Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article by Dean Hammond in the Essex gazette

gs71

Nov 26, 2007
Dean: I want to stay with U's
By Jonathan Waldron

I'm staying put.

Dean Hammond today handed relegation-haunted Colchester United a boost by pledging his future to the club.

The 25-year-old tenacious midfielder only arrived at Layer Road from Brighton and Hove Albion in the January transfer window.

However, there had been fears among some U's followers that he might look to leave in search of Coca-Cola Championship football.

But despite the club's likely return to League One, Hammond has said he is happy to stay at Colchester and has not even contemplated the prospect of leaving.

He told the Gazette: "Colchester have given me the opportunity to play and I want to play for them.

advertisement"I'm happy here, the boys have made me feel welcome and I'm really enjoying my football.

"We've got the new stadium around the corner, we have a good squad and leaving has not even entered my mind."

Colchester's relegation from the Championship could be confirmed on Saturday if they lose to East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town.

But despite the club's recent run of form - which has seen them fail to win any of their last ten games - Hammond said the U's players are still striving to secure as many points as possible between now and the end of the season.

"We're all desperate for a win but everyone is working hard for each other and you can't ask any more than that," said Hammond. "While we're all doing that we're going to improve.

"We have to take the positives from our performance against West Brom last weekend.

"We came out fighting against a team towards the top of the league on their own ground.

"I don't think too many teams have picked up points at the Hawthorns.

"We know we should have got something but hopefully we showed the fans that we're still fighting."

Colchester have five games remaining and can still play a part in the promotion and relegation issues in the Championship.

Hammond insists he and his team-mates will not throw in the towel.

He added: "I think in the Championship, any team can beat anyone.

"As long as there is a chance that we can stay up, then we'll keep fighting.

"We have to play every game so why not try and win every game?

"You can see that's our attitude from the way we played against West Brom, even though the result didn't go our way.

"The performance was an improvement on the Norwich game and we have to keep improving."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bog standard, crushingly dull, same-old same-old footballer interview. I've read more interesting and enlightening stuff on the back of a bag of crisps.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Colchester's relegation from the Championship could be confirmed on Saturday if they lose to East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town.
Colchester hate Ipswich, although of course this isn't reciprocated, because Ipswich consider Colchester to be far too noddy.

So how funny it would be if Ipswich relegated them.

Rubbish, Utter Rubbish.

He was one of the better players in the Championship for Brighton.
No he wasn't. He was a crap Championship player for us. Totally anonymous in most games I ever saw him play at that level. He only came good for us in the middle of last season.

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Rubbish, Utter Rubbish.

He was one of the better players in the Championship for Brighton.

No he wasn't.

And even if he was, that doesn't make him good enough for the Championship because the whole side was generally gash that year.

But he was anonymous in most games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Colchester hate Ipswich, although of course this isn't reciprocated, because Ipswich consider Colchester to be far too noddy.

So how funny it would be if Ipswich relegated them.

No he wasn't. He was a crap Champioship player for us. Totally anonymous in most games I ever saw him play at that level. He only came good for us in the middle of last season.

He scored quite a few key goals, 2 at withers against West Ham and 1 Against Burnely for a start that won points.

He also was a threat in the air when used on the left, looked to push forward and could tackle.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think some translation of the 'I'm happy here' interview is required.

It goes: "No Championship club has approached my agent yet - but obviously if they do, then I'll be off. This shower are are a much smaller club than Brighton, God knows what I was thinking."

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Colchester are an ambitious club, why would he want to leave?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I would be surprised if he left, I can't imagine he's done enough in Colchester's awful run to persuade another Championship club to pay £250k for him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He scored quite a few key goals, 2 at withers against West Ham and 1 Against Burnely for a start that won points.

He also was a threat in the air when used on the left, looked to push forward and could tackle.

I agree. There are a few posts here that sound bitter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He was a good player for us when he was here - nothing more, nothing less.

He's made a bad career move and now he's reaping what his agent has sowed.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I think some translation of the 'I'm happy here' interview is required.

It goes: "No Championship club has approached my agent yet - but obviously if they do, then I'll be off. This shower are are a much smaller club than Brighton, God knows what I was thinking."

Totally agree. The translation goes on to say. "I think I'm better than this level of football, and if I can just find someone else who thinks so too, who knows I might be able to make another load of money"

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
That interview could just as easily have been written for the Argus about Brighton.

Happy to play League One football
New Stadium round the corner
Likes to play football
etc.

Either he's fallen out with someone here or Colchester paid him more. I cannot see any other reason for one of the most pointless football switches of recent times.

He was a local boy who came through the ranks to make it to captain the side. It just seems so bizarre he swapped that for a hopeless team.

It would be funny if we did make the play-off final, and even better if we won it, swapping places with the U's.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
He says that Col U gave him an opportunity to play as if he was languishing in the reserves at Albion. Hammond, you were the f***ing captain of your hometown club, you prick!!!!! It was the Albion that gave you the opportunity to play!!!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, they gave him an opportunity to play by benching him after he arrived...Christ, even Benny off Crossroads wouldn't have made such a crap move...

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Colchester are an ambitious club, why would he want to leave?

Indeed!!!!

Wasn't that the whole reason he left us? Surely he should be looking to move on now and play Championship football if he was true to his word?

The guy has made one huge mistake in my opinion. I like the "we have a new stadium just around the corner" quote. Yeah one half the size of what you could have been running out as team captain in.

I think the truth is out there ....

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

Lets hope we make the play offs and go up!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here