Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a nation, do we love our children?

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
rool said:
I have sympathy with that. As our kids are getting older my wife and I have virtually no time to ourselves for errm you know.

It's not like when they were smaller and they would go to sleep at 8, they are now 12/13, more sexually aware than I was at their age, awake before us and usually don't go to sleep until after we have gone to bed despite sending them to bed at an earlier time.

It's hell you know

I suggest you don't try using a pub/restaurant for that sort of "adult time".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
British Bulldog said:
Thats where it comes down to proper parenting of your own kids in pubs Les, I've allways taken my kids to pubs but would never have let them run around causing chaos and making a nuisence of themselves because I respect there will be adults who maybe want to sit and have a quiet drink with friends.

I respect that you ensure good behaviour from your children but kids in pubs still means adults have to watch their behaviour. Can't we have one place left for adults, every other place has been taken over by them?

Mind you, there are plenty of pubs to go that you won't find kids in.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Nibble said:
I respect that you ensure good behaviour from your children but kids in pubs still means adults have to watch their behaviour. Can't we have one place left for adults, every other place has been taken over by them?

Mind you, there are plenty of pubs to go that you won't find kids in.

They seem to have it about right over here in Ireland now. Kids are allowed in until 9pm, which means you the family can go in for a couple and then leave just as the serious drinking is about to start.

In reality it means mum takes the kids home, leaving dad to carry on.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
rool said:
They seem to have it about right over here in Ireland now. Kids are allowed in until 9pm, which means you the family can go in for a couple and then leave just as the serious drinking is about to start.

In reality it means mum takes the kids home, leaving dad to carry on.

That seems to be the same in many English pubs too. Still, I don't like kids in Pubs full stop. Especially in Brighton where the uber trendy parents let their little angels run riot and never pull them up. Grrr!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Nibble said:
It may be seen as old fashioned but I see Pubs as an adult place where adults should be able to smoke, swear and have a laugh - when kids are around I have to temper my behaviour and I find it annoying. You have Children so if you wanted to go to the pub without them you would need to find someone to take care of them and it is easier to take them with you.

I also don't believe a pub is a very good environment for children to be in.

My youngest is 15 next month so he could probably teach you a thing or two about swearing Nibble but at the end of the day it's all about respecting other people around you, I often take little bulldog and his mate to the brewery tap pre match for a few drinks and a burger and chips but I insist they show respect to adult drinkers in the pub. If they want to play pool we make sure we get to the pub early enough so we can have a few games before the regular pool players get there. And as the pub starts filling up they just sit quietly in a corner out of the way causing no harm to anybody so where's the harm in that? Under your thinking that should'nt be allowed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
British Bulldog said:
My youngest is 15 next month so he could probably teach you a thing or two about swearing Nibble but at the end of the day it's all about respecting other people around you, I often take little bulldog and his mate to the brewery tap pre match for a few drinks and a burger and chips but I insist they show respect to adult drinkers in the pub. If they want to play pool we make sure we get to the pub early enough so we can have a few games before the regular pool players get there. And as the pub starts filling up they just sit quietly in a corner out of the way causing no harm to anybody so where's the harm in that? Under your thinking that should'nt be allowed.

Yeah, sorry - It's just my opinion. I really object to kids in pubs. I believe some things should be for adults only and pubs, in my opinion is one of things. I know this is not a popular opinion especially with parents but I can't see myself changing my mind anytime soon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
P.S I am not horrible to kids, If I go to pub full of families I usually find somewhere else to drink.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think that where pubs serve food and upto say 9pmish I cant see the problem in having kids in pubs. As long as they are not running around causing mayhem. Buts thats parental responsibility. Sometimes explaining to children that its wrong to be running around shouting and screaming in certain places. British Bulldog has got it completely right.

It gets to me that we see children of all ages as a nuisance, that they should only appear when we want them too, that they should only open their mouths when spoken too etc. Its no wonder that we see kids on street corners with nothing to do and with parents not offereing something else.

They should be seen as a member of our families, and also seen as members of society with a lot to offer society.

