Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
hate "fans" like you. bet you look like a proper twat when you try and kick a ball about.
Are you a bit simple Sam. Have you not noticed you are the only one who keeps making stupid one line comments, without actually saying anything about the thread. If only there was a part of NSC where pricks like you weren't allowed. Whatever you think, try and debate and not act like a simpleton.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well you got something right.(joke)

But I'll put you down a a typical NSC follower then by comment six. Very short term view.

A player called Bryan Wade once socred four goals on his debut. Didnt make him a great player. Played a couple more games and was gone I think.

Same as if Barnes scores a hat trick, doesn't mean he's excellent finished player. See the post above. This time next year, if hes still here and we go up, I bet he'll score only a few by this stage. Be the same player, though, no know doubt the same people defending him now, will be calling him a ****, even though his performance will be the same.

But if he did score a hat trick now matter how he scores it, a lot on here will be clapping like seals and saying how great he is, but give it a few poor games, and he'll be a **** again, until he scores a few more. My opinion of him wont change, until he improves his game. If you read back, when everyone was slagging off Murray earlier in teh season, I was totally on his side, as I can see hes a class player, and those same people who were calling him a **** and a waste of space, and now praying he signs a new contract, and with your number six comment I think you've just put yourself in that catagory, which is a shame, because although think you know much about football other than what you see on the surface, you are one of the better debaters on here until that stupid comment.

I am not an idiot. Barnes isn't the answer to our striker "Problem". Although i currently struggle to see how 21 goals between the pair evenly split 10-11 is a problem, with Wood scoring lately, Sandaza scoring when ever he plays almost, and a midfield that chip in. Obviously following a promotion we'll need to bulk and improve the squad but there is nothing to say Barnes may not still feature, still score five, six goals that mean we get a point where we would get none, a win where we were drawing. Even if its once or twice, when we get promoted i EXPECT to fight relegation.

As for looking at now, yeah. Of course I am looking at now. WE can't build for the future when we don't know how much of a pull Falmer, how much of a pull league one or championship football may be. we need to build a solid table topping side, because that is part of the requirement for surviving the league above. Then we add, and turn it in to a fighting squad for the Championship and that involves a change in the pecking order.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whatever you think, try and debate and not act like a simpleton.

OK. Gus Poyet is an ex International football player, who has also played with distinction in the Premiership and in Spain. He has a UEFA Pro coaching badge. He sees the players in training every day and chooses the team on the back of that. He makes some good choices and some bad ones. I thought he made an error getting rid of Nicky Forster, but on the basis of our progression in the last twelve months I now think he is 100% correct.

You are an ex Sussex County League full back. I don't know what coaching qualifications you have, but feel free to state those and also why your opinions are more valid/relevant than those of Gus.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I notice as a typical student you do pick and chose what you reply too. You seem to reply to everying else before that reply, so try replying to all of what I said instead of trying to miss out the bits you dont want to reply to. You get away it is most of the time, but soon people pick out the true fuckwits. Yes, it does sound a stupid comment about Hart, but not thats hes ever going to play again, but at least Hart can read the game, which Barnes can't and was point of the post. But picking out just thaty one part, and ignoring the main points makes to look a fuckwit...... to people that understand proper football, not students....

Could say the same to you sir, certainly were very selective about parts of my post to reply to.. But then I am also a student, and thus clearly must also know nothing about football either..

You really are making some fantastic points tonight sir, keep digging the old hole. I'll sit back and enjoy the fantastic effort the manager and team are putting in to keep us top on such a short budget..

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Murray is a £300k striker, Noone is a £300k winger, Wood is an international on loan from a Prem team. They are all better all round players than Ash and that is reflected in their fees/backgrounds.

Barnes is an £80k striker from Plymouth's reserves. You get what you pay for. No one is claiming he is going to get us promoted single handed, but he has done well for the team this season (and last). Until someone else better comes along why not get behind the lad?

I agree with you, and I suspect so do most on here, but that doesn't make him shit or deserving of the accusations of cowardice your direct at him (ironically from behind your keyboard).

Would I rather we have Austin, Le Fondre, Billy Sharp or some of the other strikers we have been linked with in the last 12 months? The answer is yes, but they will cost at least a million, and we don't have that type of money as far as I am aware in the playing budget. As for not being 'good enough for us', that comes across as arrogant. We're a provincial club who are lucky to be in existence, who can't even sell out a 9,000 seater (admittedly crap) stadium. If you look at the strikers we have had in the last 10 years we have been lucky to have the likes of BZ, Leon (before his head got too big), Muzza and Fozzie in that time, but we've also had a lot of dross too. Ash is far from the worst, and also a fair way off the best we have had, but he is in our squad at present so let's support him, not crucify him.

