Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - I should never have doubted him

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I have had my doubts about whether or not Barnes based should start for us based on his performances last season, or even whether he deserved a place on the bench. For me, although he scored goals, he lacked the pace, vision, mobility and speed of thought to really cut it in the Championship. Based on today's performance, albeit only a friendly, I've now radically altered my view of him. Barnes was, I thought, superb today; and to me he looked much more of an all round player than last year. What particularly impressed me was the speed with which he passed the ball when he received it and his ability to pick out a team mate with a pin point pass. I don't recall such speed of thought and vision last season. And the way he took his goal was terrific. So a big, big well done to Ashley Barnes on a fine performance and here's to many more this season.

One chastened (and embarrassed) long term supporter.

Last edited:

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I echo your comments exactly. I too commented on his lack of vision and ability on the ball last year, but no sign of that today. He was excellent, took his goal really well and set up both the others.
If todays performance is an example of what we can expect from him this season, then fantastic. He was much improved and well worthy of a starting place. Well done Ashley !!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was actully good the poor mans Sideshow Bob incident after which Barnes got substituted as it gave us the chance to show our appreciation.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Good post.

He really should be one the most popular players at the club. Hope more of the doubters accept that he is a class player and really celebrate having him at our club.

Mr Bums

Jan 31, 2012
Fools, lucky pass with outside of right foot for first assist, lucky follow up and rifle into far corner for second goal, and lucky headbutt into Sideshow Bob for the third. Luck runs out, and I guarantee he won't even win a corner, let alone score a goal, for the rest of the season.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Barnes reminds me of Dirk Kuyt. He is a grafter who can score goals. I can see him being our top scorer this season

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Fools, lucky pass with outside of right foot for first assist, lucky follow up and rifle into far corner for second goal, and lucky headbutt into Sideshow Bob for the third. Luck runs out, and I guarantee he won't even win a corner, let alone score a goal, for the rest of the season.

Pathetic

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good post.

He really should be one the most popular players at the club. Hope more of the doubters accept that he is a class player and really celebrate having him at our club.

Totally this.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Good post.

Top post-this so much-

Barnes is merely an unfortunate victim of timing and circumstance at our clubs resurrection,in any other time he really would have been the darling of the fans..

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I give it a month TOPS before most board members are calling him SHIT and will be slating GUS for selling CMS........

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
:shootself

:shootself

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In my view Ashley Barnes has been nothing but excellent for our club since he arrived. Unfortunately, because he didn't come for a large fee or with a big reputation and because he seems a quiet type who's often had to put the team's needs before his own personal glory, he's massively under appreciated. A key man in our side for sure.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
After this thread please no more Ashley Barnes threads doubting his ability he is one of our boys he's a good lad still young still learning ok he's struggled in the odd game last year but then so did most players from time to time let's get behind him this year and the rest of our lads ( well maybe not Harley ) no only joking even Harley . Ashley Barnes this season I predict will score around 20 goals and it wouldn't surprise me if he became player of the year everyone loves the underdog

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here