1 Sub, 1 goal

In total:

53 starts, 24 Goals
16 Subs, 7 Goals

69 appearances 31 goals.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Really disappointed by some of the treatment of Ashley Barnes on this message board since Tuesday evening. Lets just hope he isn't one of the players who reads NSC.

I think we need some perspective. What was Ashley Barnes when we signed him? A raw 20 year old with an abysmal goalscoring record for every club he had previously played for (with the exception of Eastbourne Borough in the Blue Square South) and a product of the legendary Paulton Rovers youth system, known for producing such legends as and .

His positional sense was poor and his link play was very poor.

Since then, Gus has moulded him into a good little Championship player, and if you look at his incredibly rapid progress over the last two seasons, why shouldn't we believe that he will become a very very good Championship player, and possibly more? He is 21 for f*** sake - allow him to develop.

Against Leeds, he set up both CMS goals and scored a sublime penalty. 90 minutes on the right wing later..... and he's apparently useless.

Overall, he has played very well this season. He seems to be getting abuse for the simple fact that he isn’t Glenn Murray. Totally unfair on a young lad who has come leaps and bounds since we signed him.

Glenn Murray is 28. Of course he is going to be more accomplished. Where was Murray playing his football at 21 years old?!

Well, Barrow had just signed him from Wilmington Hammerheads.

Don't believe me? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Murray

Give Ashley a break. Good lad and will go on to be a quality player.

Go on Ash :thumbsup:

Welcome to Ashley Barnse Dad.:D
Only kidding have to agree with you mate .

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ok so what exactly is he? A striker? Because he seems to spend most of his time isolated off somewhere on the right doing absolutely nothing, his link up play is occasionally good but most of the times he touches it he gives it straight to an opposition player, he's played f*** all part in any of our goals over the last few games, the only things of any worth he did versus palace was the very occasional track back and tackle.

The position he plays would be much, much better occupied by Sparrow. Yes he takes a good penalty but surely THAT is not worth essentially playing with 10, because that's what we were doing first half versus Palace, he made no more than 10 touches.

Football is about goals, no'one apart from CMS & Barnes has scored in last 5 games, the centre backs are pathetic at corners, they should be 5 each a season not 1 each (Dunks miss was unforgivable at 1-0, would have won it with 25 left, NO'ONE mentions that, or the two that he failed to block & went thru his legs) no'one from centre midfield gets up to get on a cross on open play, Buckley is sorely missed as someone who knows where the onion bag is as the rest of em never get near, how many saves did their keeper make on Tues, not enough

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I cannot of course argue with the fact of Barnes goal per game ratio.

However he is very poor.
He's first touch is poor,
he can't beat a man,
he can't hold the ball up,
he has no vision and his through balls are always blocked with ease,
His goals are penalties and tap ins from close range ( wonder goal at Cardiff excluded)
and I don't get excited or expect anything to happen whilst he is in possession.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
he's played f*** all part in any of our goals over the last few games, the only things of any worth he did versus palace was the very occasional track back and tackle.
He set up both CMS goals against Leeds ya f***ing cretin.

Let's see...
Against Portsmouth he took the initial shot that CMS followed up to score
Against Peterborough he closed down the keeper forcing the poor ball that went to Noone
Against Peterborough he won the freekick that harley scored from
Against Leeds he won the ball from the leeds throw and played it in to CMS
Against Leeds he took the ball from Calderon and took it into the area and slid it in for CMS
Against Palace he stopped a certain goal when he put the ball out for a corner to prevent it going through to an unmarked palace player at the far post as well as making several key challenges and winning a lot of freekicks both in our half to stop attacks, and in their half to give us a chance to push.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's see...
Against Portsmouth he took the initial shot that CMS followed up to score
Against Peterborough he closed down the keeper forcing the poor ball that went to Noone
Against Peterborough he won the freekick that harley scored from
Against Leeds he won the ball from the leeds throw and played it in to CMS
Against Leeds he took the ball from Calderon and took it into the area and slid it in for CMS
Against Palace he stopped a certain goal when he put the ball out for a corner to prevent it going through to an unmarked palace player at the far post as well as making several key challenges and winning a lot of freekicks both in our half to stop attacks, and in their half to give us a chance to push.

But apart from that, what has Barnes ever done for us?

