Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
See you all next year ( about 6th Jan ) for the same analysis of the same results :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Root goes as captain, who might replace him who can be sure of a place?

Nobody else is good enough.

I keep seeing this as a reason to keep Root but, IMO, this is the wrong way of looking at it: the question should be "Why isn't there anyone to replace him?".

Look at Australia, Cummins wasn't available, so Smith stepped in but we can see that Head is being groomed to be a future captain too (he was VC for the second test). He's already captain of SA and, now, of Sussex.

The ECB should have been working out a future captain some time ago but, like much of English cricket, it's something that's been glossed over or forgotten,

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My facebook memories thing just made it all a lot worse.

11 years ago today I posted "Looking forward to the next hour or so. England about to keep The Ashes. Just 4 Aussie wickets to get."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I keep seeing this as a reason to keep Root but, IMO, this is the wrong way of looking at it: the question should be "Why isn't there anyone to replace him?".

Look at Australia, Cummins wasn't available, so Smith stepped in but we can see that Head is being groomed to be a future captain too (he was VC for the second test). He's already captain of SA and, now, of Sussex.

The ECB should have been working out a future captain some time ago but, like much of English cricket, it's something that's been glossed over or forgotten,

Tom Haines!? :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wrong comparison - but never mind eh? The difference which you will note in the League table is that Graham Potter’s team are taking the positives, I mean, only lost FOUR matches in five months, currently 9th as it stands, playing attractive football. Now, as for Silverwood and the England cricket team . . . . :shrug:

Last season when we were utterly awful for almost the entire first half of the season “taking the positives” while we were continuously not winning games became a rather tiresome theme.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's pretty difficult to pick a new Test captain - they need to be someone who will play every Test on merit. :shrug:

It’s basically Stokes, isn’t it? Or give it to Broad on a short term basis and hope someone emerges.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Last season when we were utterly awful for almost the entire first half of the season “taking the positives” while we were continuously not winning games became a rather tiresome theme.

But also not losing or conceding goals. So unlike an embarrassing England cricket team.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's pretty difficult to pick a new Test captain - they need to be someone who will play every Test on merit. :shrug:

This is actually an excellent point. How many players do we have whose position is actually safe?! Can't be many. Stokes, Root... Broad and Anderson retiring so they're out. It really is very grim.

I think we all agree Silverwood has to go though. There is absolutely no justifying keeping his job.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It’s basically Stokes, isn’t it? Or give it to Broad on a short term basis and hope someone emerges.

Or a left field suggestion, a youngish captain like South Africa did with Graeme Smith - my suggestion, appreciating it is not without risk, Will Rhodes of Warwickshire given that they were County Champions as well.

He’s also captained England under 19s and MCC against the county champions so he is not entirely off the radar already.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

I disagree. We weren’t awful last season, we were unlucky to an extent and squandered games we should have won through profligacy in front of goal. Despite that we still played decent, attractive football.

If you want utterly awful, in your words, then look at the last half of 2018/19 season. Crystal Palace saved our bacon and got Cardiff relegated - it could easily have been us. The home defeats to Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff in quick order encapsulated how dire we were.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is actually an excellent point. How many players do we have whose position is actually safe?! Can't be many. Stokes, Root... Broad and Anderson retiring so they're out. It really is very grim.

I think we all agree Silverwood has to go though. There is absolutely no justifying keeping his job.

I’d go Buttler and swap his gloves for the captaincy and bat him at at least 6, or even higher, then get Foakes back in and start looking for proper glovemen not batsmen who have learned to keep.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Rubbish. We were genuinely playing positive football creating loads of chances and getting done by an oppositions single chance or inexplicable refereeing. We were rarely awful if at all. There were plenty of positives. Completely at odds with how England have been.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d go Buttler and swap his gloves for the captaincy and bat him at at least 6, or even higher, then get Foakes back in and start looking for proper glovemen not batsmen who have learned to keep.

Exactly where I stand as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here