Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Artic monkeys-Why?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Arctic monkeys-Why?

Is there so much hype?

Bog standard from what i've heard so far!

Discuss

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Agreed, I may be getting old but they sound like the poor man's Sham 69 (and that it true poverty),

E

enigma

Most of those indie bands are over-hyped anyway. More talent in East London than any of those lot.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Mainly because some mindless hack from the NME has decided that he likes them, therefore other magazines and papers decide that the band must be really cool and start raving about them too. Because they are getting lots of press coverage, 53 people buy their single thus sending them to the top of the charts.

Virgos Magician

Sep 13, 2004
Sydney
:eek: Arctic Monkeys Rule. Best band ive heard in a while, cant wait for the album to be released. There new song is amazing along with all there others

Btw its spelt Arctic not Artic

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Virgos Magician said:
:eek: Arctic Monkeys Rule. Best band ive heard in a while, cant wait for the album to be released. There new song is amazing along with all there others

Btw its spelt Arctic not Artic

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the album is pretty average IMO.

Some good records on there but they are all very samey and lets face it it's all been done before.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Single I hated first time I heard it - now I think it's fantastic - love it. Should really download the rest of the album and make my mind up on the rest of it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lot of unmerited indie band hype at the moment. The only ones that I have heard worth their salt are Bloc Party, Interpol, Arcade Fire and Wolf Parade. All this ska/punk revival shit is dull and derivative.

E

enigma

Too much hype. There are so many more exciting things coming out of the UK like Dubstep and Grime at the moment, and all the journos do is focus on Indie. Disappointing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
enigma said:
Too much hype. There are so many more exciting things coming out of the UK like Dubstep and Grime at the moment, and all the journos do is focus on Indie. Disappointing.

the hell is grime?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The hype has taken on a life of its own. The media are now reporting on the media reporting on the media coverage.

As The Guardian puts it today:

"In the past six months, the media have parroted the tale of their rise to stardom so often that there can be hardly anyone who is unaware of its salient points.

"The only surprise was that it didn't turn up in the Queen's Christmas speech:

"At this time of yarh, one's thoughts turn to the Commonwealth, and also to Arctic Monkeys, who cultivated a fanbase by making MP3s available on the internet, and before they had even released a proper single, managed to sell ite London's Astoria."

Everyone seems involved in a frantic attempt to appear above the hype by reporting on it, thus self-perpetuating the band to ever higher levels of attention.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
bhafc99 said:
The hype has taken on a life of its own. The media are now reporting on the media reporting on the media coverage.

As The Guardian puts it today:

"In the past six months, the media have parroted the tale of their rise to stardom so often that there can be hardly anyone who is unaware of its salient points.

"The only surprise was that it didn't turn up in the Queen's Christmas speech:

"At this time of yarh, one's thoughts turn to the Commonwealth, and also to Arctic Monkeys, who cultivated a fanbase by making MP3s available on the internet, and before they had even released a proper single, managed to sell ite London's Astoria."

Everyone seems involved in a frantic attempt to appear above the hype by reporting on it, thus self-perpetuating the band to ever higher levels of attention.

Nice point :thumbsup: i enjoyed that

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i think they are amazing. quality stuff imo. and i base that opinion on the 12 tracks i downloaded from them. they will fill the hole left by the libertines. as babyshambles are crap.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not been a good state of affairs ever since the demise of Sounds and Melody Maker, when NME became the sole survivor of the music weeklies. Too many dodgy bands and artists getting the nod. Christ knows how much the Strokes record company are paying NME in free flights & hotels in New York, not to mention the rest of it... Complete abuse of a monopoly.

Highly reminiscent of the days when XTC's record company were so desperate to get some positive press for their woeful band that they despatched them on a mini-tour of youth-clubs in South East Asia - to which of course NME were invited along as guests, all expenses paid. Funnily enough, the resulting double-page spread was about the only time XTC never got the well-deserved piss ripped out of them by NME.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here