Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes 2010: 5 days to go

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be fair to England, there does seem to be genuine reason for the expectations this time, whereas I think on the last tour it was perhaps built on blind optimism alone, with little actual substance.

It was a little bit more than optimism, but not much.

We'd just got a credible draw in India and 2005 was fresh in the memory.

Unfortunately our best Captain for a generation was injured, our most destructive opener went mental and got sent home, our opening bowler went mental but stayed, our best bowler got injured in the first game, fletcher refused to pick the best spinner in the squad.

Had none of those things happened I rekon it would've been a close series. We pissed on them at Adeliade and still managed to lose and that defeat killed the rest of the tour.

This time is a world away. A settled team, a winning team, players in form, bowlers bowling for the conditions, options (tremlett) should anyone not perform.

Got thursday and friday off work, can't wait :clap2:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Just a shame we wont hear the dulcet tones of this great man. Or will we?

Attachments

• 890891-richie-benaud.jpg
    890891-richie-benaud.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 182

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just a shame we wont hear the dulcet tones of this great man. Or will we?

I bloody LOVE Richie, he is a GOD among commentators.

He still works for Australian TV, just not here :(

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Whilst sat in HOOTERS last night I pissed myself laughing at the england boys mimicking a sprinkler....especially mushy! Quality stuff

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Am I the only person who thinks Benaud might just be a tad overrated as a commentator? Perhaps I am.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Am I the only person who thinks Benaud might just be a tad overrated as a commentator? Perhaps I am.
There are several that are very good and some that are/were absolute rubbish (Messrs Trueman and Bailey spring to mind), but Benaud is up there with the very best. Always speaks sense, and unlike some others doesn't speak when it's not needed.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
There are several that are very good and some that are/were absolute rubbish (Messrs Trueman and Bailey spring to mind), but Benaud is up there with the very best. Always speaks sense, and unlike some others doesn't speak when it's not needed.

Only listen to the TV commentators if I am watching in a Pub etc..

Shirley the only proper way to enjoy Test Cricket is to mute the TV and listen to TMS? ???

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town

I agree with you in general, but there seems to be this unquestioning reverance for Benaud when in my view his standards have declined quite a lot in recent years, he seems to have turned into a caricature of himself. Still though, a damn sight better than Ian 'answers on a postcard' Botham and the worst of all, Robin Jackman.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Thursday off work = Check
Friday off work = Check
Coffee & Red Bull on the shopping list = Check

Bring...the mutha.....ON!

edit: just realised i'm off WEDNESDAY aswell....awesome....nice long lay in then before the Ashes starts!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Four days.....

:bounce:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just a funny one from The Guardian Ashes Countdown about Warne ..............

They used to say he was responsible for the ball of the century, but that is so last millennium. Now he's involved in the headline of the century. Well, headline of the week anyway. Mr Warne says that the Aussie's should not have picked Xavier Doherty ahead of Nathan Hauritz in the test squad. The Sydney Morning Herald: "That's not my real heir."

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Might see you at the Adelaide Oval 8ace. Got tickets for the Saturday. Loving it as the Aussies really are upset at the very real prospect of losing to us on home soil....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Just changed my blackberry's sms ring tone to Soul Limbo by Booker T & The MG's for the duration of the series - bring it on.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here