Let's not forget his 30 yard screamer at Cardiff and his neat side-stepped goal at Bristol, which shows his brilliant vision and sense of positioning.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
While I support the general sentiment of this thread, that isn't right

09/10
4 starts, 2 goals
4 subs, 2 goals

10/11
38 starts, 16 goals
11 Sub, 4 goals

11/12
11 Starts, 6 Goals
1 Sub, 1 goal

In total:

53 starts, 24 Goals
16 Subs, 7 Goals

69 appearances 31 goals.

:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What i meant was we need 3 strikers and rotate them like we did with Murray,wood and Barnes last year.they were all rested from time to time and it worked.Barnes was often very good coming off the bench.Saturday would be ideal to give him a rest and start Hoskins.

Murray & Barnes were light years ahead of Wood. He was poor more often than not, and the class around him (Murray or Barnes, Bennett, Dicker, Bridcutt, Noone, LuaLua), made up for him. Icing on the cake, Huddersfield at home .. a 0/10 performance by Wood!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Barnes has been consistent this season. He has improved from last year and has shown he can get goals at this level. I don't see a problem with his movement and position. He has played right fwd, left fwd, centre and drops back into attacking midfield he even played in the right back position last Tuesday. Flexibility to play football in various positions is exactly what Gus and BHA need. I think he is a smart footballer who will keep improving. Integral part of the team for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes has been consistent this season. He has improved from last year and has shown he can get goals at this level. I don't see a problem with his movement and position. He has played right fwd, left fwd, centre and drops back into attacking midfield he even played in the right back position last Tuesday. Flexibility to play football in various positions is exactly what Gus and BHA need. I think he is a smart footballer who will keep improving. Integral part of the team for me.

When the centre midfield & fullback/goalie weaknesses are sorted, CMS & Barnes will flourish again.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
31/69 - that'll do for me as he's "work in progress"!! now lets get off his back and look forward to AB and Hoskins sharing the responsibility of leading the line with CMS

Oct 21, 2007
Portslade
Look at the record....Great stuff...
Look at his defensive play also....On Tuesday he got through a tremendous amount of work in his own 18 yard area!

Our problem is the same as it was before a ball was kicked this season....not enough strength in depth defensively.
Yes we have El Abd and elphick to come in but the full backs worry me.

Give Barnsey a break. Any other team would be more than happy having a young up and coming striker like that in their squad.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ok so what exactly is he? A striker? Because he seems to spend most of his time isolated off somewhere on the right doing absolutely nothing, his link up play is occasionally good but most of the times he touches it he gives it straight to an opposition player, he's played f*** all part in any of our goals over the last few games, the only things of any worth he did versus palace was the very occasional track back and tackle.

The position he plays would be much, much better occupied by Sparrow. Yes he takes a good penalty but surely THAT is not worth essentially playing with 10, because that's what we were doing first half versus Palace, he made no more than 10 touches.
Wow-This lack of football knowledge is awesome-top marks mate.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Really disappointed by some of the treatment of Ashley Barnes on this message board since Tuesday evening. Lets just hope he isn't one of the players who reads NSC.

I think we need some perspective. What was Ashley Barnes when we signed him? A raw 20 year old with an abysmal goalscoring record for every club he had previously played for (with the exception of Eastbourne Borough in the Blue Square South) and a product of the legendary Paulton Rovers youth system, known for producing such legends as and .

His positional sense was poor and his link play was very poor.

Since then, Gus has moulded him into a good little Championship player, and if you look at his incredibly rapid progress over the last two seasons, why shouldn't we believe that he will become a very very good Championship player, and possibly more? He is 21 for f*** sake - allow him to develop.

Against Leeds, he set up both CMS goals and scored a sublime penalty. 90 minutes on the right wing later..... and he's apparently useless.

Overall, he has played very well this season. He seems to be getting abuse for the simple fact that he isn’t Glenn Murray. Totally unfair on a young lad who has come leaps and bounds since we signed him.

Glenn Murray is 28. Of course he is going to be more accomplished. Where was Murray playing his football at 21 years old?!

Well, Barrow had just signed him from Wilmington Hammerheads.

Don't believe me? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Murray

Give Ashley a break. Good lad and will go on to be a quality player.

Go on Ash :thumbsup:
I like what you say

macky

Dec 28, 2004
some of those on here can ruin a good player
What scares me it's their own players they do it toWhether he wil ever set the world on light
Who knows I for one hope he does . I'm proud that he is ours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here