Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Plymouth Argyle | Team | Profiles | Ashley Barnes

It seems that for the most part only young players are signed. This I agree with. I am fed up with the older players just picking up the pay packet and the temporary loan signings. You cannot build a side with loan signings (Reserve team practice for Premier clubs).

really...were you there today and see just what sort of player he is?

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
how was he today?other than the obvious fact that he scored for the best team in the land

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
how was he today?other than the obvious fact that he scored for the best team in the land

Looked very fleet-footed, didn't fall over when lent on, give their No.5 some abuse when challenged :D, and could have had a 2nd. Good interplay with Hendrie as well. Southampton should be very scared on Thursday, coming to the Theatre of Trees in the dark, with all the threats we can now bring off the bench :smokin:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Wasn't on that long, but to be honest looked good. Keeper made the goal rather easy for him, but he put it in teh right place so good luck to him. Great start and good luck going forward

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
RE - I saw Ashley Barnes play his loan spell with Eastbourne Borough for the home games last season and he was superb, easily the best player on the pitch and a cut above the conference. He was really pacey, could score and his ability to turn players on a sixpence and push on was great to watch. Not surprised Torquay asked him to go on loan cos he ran rings round them at boro. He definitely gives 110% too.

I suspect he`s not fit only being played as sub most the time and he still has a lot to prove for us in our league, but I for one am really pleased with the signing, I just told my Eastbourne Borough mates and theyre sick they couldnt get him back and really pleased for us.

Cant say I didnt tell ya!!

Seriously, looks better than holroyd already after playing 20 mins, yeah the goalie should have done better but he got the shot off with his 1st touch of the game which is more than murray and forster have done at times given a similar opportunity, he looks strong and he was unselfish, on at least 2 occasions laid off a lovely pass for someone else to have a bash and got the goalie to make a good save and with his left foot. Great signing, well done barnesy, keep it up lad.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looked a far better prospect than Chris Holdroyd in every aspect of his play.

I think that's a bit unfair on Holroyd, unless of course you've seen a lot more of Barnes than just the 20 mins he played today. I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think there are other issues to consider today as well.

1) When Barnes came on we were playing beautiful flowing football, every one's confidence was up, and we were cruising the game.

2) Barnes had Hendrie to play off, who, however short of match fitness he is, showed just why he spent so long in the prem.

3) Tranmere were piss poor.

Holroyd has had none of the above in his favour. Certainly Holroyd has bags more pace than Barnes from the little I saw today. It may well prove that that's all Holroyd has over Barnes, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Well done today Barnes on an excellent debut. :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Because that is what we made them look as we completely outpklayed them but Barnes looked as if he knew what was expexcted and did it. Only on a short time but looked very promising.

I don't disagree with any of that :thumbsup:

We were an absolute joy to watch today in every department. :clap2:

I'm really pleased for Barnes too and he didn't put a foot wrong.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Harsh and rather unfair...
Both players look like very useful signings on early impressions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Some have said that is unfair but I was more impressed by what I saw from Barnes today than I have been with anything that Chris Holroyd has done. Only time will tell who is the best prospect and whether or not either will make it in the Football League. Hopefully both will be a huge success especially if we sign Barnes permenantly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
movement looked good loked like he would score but againsta very bad team

Tranmere were piss poor.

Well done today Barnes on an excellent debut. :clap:

Prior to yesterday's game, Tranmere had only lost one game away from home in 2010. We made them look poor with our passing and control of the game. Barnes looked assured and took his goal well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here