulloa is completely knackered, he will. Hopefully Ulloa is fit and will play.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The way I see it you guys have two options:

1. Continue slagging him off left right and centre, don't bother to sing any positive songs about him, watch him fail and then turn round and say "I told you so", basking in the full glory of your omnipotent football knowledge while we face another season in the Championship.

OR

2. Get behind the lad, sing his songs loud and proud, boost his confidence and then suffer the embarrasment of having a bit of egg on face after he fires us into the Premier League.

He WILL have a part to play before this season is out, whether it be in the starting line up or off the bench. And the fans can do their bit to make sure that that part is a positive one.

You forgot option 3: Nomatter what happens, if he plays well and scores the winner in the Play Off Final or gets sent off for breaking Ulloa's face, batter him relentlessly and facelessly behind a keyboard.

Option 2 for me though chief.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
And you just know which they'd rather :facepalm:

No they aren't at all. People are only saying that if we have so many injuries / knackered players that Gus thinks Barnes should start, then why not.

Well he won't rest Ulloa for the hell of it, but if Ulloa is completely knackered, he will. Hopefully Ulloa is fit and will play.

Exactly - anyone who saw the Peterboro game on Tuesday will realise that there is a distinct possibility of Ulloa not starting, he didnt just look knackered, he was limping and at one stage looked as if he was going to collapse... I don't think there is an issue with his fitness, just that playing that lone striker while being kicked all over the place has taken it's toll on him, and I think he needs a rest to be fresh for the last 2 games and hopefully beyond.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You forgot option 3: Nomatter what happens, if he plays well and scores the winner in the Play Off Final or gets sent off for breaking Ulloa's face, batter him relentlessly and facelessly behind a keyboard.

Option 2 for me though chief.

Not facelessly......its me, Somerset.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
all this fuss....

surely what it's about is whoever Gus picks, if they are wearing the shirt then we back them. We have 3 games to make a little bit of history, and the last thing we need is sniping...sure Barnes was stupid but by all accounts he has learned his lesson and if thats the case then he can certainly do a job. I may not be his biggest fan, but on the whole he does his best even (or especially) when played out of position, and could be an important player for us. I acccept that everyone will have their own opinion, but for the good of the team lets make the Amex noisier than a noisy thing and show the boys that we back them 100%.

Please please can we just get behind the team on Saturday in particular.....or is that too much to ask for?

This is a fine post and agree with every aspect, never had a problem with Barnes always think he does his bit. He puts more in to games than Barn door Billy and Dobbie ever did collectively. Barnes will play a vital cover role in the remaining games whether he comes on from the bench or starts.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Looks like he will be in the team, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Striker Barnes has completed a seven-match suspension imposed by the Football Association after he appeared to trip referee Nigel Miller at Bolton last month.
Poyet admits the 23-year-old would not be walking straight back into his side were it not for injuries to fellow frontmen Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins.

He told reporters: "He is very happy, excited, a different person than what he was a month ago and ready.
"When you're injured you can do nothing about it but when you are fit and training every day but can do nothing at the end of the week because you're suspended it's difficult. But it's his own mistake so there is nothing anyone can do. He is ready and he is happy to be back.

"I think he is lucky. If Macca or Hoskins were fit and playing all right, Ash would not have a chance to come back, it's as simple as that.
"I hope he uses that luck for the good of the team. That means performing and not doing anything silly.
"If he can do that and helps us we will help him like we always do. It's a two-way thing, so we'll see. If he plays he'll have a chance to help us."

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Looks like he will be in the team, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Striker Barnes has completed a seven-match suspension imposed by the Football Association after he appeared to trip referee Nigel Miller at Bolton last month.
Poyet admits the 23-year-old would not be walking straight back into his side were it not for injuries to fellow frontmen Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins.

He told reporters: "He is very happy, excited, a different person than what he was a month ago and ready.
"When you're injured you can do nothing about it but when you are fit and training every day but can do nothing at the end of the week because you're suspended it's difficult. But it's his own mistake so there is nothing anyone can do. He is ready and he is happy to be back.

"I think he is lucky. If Macca or Hoskins were fit and playing all right, Ash would not have a chance to come back, it's as simple as that.
"I hope he uses that luck for the good of the team. That means performing and not doing anything silly.
"If he can do that and helps us we will help him like we always do. It's a two-way thing, so we'll see. If he plays he'll have a chance to help us."
Of course he is going to be chomping at the bit. His contract is up in the summer and he has a lot to prove in the remaining games.

C

CT1

all this fuss....

Here here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here