Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes to Ashes

Tellyboy

Jan 3, 2008
Life on Mars had a built in ambiguity - he didn't know if he was back in time or in a coma or "something else". This one starts on a weak foundation - she KNOWS she's imagining it all, so quite happily dresses and acts like a hooker, drinks to excess and generally acts like someone who would get booted out of the department and off the force in five minutes - because since it's her "fantasy" - nuthin matters.
Also - and I'm aware this is sexist but what the hell - Ashes to Ashes is written by, produced by and directed by, women. Could this explain why the male personalities - already charicatures - have now become wafer thin 2-dimensional characters.
There might be a few good one-liners but there's some awful dialogue in there too. The religious nut waiter on the boat - Gene says "Impure". He says "but inside filthy and full of old bones". Would he blurt religious mumbo jumbo to a stranger that had just sidled up to him two seconds before?
Ah - but I forget the writer's convenience of making it a definite fantasy - anything can happen without explanation.
Also - if it's her "near death hallucination" should we any scenes at all where she's not present?
P.S. D.I. Drake actress should not be scripted to act drunk - she can't do it!!!!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I watched it last night after missing last week's, thinking it may make up for the flat pastiche of the opening episode, but, alas, it seems to be even weaker as the series goes on. I am with Tellyboy in the congratulations to Life On Mars and the unanswered queries it had inside to keep us hooked, but this has no such draw. It also has the key difference, for me at least, that LOM had an everyman, a one-of-us, a fella who you liked and wanted to get the life he more controlled back. But this has us supposed to feel supportive and at one with Gene, a character built mostly for humourous ends rather than emotional realism. He has a failed marriage and keeps being rejected by the new snoot he classfully disapproves of, but i don't want to see their partnership develop truly as it's all untrue and his creation's at her unoriginal behest.
And as Tellyboy says, the male cohorts with moustache and nerdery as their sole symbols, are hideously undeveloped, their ugliness unexplored.
I think i am giving the rest of it a miss.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Devasted as the series is over but thankfully another one up and coming next year.

Hats of to the BBC this has been one of the best dramas for some time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surreal and superb

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
hadn't kept up with it all but thought tonights was good.

Will it still work for a 2nd series though?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...will have to take your word, I sacked this after about 20 minutes of the first episode...now into Gavin and Stacey...that is quality!

I think so, i think htere's some strylines in that leyton bloke and the guy who adopted her after her parent's deaths

I reckon that's Guy is her real Dad, the affair had been going on for a few years.................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here