Yes there are problem children, but they are normally the result of problem parents.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I agree with Nibble and not just because I drink with him. With kids in pubs you have to watch your behaviour, and I don't mean shagging your bird on the bar but just generally just loud behaviour that you worry may be intimidating to children or of a sexual nature.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went to the North Star in Worthing for a meal last year and I was told upon entry that there were no children allowed. I thought that was terrible.

Pubs I can understand but a restaurant.

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
I couldn't be without mine. I know adults need time to themselves but surely that must be in eye-shot or ear-shot or staying with loved ones and as much as the parents in Portugal are hurting beyond belief, I still think they were in the wrong. Let's all pray that they are back together soon.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
I agree with Nibble and not just because I drink with him. With kids in pubs you have to watch your behaviour, and I don't mean shagging your bird on the bar but just generally just loud behaviour that you worry may be intimidating to children or of a sexual nature.

Each to they're own Les! You and Nibble view pubs on what you want but I'd rather look at the bigger picture of pubs catering for everybody.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think it is mostly selfish behaviour by parents to be honest. They do not want to give up going to the pub so they pretend they just can't be seperated from their kids and they want to act as a family. Surely there are other things the kids would rather be doing than drinking coke and watching their parents drink?

When I see kids in pubs they mostly look bored out of their tiny little minds.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
British Bulldog said:
Each to they're own Les! You and Nibble view pubs on what you want but I'd rather look at the bigger picture of pubs catering for everybody.

I disagree slightly, if pubs all welcome children then they don't cater for people who want to have an adult pint. Why shouldn't people be given a place to go to which is free of other peoples children.

Of course I view pubs on what I want, but at the same time you do also. You want to go to the pub with your kids, therefore it suits you that they allow kids.

I don't think either of us is wrong, just a preferance is all.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Nibble said:
I think it is mostly selfish behaviour by parents to be honest. They do not want to give up going to the pub so they pretend they just can't be seperated from their kids and they want to act as a family.

I'm sure there are parents who use that excuse but then again why should'nt you be able to go to a pub as a family?

Maybe you and Les should give up your lobs you dislike and open an adult only pub together. :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
British Bulldog said:
I'm sure there are parents who use that excuse but then again why should'nt you be able to go to a pub as a family?

Maybe you and Les should give up your lobs you dislike and open an adult only pub together. :lolol:

:D I am going to open a gentlemans club that serves Beer, whiskey cigars and red meat to adult males. Get In!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
I disagree slightly, if pubs all welcome children then they don't cater for people who want to have an adult pint. Why shouldn't people be given a place to go to which is free of other peoples children.

I'm not saying kids should be allowed in all pubs at all times there has to be limits, But giving the attitude of no kids in pubs full stop I find a very selfish attitude. There's times and places and it goes back to what I was saying about mutual respect. I've got a brother who's been running pubs for a few years and he runs them on the same principle, There's times for family's and there's times for adult only drinking and it's all about fine balancing the two.

Questions said:
I went to the North Star in Worthing for a meal last year and I was told upon entry that there were no children allowed. I thought that was terrible.

Pubs I can understand but a restaurant.

We had that with A RESTAURANT in Cambridge, owner said she didn't mind, but under Health and safety rules, our child of 18 months wasn't allowed in.

Bit the pain I am I asked what what part of the 1974 Heath and Safety Act she was refering to?

She made a point children block aisles! Not if she on my lap and plus, I added are they fire doors over there. Pointing to a set of double doors, with a directly table in front and adjacent of them.

Yes she said. Well I said, you basically are breaking the law there. If Environmental Health comes in, you would have to move that table immediately or be closed down.

So stop messing where our table.

Pissed of she got a member of staff to show us a table. I wanted to leave but the Grandmother had no energy to go elsewhere.

The staff could not be more apologetic...........and said she was like it with all kids.

That's why I like our area, we can get in everywhere, they all have child seats, other customers don't mind and we don't abuse things. Obvioulsy by 8.00 pm or 8.30 the kids are getting tired, so we go home.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If kids are a problem as a (mainly) non parent I'm inclined to blame their parents. If anything it depends on where and who brought them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here