Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ashley barnes - hands off says mariner

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Yep, one of the richest and until v recently (dunno if still the case) an Aussie resident and taxpayer.

Plus those UK lists are notoriously unreliable. How do you think they're compiled? Do people with over £10 million have to sign on a register? Does the taxman happily give out details to newspapers? You'd be surprised how many people slip under that register.

But in all seriousness, do you think a man who is paying - Yes, he is actually paying with his own money - £90m for a new stadium is worth less than £30m?

I've got no axe to grind with you, so I'm not trying to belittle you or anything. Just saying that our chairman is indeed one of the wealthiest men in Britain - and one of the best at hiding it too.

Sorry that is just what I've seen, I dont really know how rich or not so he is. After doing some research across the internet he wasn't even classified as being in the top 5 of richest owners within League one.

Sorry that is just what I've seen, I dont really know how rich or not so he is. After doing some research across the internet he wasn't even classified as being in the top 5 of richest owners within League one.

No worries, matey. I guess Tony Bloom is happy with that being the public message too. Let's face it, you don't get to be one of the world's best poker players by showing your hand to all and sundry. :thumbsup:

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
No worries, matey. I guess Tony Bloom is happy with that being the public message too. Let's face it, you don't get to be one of the world's best poker players by showing your hand to all and sundry. :thumbsup:

Very good point. I'm not on here to cause hassle, which I guess is the way that I have portrayed myself.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Playing out are season in the Championship at this current time.
So your plans to reach the Premier League don't extend beyond the current season? In that case I'm afraid they might have failed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. He has put up £90m of his own money to pay for our stadium interest free with no return until it is converted to shares in 2025. How many other chairmen in Div 1 could do that. Do you think that it is his last million pounds or in fact anywhere near it, of course it isnt.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
So your plans to reach the Premier League don't extend beyond the current season? In that case I'm afraid they might have failed.

Unfortunately they have failed you are correct. Although the board insist that they still want to achieve premiership football in 5 years (next joke :laugh:), if we don't gain promotion within 2 seasons then they really have failed.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Unfortunately they have failed you are correct. Although the board insist that they still want to achieve premiership football in 5 years (next joke :laugh:), if we don't gain promotion within 2 seasons then they really have failed.

Out of interest, what sort of financial footing are Argyle on at the moment? What sort of budget will they have for next season?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Plus those UK lists are notoriously unreliable. How do you think they're compiled? Do people with over £10 million have to sign on a register? Does the taxman happily give out details to newspapers? You'd be surprised how many people slip under that register.

Noel Gallagher stated that you had to agree to be on those lists for them to publish your wealth details, as he always declines getting put on the list.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Out of interest, what sort of financial footing are Argyle on at the moment? What sort of budget will they have for next season?

That much I do not know, apparently we will have a sufficient budget to compete against the top teams, although I'm not so convinced. I believe that with the current playing squad, the players that are due to leave are pretty evident. We need to bring a new keeper, potentially a new right back, a centre mid, and a striker. With the players that are being sold we should make a good amount of money from them, and this should fund the new signings, the majority of them probably being loans. Mariner apparently has 40+ targets that he is targeting, we have a good set of youngsters as well. If they can strengthen the squad accordingly then we can give L1 a real good bash, I personally cant see Barnes leaving, if we keep Bradley Wright-Phillips then you have a larger chance of signing Barnes.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
That much I do not know, apparently we will have a sufficient budget to compete against the top teams, although I'm not so convinced. I believe that with the current playing squad, the players that are due to leave are pretty evident. We need to bring a new keeper, potentially a new right back, a centre mid, and a striker. With the players that are being sold we should make a good amount of money from them, and this should fund the new signings, the majority of them probably being loans. Mariner apparently has 40+ targets that he is targeting, we have a good set of youngsters as well. If they can strengthen the squad accordingly then we can give L1 a real good bash, I personally cant see Barnes leaving, if we keep Bradley Wright-Phillips then you have a larger chance of signing Barnes.

Interesting! Whenever I have read 'sufficient budget' with regards to the Albion or any other club for that matter it has almost always translated into 'shoestring'! From what you are saying it sounds to me like Argyle are a selling club and I personally feel Barnes coming to the Albion is nothing more than a formality, I also think he will be one of our less high profile signings and not particularly key. Just my thoughts but thats what its all about, the banter - i love it, can't wait for next season already, I'm normally sick of the Albion by this stage of the season but I truly believe SuperGus to be 'the man' and can't wait for the close season transfer rumour mill to get going in earnest.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Interesting! Whenever I have read 'sufficient budget' with regards to the Albion or any other club for that matter it has almost always translated into 'shoestring'! From what you are saying it sounds to me like Argyle are a selling club and I personally feel Barnes coming to the Albion is nothing more than a formality, I also think he will be one of our less high profile signings and not particularly key. Just my thoughts but thats what its all about, the banter - i love it, can't wait for next season already, I'm normally sick of the Albion by this stage of the season but I truly believe SuperGus to be 'the man' and can't wait for the close season transfer rumour mill to get going in earnest.

