Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ashley barnes - hands off says mariner

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No offence but your not the most prestigious club in the world, I know that neither are Argyle but at least if/when we get promoted we have a good chance of staying up. Lets just put into perspective who you would join regardless of who you support, a team that has ambition and want to try and get into the premier league, or a team that is a mid table League one side. If either of us get promoted he will be pushed straight out of the side, he is a L1 player and nothing more. And no I don't think it was a mistake loaning him to you, you have provided him with first team experience that he has needed to progress, give us a good offer and you can have him. He will be useless if promotion is achieved.

:bla:

I think is Barnes is intelligent he will realise that we are a club on the way up (past you) and that by coming to us he will be working with one of the best coaches in the country, in a brand new world class stadium shortly in the championship, no brainer.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Also no offence but what makes you think your team has more ambition (or a better chance, for that matter) of getting to the PL than us?

True it was a plain matter of fact that we were restricted to an 'undersized shell' until very recently but things are changing fast down on the South-East coast.

Re: Barnes.....no idea in terms of later (higher league) potential but would be a decent addition to our SQUAD for next season.

P.S Is that cracking fish and chip restaurant (with the plump-bellied foreign-looking proprietor) still there in the Barbican area? Went there when staying in the weekend of our 2-2 draw with you a few years ago.

Sorry, I got a little bit snappy because of some of the idiotic posters on this site that think you have a chance of signing Barnes with such ease. He is a Plymouth player and if he isn't come August I would be surprised. If you get promotion next season I would be shocked to be honest, we have set out plans to try and gain premiership football (although they are poor to say the least) and you are trying to push on to get out of L1. How some of your fans believe that an investment of £10million+ is going to happen is ridiculous, even GP has said that it is false. You dont have a great amount of money, and if you want Barnes your going to have to offer him an increase in his contract, which to be honest you cannot afford.

And I don't know about the chip shop, you can find out next season. :wink:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, I got a little bit snappy because of some of the idiotic posters on this site that think you have a chance of signing Barnes with such ease. He is a Plymouth player and if he isn't come August I would be surprised. If you get promotion next season I would be shocked to be honest, we have set out plans to try and gain premiership football (although they are poor to say the least) and you are trying to push on to get out of L1. How some of your fans believe that an investment of £10million+ is going to happen is ridiculous, even GP has said that it is false. You dont have a great amount of money, and if you want Barnes your going to have to offer him an increase in his contract, which to be honest you cannot afford.

How do you know we do not have money.

I would say the denials today are more to do with trying to warn agents off and stop clubs putting an extra 10% on the asking fees, than us not having any money.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Just because I'm not a Brighton fan doesn't mean that I don't know what is going on with your club. I obviously do not know anywhere near as much as you do, but I do know that you are not a club that are able to throw there money about. If you are that financially well off, why are you targeting someone like Ashley Barnes?

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea

Fair play, but our chairman Bloom is a shrewd card shark (literally) and he and GP keep their cards close to thier chests.

Bloom is worth £200m and is a proper Albion fan (family history) so he can spend if he has to....to be honest he'll want value for money so may not spend crazy money on transfers yet but there is a very determined agenda to rise the ranks after a very long enforced exile in lower league obscurity.

P.S Don't worry about snapping, Mr Snappy :wink: (it's easy to get caught on the proverbial fishing lines around here).

:smile:

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just because I'm not a Brighton fan doesn't mean that I don't know what is going on with your club. I obviously do not know anywhere near as much as you do, but I do know that you are not a club that are able to throw there money about. If you are that financially well off, why are you targeting someone like Ashley Barnes?

Because he scores goals in league one? :shrug: not that difficult..:rolleyes:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
No offence but your not the most prestigious club in the world, I know that neither are Argyle but at least if/when we get promoted we have a good chance of staying up. Lets just put into perspective who you would join regardless of who you support, a team that has ambition and want to try and get into the premier league, or a team that is a mid table League one side. If either of us get promoted he will be pushed straight out of the side, he is a L1 player and nothing more. And no I don't think it was a mistake loaning him to you, you have provided him with first team experience that he has needed to progress, give us a good offer and you can have him. He will be useless if promotion is achieved.

Every club wants to get to the prem, I rate your chance along side the likes of Yeovil and Wycombe. You are in a shit area with a shit ground and a team which will do f*** all next year.

Good luck. You dont have as much money as you think you do.

yeah, ok, right. good one.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Every club wants to get to the prem, I rate your chance along side the likes of Yeovil and Wycombe. You are in a shit area with a shit ground and a team which will do f*** all next year.

Of course they do, and we have more chance than you do. Yeah real shit ground ......

0,,10794~3777085,00.gif

He is a beauty isn't he!!!

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Of course they do, and we have more chance than you do. Yeah real shit ground ......

0,,10794~3777085,00.gif

He is a beauty isn't he!!!

Yeah, one more season in that until we move.

a1_Brighton___Hove_Albion_Stadium.jpg

0,,10364~3345311,00.jpg

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Yeah that is pretty nice I must agree. Couple of years and we will be playing in a 46,000 capacity stadium.

0,,10364~7902249,00.jpg

Not bad is it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who will pay for it as your club and board are all skint, hence you have got to reduce your wage bill for next season and thus have no chance whatsoever of being in the top 6 places.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Better get building fairly soonish if you want that built in 2 years.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
You are making a brand new stadium when you have had the 2rd lowest attendances in the championship this season. you ground is half empty FACT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here