Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes 2010: 5 days to go

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Mathew Hayden (a particulary cocky Aussie in my opinion) was quoted on the tv news last night saying ever since he can remember it's the first time all the pre-Ashes series talk in Australia hasn't been about how much they'll win the series by but rather will they win the series - "they don't like it up 'em..."

Stumpy Tim

Michael Vaughan really does know the game, and he knows about captaincy.

He does. I've met him 4 or 5 times & stayed at his house once, but I don't know him well enough to expect the accusations he made to me. I was amazed about some of the stuff he said... basically named players (Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Indian) who took bribes, named cricket people murdered by bookmakers, and named games that were definitely fixed. Pretty mental given he's the former England captain.

The good news is that he said English & Australian newspapers have so much technology & know-how that players from those countries can't be dodgy without getting caught. He said part of the reason the Ashes is so important is that it's as clean as cricket gets.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In the UK we won't hear Ritchie, the Sky team with the usual crew, Beefy, Gower, Bumble, Nasser, Atherton etc. are on there way out there now, for the start on Thursday. Ritchie will be working for Aussie TV and will be part of their coverage (fair play to the bloke as well he refuses to go on to pay TV like Sky). For the game against the Aussie A side he commentated as Sky just took Channel 9's feed, as their mob weren't out there.

Ritchie is a great commentator too, never over exagerates, never moans, never speaks too much let's the pictures do the talking and only enhances a viewers enjoyment of the game.

PS Michael Clarke also a doubt:thumbsup:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Got confused by Sky Sports News this morning saying only 2 days to go - for some reason I thought it started Thursday evening our time rather than Wednesday. Thought it was odd that a test series would start on a Frday in Australia so that clears that up. Will now have to re-schedule Wednesday night's activities to ensure the first hour at least can be watched.

Aggers thinks Bollinger isn't fit so Siddle may get the nod. Probably not much of a difference really, Clarke not being there would be a bigger miss for them.

Then we have all the talk of the toss and what decision to make. I reckon it will be a good toss to lose and Strauss won't want to win the toss and insert them on a green one and then for them to rattle up 300 for 3 again like Nasser did !!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I am excited about it for sure, it seems like we have a decent chance of holding our own, at the very least.

What worries me is the fact that we haven't won a test match in Australia for 25 years that wasn't a dead rubber (ie, where we had already lost the series) such has been their dominance. Underestimate the Aussies are your peril !!

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
They are so much cooler than our national football team. I would have every single one of them over for a cup of tea and a scone.

Cricketers are just far more likeable than footballers, FACT. I've been lucky enough to watch England overseas and they mingle with the supporters superbly and they are just normal blokes. Footballers these days are just such a protected species they lose touch with the common man.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
What would you prefer? England win Ashes or Albion promotion?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cricketers are just ordinary blokes from what I've learned, sure you get the odd egotastic "LOOK AT ME" twonk (I wont name anyone...none from SCCC anyway so it does'nt matter!) but a vast majority of them are great chaps who like a laugh and especially a beer or two!

BACK to the Ashes, whys Bet365 not taking bets on an England 5-0 win? I fancy a POUND on that dont I!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The Aussies don't care about the Ashes anymore. They prefer the highly skillful Aussie Rules now apparently. Just ask Tyrone Bullshitums.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The biggest concern for me is that the side manage to move on from the abject performance we put in at Brisbane 4 years ago. It was so bad I'm sure there are still some mental scars.

In that test England scored 157 in their 1st innings. Other than Trott for Flintoff the Top 6 is the same as it was then. The bowling unit, however, have completely changed. Only one man remains and that's Jimmy Anderson. 4 years ago his Brisbane match stats were 1-195.

I used to live on the Gold Coast and saw the 'Gabba crowd first hand. They're the fiestiest, gobbiest lot in Australia and will dish out plenty of stick. However, the Barmy Army will be there in force and will give it back with interest.

At the end of the day the only ones who can beat England are England themselves. Which is possible. I still fancy us though.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
They are so much cooler than our national football team. I would have every single one of them over for a cup of tea and a scone.

You may get a Stella and fight with optional rape accusation if you invited an England footballer over! They really are a bunch of unlikeable individuals - not a single role model amongst them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here