Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes detractors

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I love Ash and have put up with loads of flak from my fellow withdean colleagues about him because he has, its true, missed some chances this season, however, what i get annoyed about with the criticism is the lack of perspective with him and the expectation.

Barnes was never signed as the answer to our striker prayers or the next Zamora or Knight, he was a bit part player from a relegated plymouth side who nevertheless showed some great potential when on loan with eastbourne boro, i saw him play and thought he could do us a job, then we get him on loan and he looked like he could do us a job and be part of the squad, we didnt sign a top drawer striker so Barnes has played more than he might have done had we done so, as I saw him more as a squad player and supersub as I`m sure the club initially did, and Ash himself stated at the beginning of the season he was targeted for 10 goals by Gus, so thats what we are gonna get and more.

His shooting needs improving and has in a couple of games at home recently tended to lose the ball cheaply at times but I`m sure that the club will work on that with him, but generally he is such a good player on the ball, the hold up and lay-offs, his positioning, the passing, determination etc warrants his selection for me and I am so pleased he scored Saturday cos he so deserves it, keep it up Ash.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I love Ash and have put up with loads of flak from my fellow withdean colleagues about him because he has, its true, missed some chances this season, however, what i get annoyed about with the criticism is the lack of perspective with him and the expectation.

Barnes was never signed as the answer to our striker prayers or the next Zamora or Knight, he was a bit part player from a relegated plymouth side who nevertheless showed some great potential when on loan with eastbourne boro, i saw him play and thought he could do us a job, then we get him on loan and he looked like he could do us a job and be part of the squad, we didnt sign a top drawer striker so Barnes has played more than he might have done had we done so, as I saw him more as a squad player and supersub as I`m sure the club initially did, and Ash himself stated at the beginning of the season he was targeted for 10 goals by Gus, so thats what we are gonna get and more.

His shooting needs improving and has in a couple of games at home recently tended to lose the ball cheaply at times but I`m sure that the club will work on that with him, but generally he is such a good player on the ball, the hold up and lay-offs, his positioning, the passing, determination etc warrants his selection for me and I am so pleased he scored Saturday cos he so deserves it, keep it up Ash.

Wise words

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If anyone needs reminding of how good Barnes can be just go back to the DVD from the end of last season and look at some of the goals he scores. Also he puts his work in for the team. Even though he starts up front, several times this season he has been prepared to drop back to midfield and scrap for the ball. His link-up play with Murray is also improving every game. I think we have ourselves a gem.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Still not convinced, but a few more goalscoring returns like Saturday and I will be.

Me too.

I said at the beginning of the season we wouldn't get promoted with a forward line of Barnes and Murray.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

(Still like us to get in another striker in January, as IMO it could make all the difference )

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We are signing MICHAEL OWEN on loan in January, according to some bloke on 606 :jester:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Now, someone has to start acting the bigger boy here or this will go on all season :wrong:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There's nothing to debate, this is so boring.

Ashley Barnes is a young, improving player with the potential to become quite good.

He is NOT brilliant.
He is NOT rubbish.

I really think that's all there is to it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Me too.

I said at the beginning of the season we wouldn't get promoted with a forward line of Barnes and Murray.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

(Still like us to get in another striker in January, as IMO it could make all the difference )

Pretty much where I am.

I don't think Barnes is terrible. Certainly decent back-up. But I don't think he is top of the table centre forward class.

I guess time will tell. I hope I am proved wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. But I don't think he is top of the table centre forward class.

So far you ARE being proved very wrong, I expect it to continue

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Barnes is going to be a proper proper decent player in a couple fo years, hes pretty tidy now in my opinion.

I rate him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He is twenty one.

I will say that AGAIN. TWENTY ONE.

And he IS scoring goals. He already has some under his belt and had the bollocks to take a penalty as well.

Barnes :clap2:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Pretty much where I am.

I don't think Barnes is terrible. Certainly decent back-up. But I don't think he is top of the table centre forward class.

Surely the fact that he has played pretty much every game in a side eight points clear at the top of the table proves you wrong, and that he is a top-of-the-table class centre forward. We're certainly not top in spite of him, he has contributed as much as most of the players, in terms of goals and general play.

I agree he's not the best striker in the league, but I'm getting tired of this "he's not top of the table material" rubbish. What does that even mean when he's in a team at the top of the table?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Just turned 21 years old. 17 Albion starts and 9 goals. If he was a clinical, natural finisher he wouldn't be playing at this level. Reminds me of a young Paul Dickov, a real pest.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ROUGHLY he is a one goal in three games.

Thats ROUGHLY 15/16 goals a season.

PLENTY considering others are walloping them in as well...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here