Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes detractors

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Excessive criticism? What a load of wank, when a player fluffs as many chances as barnes did he DESERVES to be criticised, if he can build on todays much improved performance and start banging away some more of the chances he creates then i'll be delighted.

Please go away you are getting boring. :bla:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I haven't necessarily changed my opinion on him, which is that he's not the sort of player that will top the scoring charts.

However, he does work his socks off and play an important role in the team as a whole. He might not be the sort of player that will score 1 in 5 clear chances, but I'll take that if he is being given those chances and doing all the other stuff for the team

While I would love to sign a 30 goal striker, at the moment it's not needed and he would have to be someone who works as hard

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Should have/could have scored at least 4 today and how many times have we said that already this season? And how many others have created as many opportunities for themselves? Don't try = don't score. Barnes never stops trying........what's not to love about the lad?

The lad never stops running/tackling/covering/supporting. He gets himself in good positions. And he proved today with the penalty that he can score when he has to think as well as when it's instinctive.

Just needs to keep learning and keep his self-belief up. He is a real talent and a great discovery.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i like the fact that he was shit a week ago, but now hes good, atleast i stuck by him for one of these days to come.

At no stage has he been shit, he looked a bit low on confidence at Charlton but other than that he's played well everytime I've seen him

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Ashley Barnes is GOLD - any detractors need their heads examined.
To score you need to be there in the first place and that is his gift.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wayne Rooney Profile, Statistics, News, Game Log - Manchester United, English Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

Wayne Rooney's goals and shots:

2010/2011
goals 2
shots 52

2009/2010
goals 40
shots 257

2008/2009
goals 24
shots 197

2007/2008
goals 18
shots 147

2006/2007
goals 24
shots 198

2005/2006
goals 21
shots 184

2004/2005
goals 19
shots 126

2003/2004
goals 10
shots 94

2002/2003
goals 8
shots 63

Yet some people expect Barnes to convert every shot.

Ashley 5 goals 28 shots. One goal per 5.6 shots.

If the football league shot figures are to be believed, he is more prolific this season than Wayne Rooney has ever been goal/shot ratio.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Ashley Barnes is class. He terrorises defences & has had the misfortune to have made goalkeepers look good. I would take him over Nicky Forster whom he replaced for this team because he plays the system that Gus wants & how anyone can criticise a 21 year old (Happy Birthday by the way) who works as hard for the team as he does needs their f***ing head examined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmCDAlkD2I

Wouldn't have this lad in my team, look at this miss. A player shouldn't be slagged off for missing a chance. The point is he's getting the right places to give himself a chance to score. Would you rather he was there with the opportunity to score, and putting away 1 in 3 or 1 in 4, or drifting about hopelessly never having a shot a la Craig Davies?

AaaaattDickinsonchooooo!

Should have/could have scored at least 4 today and how many times have we said that already this season? And how many others have created as many opportunities for themselves? Don't try = don't score. Barnes never stops trying........what's not to love about the lad?

The lad never stops running/tackling/covering/supporting. He gets himself in good positions. And he proved today with the penalty that he can score when he has to think as well as when it's instinctive.

Just needs to keep learning and keep his self-belief up. He is a real talent and a great discovery.

Yep - and in a few months people will be getting all hot and bothered that we might lose him to the bigger clubs. Watch at the end of the season, that some promoted ex-Championship side don't swoop.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This idea that sport can be broken down into statistics started and should end in American sport. Unless anyone can provide the stats to back up my contention :blush:, which is that Barnes for a centre forward rarely gives the ball away.

His ball retention has remained excellent regardless of whether or not he has been scoring. Combined with Murray's workrate and close control, these two provide a superb platform for the defence and midfield to retain possession and stop the opposition from building pressure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This idea that sport can be broken down into statistics started and should end in American sport.

Disagree. It adds an extra level of insight into the mechanics of the play. How can it be a bad thing to know, say, percentage possession? And personally I found the stats posted yesterday about the finishing position of teams leading League One over the past decade to be very interesting. not to mention reassuring.

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
Ashley Barnes might not be everyones cup of tea but the way he picked up the ball after the second penalty was awarded and said "im taking this" showed the lads got bottle , good on him .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
His hold up play and ball retension was the best yet this season for the lad. I`ve been on his case a bit recently with friends but he was good yesterday and he wanted the ball for that penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here