Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This really isn’t true.

Steve Smith is one of the best Test batsman of this century (with an average over 60), and Labuschagne averages an incredible 62.0 at this stage of his Test career. Warner scores freely and still averages just under 50.0.

With the ball they have Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood, who each have 200 or so wickets and are fearsome on home pitches, backed up by a spinner with 400 Test wickets to his name.

Bang average? Hardly.

Bang average maybe harsh, but this Australia team are nothing on the Aussie team of 15/20 years ago that ripped us a new one.

They have 3 world class talents currently Cummins, Smith and Marnus, Starc in the right conditions is world class but equally inconsistent.

England have Root who is arguably the best batsman in the world in all conditions, Ben stokes who is one of if not the best all rounder when fit, Anderson who has more away wickets than any other bowler and a load of other also rans.

It’s about application, and that’s what our batsman lack, don’t get me wrong we’ve seen over the years England teams get rolled down under but I don’t think I’ve seen such a pitiful, spineless effort in my lifetime, the amount of times our batters have got out throughout this series playing crap shots and not leaving balls on length(same old)

The funny thing is Australia have also played crap shots at times, in that 450 they got the other day England dropped about 10 catches, the series has been shambolic from England, I have sympathy with our bowlers because they’ve been let down by the catching and batting.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Its groundhog day - again !

Apart from Archer is there anyone who is missing from the squad who would have maybe made a difference ? I know Stokes is not up to speed yet but it's the lack of any hope for future Tests in the forthcoming years that is so dispiriting.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Its groundhog day - again !

Apart from Archer is there anyone who is missing from the squad who would have maybe made a difference ? I know Stokes is not up to speed yet but it's the lack of any hope for future Tests in the forthcoming years that is so dispiriting.

I expect Stokes to replace Root as captain for one. Sooner rather than later. I'm still not convinced of Archer as a long term prospect.

The issue is the batting. And if the Championship continues its journey to the peripherals then I see little prospect of competing with Australia and India other than tthe odd respectable win on home soil.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm ready for tonight. And a much earlier bed....

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No chance I'm watching. Should be over by lunch.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Stokes will get out early, Bairstow will come in and him an Root will take England past the 80 run deficit, Bairstow will then get out for his usual 30 odd and the collapse will follow with the usual small contributions, Root left stranded at one end in the 80s. Aussies chase down 100 odd by teatime.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Stokes will get out early, Bairstow will come in and him an Root will take England past the 80 run deficit, Bairstow will then get out for his usual 30 odd and the collapse will follow with the usual small contributions, Root left stranded at one end in the 80s. Aussies chase down 100 odd by teatime.
So far you are right Sensei!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I mean, what is that from Stokes? We know how good he is, that’s just a total lapse in concentration, he’s played pretty much a bats width down the wrong line.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is a ****ing shit homer of a decision. Umpires have got to raise the finger when they’re sure, not when they just think it’s close. Utter bullshit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh look, Australia got a marginal LBW call in their favour again from the Australian umpires

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. As I said earlier I believe the grey area is umpire’s call and I imagine whatever decision you give in that case will be considered ok by those who scrutinise as by definition it was marginal either way. I’d love to see some meaningful stats on it, probably they don’t exist or are not widely available.

Here we go again - Bairstow given out on a double umpire’s call. Crucial wicket. But at least the umpires get scrutinised so it’s fine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Incidentally, 03.10 today marks the halfway point in playing time of this Ashes series

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Boland 4-5 , what an incredible bowling performance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Root gone. Trundler Boland has 4-5!

50/50 whether Australia need to bat again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here