Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hameed’s dismissal is the perfect example of our inability to leave a ball. He lunged forward with low hands and although the ball did take off a little, if it had not it would still have been more than a foot above the stumps. Our batsman really struggle to trust the bounce and leave it based on length. I would suggest this is linked to when we play championship matches in April and may where there is little bounce so the only option is to plonk forward.

The radio comms were saying it was a great delivery etc, but it was one of those deliveries that should get out a tailender rather than an opener. Really poor technique.

I wrote this in the last test. Glad to hear the comms (gower) talking about hameed lunging with hands. He just flings them forward and hopes. He would have missed the one he got out to had he not thrown hands at it, but he could also have left it.

He has made a duck in half his innings since recall.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Desperately poor once again. Malan gone now. As usual, it's Root or bust.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Unfortunately, test cricket needs more English batsmen to occupy the crease for half an hour or more than just Joe Root:facepalm:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe the England team can have a "Covid outbreak" and be forced to fly home before the final 2 tests.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have been dreadful. Even if we have a good day / day and half run at some point in the 5 tests, we'll be undeserving of a draw to go with four inevitable losses.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Both openers gone within 35 mins,when Boycott/Edrich/Tavere would still be in at the Close.

I remember them putting on a crucial stand at Old Trafford on the Friday of the 1981 Test. A slow as a snail and they got booed.

Tavare was still there after Botham's famous knock the following day and eventually out for 78. He just blended into the background.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think I'll pop off to bed now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Crikey, what a bunch of moaners! I can't believe that some of you still care? It was pretty obvious we would collapse as usual.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why don't they just bring the squad home now? Other than Root, they've been embarrassingly poor and are not worthy of calling themselves professional cricketers. I doubt Hameed would even get in a pub team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got woken up at 4.30 when the dog got spooked by something, considered putting it on and then settled him back down and got another two hours lovely sleep. Right decision and not a hard one.

Some problems are not going to get solved on this tour, We have literally no decent red ball opener and no one in sight of filling that spot, That means that Malan and Root are exposed to movement and the new ball and fresh bowlers far earlier than they should be and it all goes to pot again. I don't think we'll score more than 300 again in a very, very long time.

But we could and should be bowling fuller, we should be concentrating far harder on not getting out stupidly and we need some luck.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a disappointment. Turned on to see Aussies were 65-1 at close. Thought it must have rained until I saw later England were already out

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It was spectacularly ****. We genuinely can't bat and the players out there look absolutely bereft. Really, really bad cricket from England this whole tour. Can't see how we can possibly avoid a whitewash.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What a disappointment. Turned on to see Aussies were 65-1 at close. Thought it must have rained until I saw later England were already out

Did much the same. Opened up a webpage and saw Aus were 48-0 and thought, oh, must have rained a lot as they haven’t got much play in… and… then I scrolled down.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It was spectacularly ****. We genuinely can't bat and the players out there look absolutely bereft. Really, really bad cricket from England this whole tour. Can't see how we can possibly avoid a whitewash.

Suspect even the Australian team and supporters are starting to feel underwhelmed and a bit short-changed. This is meant to be one of the great sporting rivalries and occasions, full of passion and twists and moments, and it’s turned into a barely competitive procession.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The issue for me is, and always has been, a difference in mentality between the two teams. The team that won the ashes
for England have always contained players willing to stand up and fight toe-to-toe against Aus. come what may.

The current team contains soft, lifts here there and everywhere since they were 6 years old, molly-coddled, never had to fight
losers who throw in the towel without even trying.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The issue for me is, and always has been, a difference in mentality between the two teams. The team that won the ashes
for England have always contained players willing to stand up and fight toe-to-toe against Aus. come what may.

The current team contains soft, lifts here there and everywhere since they were 6 years old, molly-coddled, never had to fight
losers who throw in the towel without even trying.

I'm not normally one who goes for the pampered sportsman narrative when a team/individual underperforms, but I suspect there may be some truth on this occasion.

Mentality is really poor right now - but then so is technical ability. We are STILL consistently bowling too short. Consistently STILL dropping stupid wickets from key, experienced players (Buttler, Stokes) - and then there are a few who simply aren't good enough at building a test innings (Hamed, Crawley, Burns).

In short, we are a poor test side being put to the sword by one of the best. It's like the Albion playing Man City every week. England need every tiny scrap of luck AND Australia to play poorly in order to win.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not normally one who goes for the pampered sportsman narrative when a team/individual underperforms, but I suspect there may be some truth on this occasion.

Mentality is really poor right now - but then so is technical ability. We are STILL consistently bowling too short. Consistently STILL dropping stupid wickets from key, experienced players (Buttler, Stokes) - and then there are a few who simply aren't good enough at building a test innings (Hamed, Crawley, Burns).

In short, we are a poor test side being put to the sword by one of the best. It's like the Albion playing Man City every week. England need every tiny scrap of luck AND Australia to play poorly in order to win.

Add the fielding to that…the stats on dropped catches between the two teams are already staggering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here