Thats exactly what it is I feel. But then again we have never been a club to splash the cash on players, even if it was available. I wouldn't expect us to spend a lot of money on transfer fees to be honest, the money raised through transfers out of the club are to compensate the wages and the constant decrease in gate receipts. To be honest, I cant wait until next season and most Argyle fans are just about fed up, our owners are non existent, the chairman is hardly ever at games because he 'lives to far way'. It's been a joke of a season for us, and we have some players that are going to shine in L1. Players like Yala Bolasie, Craig Noone, Reda Johnson, Onismor Bhasera (who really should not be playing in such a low league), Carl Fletcher. Next season will be extremely interesting we will either do really well or really bad. Hopefully its not the latter.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Well I stated that you are currently pushing to get out of League one, whereas we aren't are we?
that is the funniest thing i have heard in weeks....when you wake up janner boy you will see much to my delight that you have been relegated and are striving to get out of league 1 next season.although i have yet to find an argyle fan who will have a bet with me as to who finishes higher next season

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I recall cheltenham having a super rich chairman and look what happened to them,also swindon have a very wealthy chairman???

Fact is we have a chairman who is a massive fan as are the whole family,so we actually are one of the few clubs where the money has been seen.How often do you see clubs with wealthy chairmans in these lower leagues spending proper money?

Yes plymouth you have a wealthy chairman but you won't see a pittance of that money FACT.:D

Our position is far superior:thumbsup:

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
that is the funniest thing i have heard in weeks....when you wake up janner boy you will see much to my delight that you have been relegated and are striving to get out of league 1 next season.although i have yet to find an argyle fan who will have a bet with me as to who finishes higher next season

Well done you are a very clever man aren't you :clap:
But as it stands at this moment in time we are not in League One, Norwich are in League one not the Championship, Portsmouth are still a Premier League team. As of the start of the season like all teams you push for promotion to the next League, that is what we have done this season trying to push out of the Championship to the Premiership (although it hasn't happened) and you have been trying to push out of League one to the championship (although it hasn't happened). As of when we are listed as being in the League one table then we will both be in the same boat

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Well done you are a very clever man aren't you :clap:
But as it stands at this moment in time we are not in League One, Norwich are in League one not the Championship, Portsmouth are still a Premier League team. As of the start of the season like all teams you push for promotion to the next League, that is what we have done this season trying to push out of the Championship to the Premiership (although it hasn't happened) and you have been trying to push out of League one to the championship (although it hasn't happened). As of when we are listed as being in the League one table then we will both be in the same boat
talk about clutching at straws

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
another 0? So, 2,000,000,000 pounds? Two BILLION pounds?! That's incredible if true. Are you just guessing or is that based on fact/some inside knowledge?

Considering he's probably pumped around 100m into this club overall, it's not that shocking at all really is it?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Considering he's probably pumped around 100m into this club overall, it's not that shocking at all really is it?

Dunno, maybe I'm easily shocked. 2billion just seems like a huge amount of money for someone to have amassed and kept quite. Particularly as he's not that old. He's obviously very, very wealthy but 2bn seems ridiculously wealthy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thats exactly what it is I feel. But then again we have never been a club to splash the cash on players, even if it was available. I wouldn't expect us to spend a lot of money on transfer fees to be honest, the money raised through transfers out of the club are to compensate the wages and the constant decrease in gate receipts. To be honest, I cant wait until next season and most Argyle fans are just about fed up, our owners are non existent, the chairman is hardly ever at games because he 'lives to far way'. It's been a joke of a season for us, and we have some players that are going to shine in L1. Players like Yala Bolasie, Craig Noone, Reda Johnson, Onismor Bhasera (who really should not be playing in such a low league), Carl Fletcher. Next season will be extremely interesting we will either do really well or really bad. Hopefully its not the latter.

Archer, anyone?

I seem to remember he allegedly had plans for a ridiculously oversized stadium (I mean come on, 46,000? I know Plymouth's a big town but...); as we fell trhough the leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here