Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a nation, do we love our children?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
British Bulldog said:
I'm not saying kids should be allowed in all pubs at all times there has to be limits, But giving the attitude of no kids in pubs full stop I find a very selfish attitude. There's times and places and it goes back to what I was saying about mutual respect. I've got a brother who's been running pubs for a few years and he runs them on the same principle, There's times for family's and there's times for adult only drinking and it's all about fine balancing the two.

I think this is always going to come back to whether you have kids or not.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think with the no smoking law coming in then Pubs should review some policies and perhaps have a slot where kids are welcome (not evenings) , but at the moment , why would any parent want to subject their kids to a load of second hand smoke ?

Nibble said:
I think this is always going to come back to whether you have kids or not.

...............and whether you was one once...............

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
I'm not saying kids should be allowed in all pubs at all times there has to be limits, But giving the attitude of no kids in pubs full stop I find a very selfish attitude. There's times and places and it goes back to what I was saying about mutual respect. I've got a brother who's been running pubs for a few years and he runs them on the same principle, There's times for family's and there's times for adult only drinking and it's all about fine balancing the two.

I agree, as I said some pubs should allow them and others shouldn't

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I would not take my kids to the pub.

Why? Because they would be bored shitless. I know some country pubs have outdoor play areas and they are ok as it gives the kids something to do.

But generally no. Not fair on the kids, in my opinion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
London Calling said:
We had that with A RESTAURANT in Cambridge, owner said she didn't mind, but under Health and safety rules, our child of 18 months wasn't allowed in.

Bit the pain I am I asked what what part of the 1974 Heath and Safety Act she was refering to?

She made a point children block aisles! Not if she on my lap and plus, I added are they fire doors over there. Pointing to a set of double doors, with a directly table in front and adjacent of them.

Yes she said. Well I said, you basically are breaking the law there. If Environmental Health comes in, you would have to move that table immediately or be closed down.

So stop messing where our table.

Pissed of she got a member of staff to show us a table. I wanted to leave but the Grandmother had no energy to go elsewhere.

The staff could not be more apologetic...........and said she was like it with all kids.

That's why I like our area, we can get in everywhere, they all have child seats, other customers don't mind and we don't abuse things. Obvioulsy by 8.00 pm or 8.30 the kids are getting tired, so we go home.

Kids on laps without seatbelts or protective headgear.

surely not.

Questions said:
Kids on laps without seatbelts or protective headgear.

surely not.

a child seat was out of the question...............and of course I ended up having a crap meal:lolol:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
As a father of 6 ranging from 26 down to 6 i think i can offer my opinion with some authority, and that is, if you wish to take kids to a pub, then why not a pub that has a family room/beer garden, i too disagree with taking kids to 'normal' pubs that are often smokey, and full of fat bellied football fans, smoking,swearing,telling filthy jokes, all of which is fantastic, but not with my kids around.
we often take our little one if we fancy a beer , but always make sure we choose the beer garden/family room option, that way other adults cannot complain.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Goodfella said:
if you wish to take kids to a pub, then why not a pub that has a family room/beer garden, i too disagree with taking kids to 'normal' pubs that are often smokey, and full of fat bellied football fans, smoking,swearing,telling filthy jokes, all of which is fantastic, but not with my kids around.

Far too sensible for this board Goodfella!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always think that ''Kids Menu'' is a strange thing to see as well.

Why not the same as what the grown ups eat but smaller portions.

Pizza, nuggets, fish fingers or burgers.

They dont help do they.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Questions said:
I always think that ''Kids Menu'' is a strange thing to see as well.

Why not the same as what the grown ups eat but smaller portions.

Pizza, nuggets, fish fingers or burgers.

They dont help do they.

Apparantly in places like France kids menus are exactly the same as adults.

The portions and prices are just smaller.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We take Arthur to the pub, we're allowed in the Duke until 7pm. As long as he's well behaved I don't give a flying monkeys what anyone else thinks. He gets on well with the locals, usually collects a pocket of change for his money box (he's saving for a trike) and he loves trotting around shaking peoples hands. Some people ignore him and so I steer him clear, as I appreciate some people don't want a 20 month old smiling and shouting CAR at them. But we get a quick hour out as a family, and have fun, and thats what its all about.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am 33 but when I was a kid you just didn't go into pubs.

Beer gardens in the summer where the nearest you got.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
We take Arthur to the pub, we're allowed in the Duke until 7pm. As long as he's well behaved I don't give a flying monkeys what anyone else thinks. He gets on well with the locals, usually collects a pocket of change for his money box (he's saving for a trike) and he loves trotting around shaking peoples hands. Some people ignore him and so I steer him clear, as I appreciate some people don't want a 20 month old smiling and shouting CAR at them. But we get a quick hour out as a family, and have fun, and thats what its all about.

Likewise.

Our local pub is very family orientated and there are always plenty of children roaming around.

That said, I do agree with Les and Nibble to a point. I am a parent and we often take our children into pubs, but I still don't want my evening ruined by children running amok and making nuisances of themselves. I like to think my children are pretty well behaved and have respect for their hosts. We have always left by 7pm at the latest as well.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Better to take them to a club, the Legion was always favourite when mine were small.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Likewise.

Our local pub is very family orientated and there are always plenty of children roaming around.

That said, I do agree with Les and Nibble to a point. I am a parent and we often take our children into pubs, but I still don't want my evening ruined by children running amok and making nuisances of themselves. I like to think my children are pretty well behaved and have respect for their hosts. We have always left by 7pm at the latest as well.

I do see their point also, but I reckon its fairly easy to spot someone who wants to be left alone, and when your kids are pretty well behaved its fairly easy to point them in another direction isn't it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I really get the impression that people in the UK hate kids. It's not just the attitude to going to restaurants, it's the crap food that's given to them, it's the 'No ball games' signs everywhere, it's the constant whingeing about kids from people who have forgotten how to be kids themselves.

For me, one of the happiest sounds of all is children playing together.

"When voices of children are heard on the green/And laughter is heard on the hill/Then my heart is at rest within my breast/And everything else is still". If Blake were alive today, he'd probably be dismissed as some sort of weirdo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here