He can score one of his arse completely misreading the flight of the ball for all I care................so long as we win.

Top post that.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
You are an ex Sussex County League full back. I don't know what coaching qualifications you have, but feel free to state those and also why your opinions are more valid/relevant than those of Gus.

HAHA trying to get on your high horse acting like you know what you're talking about and you have THAT to your name. f*** me, you are clueless.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
No, you need to have read through it for this to make sense. Most peoples only argument was that hes scored 10 goals and stats dont lie. That above proves you can use stats to say anything. Off course for a true reflection I should use the whole season. But for a true reflection of a player, I think you need to read past his most important stats and look at the actual player. As I have said before, if/when we are in the championship and Barnes chances and goals dry up, all things being equal he'll probably be on three or four goals at that standard instead of ten now, and everyone who rates him now because he has 10, will be hammering him becuase he may only have four, but he'll still be the same player. If you see what I'm trying to say.

It the same as we win three on the trot, we are the greatest and the best management ever. If we lose a few everyones a **** and should be sacked. Thats' what a lot of posters on here are like. Very short term views and opinions.

So you don't think he'll be a great player at a higher level? Fine, but he's doing just great as this level and one of the reasons we're where we are is him. And before you say it again, the argument that anyone half decent would do what he's done holds no water whatsoever. This always comes up when Crouch scores for England against weaker opposition or (in the past) Ian Bell scored against the lower ranked teams. The one glaring question being, of course, if it's so easy why hasn't someone else done it? Why don't others else fill their boots as extensively as Bell does when batting against Bangladesh, why doesn't Rooney score more against the likes of Macedonia? Eh? Well, he does get the opportunity more than others as he's being played. True. Which either means that he has something about him or Gus is an idiot. Which one are you going for?

Listen, originally I didn't want to grace your absurd argument with a reasoned answer, but I have been sucked in. I urge you at the very least to have some reason and to stick to saying what many others will agree with you on - he needs to toughen up, his finishing needs to be better etc. These are entirely reasonable suggestions, but the argument that he's not good enough for us at this level is laughable. Any of the fans of our rivals reading this thread must be pissing themselves - this link is probably being passed about as we speak.

BTW - it does remind me of the day I gave up listening to phone ins. It was a good few years ago when Michael Owen was still playing for Liverpool. He'd been through some poor form and had finally hit the back of the net with a hattrick away from home. Liverpool won the game 0-3 and the first caller on 606 rung up to say that he thought Owen had been woeful. "He scored a hattrick didn't he?" replied the host. "Yeah, but apart from that he did NOTHING" came the response. As I say, laughable and it's the reason why I don't listen to phone ins any more.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Are you a bit simple Sam. Have you not noticed you are the only one who keeps making stupid one line comments, without actually saying anything about the thread. If only there was a part of NSC where pricks like you weren't allowed. Whatever you think, try and debate and not act like a simpleton.

I find it funny that you call someone else a prick yet you start a thread slagging off our second top scorer who also happens to be only 21 (as in only just started his career). We are top of the league for god's sake yet after one defeat people feel the need to start threads slagging off individual players.

Ashley Barnes didn't have a great game yesterday and is far from the finished article but to slag him off in the way you have and write off his career with us is ridiculous. Considering it is his first full season playing regular first team football, he has done pretty well and is heading for 15 to 20 goals. Yes, if we had Darren Bent up front he would probably have scored quite a few more but that is why Barnes cost us about £100K and Bent cost an initial £18m. I sometimes think people forget we are in League One. If he was the finished article he would be in the Premier League. As it is, he is doing pretty well in League One and I think most Brighton fans would agree with that (as crucially does Gus who knows more than about these players than any of us).

Shocking idea, why not get behind our team rather than spending your time on an Internet forum slagging them off (I know if sounds crazy).

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Top post that.

Hopefully Burns will answer that one, as he didn't reply to my point regarding Barnes. If Barnes is so poor then within the same restrictions that led to his acquisition, can the OP give me a player who would be better than him? If the OP cannot, surely the current player is the best in his position - value-for-money wise.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
"NSC in player has a bad game so is shit" shocker.

Cue him netting three next week and suddenly Mr. Burns slumps away in silence. Then Murray has an off-game and his haters come crawling out from under their respective rocks.

