Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst there is a bit of “they shoot horses, don’t they?” about the squad, English cricket needs to make up its mind re red ball cricket. If they aren’t going to invest in long format and develop test players then they need to scrap it and stop being an embarrassment to cricket fans, some of whom pay a fortune to follow them around the world.
In summary, money has taken sport over hook, line and sinker. Just waiting for five a side to take over the EPL and that’ll be me done.

The 3 countries we have lost to this calendar year all balance the short form with tests pretty well. Each of them has a mix of players playing all formats. Each has batsmen from T20 who open in test matches. They all have bowlers who switch between.

England going home and reverting to prioritising the red ball will leave them behind how others are progressing their cricket in all formats and producing players who are adapting to demands across formats.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Can we ask Australia to keep hold of the whole England team and management?
Put them to work doing something more in line with their skill set.

Like shovelling cow or kangaroo sh*t or something.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I notice Silverwood has swallowed whole the Graham Potter excuses book of "taking the positives" while the shite results keep piling up

We’re 9th in the league [emoji23]

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can anyone suggest a better England team at the moment, because I can't?

Even the potential replacements are crap.

Can we go home now?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Being humbled down under is no stranger for England but the manner of this feels so different, this guy has 6 wickets for 8 runs in his first test, he’s not even bowled well.

If silverwood doesn’t resign after this he has no honour, the last year this England test cricket side have been a disgrace.

Sorry but that’s daft. The guy is no Brett Lee, but that is completely unfair. Of course England were culpable, but Boland bowled a great length, moved it about a bit, and used his home pitch perfectly.

It was exactly like when 38 year old Tim Murtagh, on his home pitch at Lords, took a five-for in about 15 balls to skittle England for 100 or so.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stokes will get out early, Bairstow will come in and him an Root will take England past the 80 run deficit, Bairstow will then get out for his usual 30 odd and the collapse will follow with the usual small contributions, Root left stranded at one end in the 80s. Aussies chase down 100 odd by teatime.

And we beat Chelsea 4-0?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Can we ask Australia to keep hold of the whole England team and management?
Put them to work doing something more in line with their skill set.

Like shovelling cow or kangaroo sh*t or something.

a month running up and down the Brecon Beacons would be more fitting.....bunch of show ponies.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I notice Silverwood has swallowed whole the Graham Potter excuses book of "taking the positives" while the shite results keep piling up

Wrong comparison - but never mind eh? The difference which you will note in the League table is that Graham Potter’s team are taking the positives, I mean, only lost FOUR matches in five months, currently 9th as it stands, playing attractive football. Now, as for Silverwood and the England cricket team . . . . :shrug:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
England are not going to improve. Their career averages don't lie.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A national sporting disgrace

Silverwood having the audacity to suggest there are any positives merely confirms his post tortoise status

I'd suggest Root steps down but we don't appear to have any good test players let alone any captain material.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Root doesn’t deserve to get lumped in with Silverwood and Giles during the inquests.
He’s scored a huge amount of runs and been let down by others.
Some of his on field decisions haven’t worked but nothing would have worked in this series.
It’s like Newport County playing Man City. Analyse it all you want, but City would win every time.
Root should resign though. It can’t be doing him any good.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Root doesn’t deserve to get lumped in with Silverwood and Giles during the inquests.
He’s scored a huge amount of runs and been let down by others.
Some of his on field decisions haven’t worked but nothing would have worked in this series.
It’s like Newport County playing Man City. Analyse it all you want, but City would win every time.
Root should resign though. It can’t be doing him any good.

Agree, Root is a far better player than captain though.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree, Root is a far better player than captain though.

Maybe in a better team he would have shone more as captain. As it is, his weaknesses have been exposed more than they might have been.
It can’t be easy leading that team. Broad and Anderson have been laws unto themselves for years. Batsmen getting themselves out, catches going down, poor coach.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As someone not particularly interested in cricket I found Death of a Gentleman on Netflix a very good watch. It looks at the future of test cricket and impact of T20 games and goes a long way to showing why English cricket is currently in the state it is.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If Root goes as captain, who might replace him who can be sure of a place?

Nobody else is good enough.

All the other batflids need replacing, but all the potential replacements are just as bad if not worse.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Australia scored 267 and won by an innings and 14 runs... how low can we go?

NSC could probably put a better team together.

Take Root out of the equation and A batting average of 9 isn't exactly world class.

I wonder if Boris will invite them to No10 when they get home :lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The 3 countries we have lost to this calendar year all balance the short form with tests pretty well. Each of them has a mix of players playing all formats. Each has batsmen from T20 who open in test matches. They all have bowlers who switch between.

England going home and reverting to prioritising the red ball will leave them behind how others are progressing their cricket in all formats and producing players who are adapting to demands across formats.

I would argue that all three have much better coaches than Silverwood as well....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here