You think you're the only person in the know, that everyone else is a clueless fanboy backing Gus at his every turn. But its not true, what we have, and you don't, is perspective. We see his contribution compared to the fee involved in his acquisition, his age, and our relative position in the league. You see someone who bails on a couple of tackles and decide he's a conference player. EVERYTHING you have said, Mr.Burns, is absurd, and predominantly an attention-seeking fishing trip for the express intention of causing this 8-page binfest. Do us all a favour and just piss off to grumble in silence, meanwhile the rest of us will get behind our team, and players, who are currently (if you haven't noticed) sitting pretty atop the league. They must be doing something right.

Oh and I have not played in the Premiership, nor League 1, nor even County League. But in the team I do play in, our striker this season has 7 in 10 games, and he's small, slight, and gets shouldered off the ball easily. He loses out in a lot of challenges with bigger central defenders. But we don't care, because he keeps putting the ball in the back of the net. And once again, since you don't seem to have grasped this concept, STRIKERS ARE JUDGED ON THE GOALS THEY SCORE. All the time Barnes keeps scoring at 1 in 3 or better, I literally could not give too shits what your nonsense opinion is. No-one's claiming he's the Messiah. But he's doing the job he's paid to do, so let him be.

Everyone else - do us all a favour. Let this nonsense thread disappear from the first page. Hopefully 'fans' like Mr Burns will do the decent thing and disappear too.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
OK. Gus Poyet is an ex International football player, who has also played with distinction in the Premiership and in Spain. He has a UEFA Pro coaching badge. He sees the players in training every day and chooses the team on the back of that. He makes some good choices and some bad ones. I thought he made an error getting rid of Nicky Forster, but on the basis of our progression in the last twelve months I now think he is 100% correct.

Well I as 100% behind him getting rid of Forster, despite being in the minority on here. I'm not an ex county league ful back, and im not saying I know more than Gus, all I am sayinf in a round a bout sort of why is I think Barnes is pony, and not good enough for us.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Hopefully Burns will answer that one, as he didn't reply to my point regarding Barnes. If Barnes is so poor then within the same restrictions that led to his acquisition, can the OP give me a player who would be better than him? If the OP cannot, surely the current player is the best in his position - value-for-money wise.
Wood. Murray. Theres two. Sandaza if given a run may be. Thats three.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

so im the prick am i? your the "fan" whos slagging one of your teams players off. you clearly no f*** all about football, thinking players are shit because "there not strong" or missed chances. whenever ive seen barnes play hes held the ball up well and had great movment, and yer he has missed a few chances but if anyone can improve a player its gus. are you one of these fans who goes to a game and if a players misplaces a pass you get straight on there backs? and as for the one liners that is mostly me calling you a ****, twat ect, im sorry but thats what id do if i see you face to face.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Well I as 100% behind him getting rid of Forrester, despite being in the minority on here. I'm not an ex county league ful back, and im not saying I know more than Gus, all I am sayinf in a round a bout sort of why is I think Barnes is pony, and not good enough for us.

http://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Philippa_Forrester/90130/philippa_forrester_photo_24.jpg

Yeah, I agree 100% too, as a Gully's girl she didnt really cut it...

Edit: Oh ar** - how do you post a link to an image that actually shows the image?!

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just to clarify, who do you think is better placed to start or come on as a sub in the next game? I'd rather have Barnes, Wood and Murray as the main three strikers than any other combination
Wood and Murray to start, Barnes/Sandaza off the bench for 10-15 minutes.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I find it funny that you call someone else a prick yet you start a thread slagging off our second top scorer who also happens to be only 21 (as in only just started his career). We are top of the league for god's sake yet after one defeat people feel the need to start threads slagging off individual players.

Ashley Barnes didn't have a great game yesterday and is far from the finished article but to slag him off in the way you have and write off his career with us is ridiculous. Considering it is his first full season playing regular first team football, he has done pretty well and is heading for 15 to 20 goals. Yes, if we had Darren Bent up front he would probably have scored quite a few more but that is why Barnes cost us about £100K and Bent cost an initial £18m. I sometimes think people forget we are in League One. If he was the finished article he would be in the Premier League. As it is, he is doing pretty well in League One and I think most Brighton fans would agree with that (as crucially does Gus who knows more than about these players than any of us).

Shocking idea, why not get behind our team rather than spending your time on an Internet forum slagging them off (I know if sounds crazy).

this,
i should say something like this but i lose my rag and just abuse instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here