Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Artic monkeys-Why?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Virgos Magician said:
:eek: Arctic Monkeys Rule. Best band ive heard in a while, cant wait for the album to be released. There new song is amazing along with all there others

Btw its spelt Arctic not Artic

pssst, BTW....it's "their" not "there".

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I know there manager as he he was my stage manager at Glastonbury. Should be filming them soon as well. Downloaded the album and its alright, only listened a couple of times, nothing amazing. I prefer the Editors at the moment.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
The've got a few excellent songs like Mardy bum and A Certain Romance. I don't think the album really live upto the hype its good but not amazing.

Re: Re: Arctic monkeys-Why?

Chesney Christ 1 said:
Agree. Boring, derivative shite.

There's nothing I like more than a music snob. :rolleyes:

Why derivative? Boring? Well maybe if they're not your thing. Shite? Again, a matter of taste. But why derivative? Of course, any band that picks up a guitar can't claim to be original, but then there has been f*** all truly original stuff around for ages now.

Personally, I quite like the Monkeys. I like their lyrical style, the band is tight and they have produced some cracking tracks, Mardy Bum is superb. Yes, the hype is over the top but that's typical of the NME. I know I'd much rather listen to the Arctic Monkeys than Franz Ferdinand any day. Now they are derivative. Close your eyes and it's like listening to a substandard Gang Of Four.

Last edited:

E

enigma

fake slim said:
the hell is grime?

Music made by the likes of Dizzee Rascal. It incorporates everything from garage, jungle, hip-hop and ragga.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Re: Re: Re: Arctic monkeys-Why?

Originally posted by Kylies Stunt Arse

Why derivative? Boring? Well maybe if they're not your thing. Shite? Again, a matter of taste. But why derivative? Of course, any band that picks up a guitar can't claim to be original, but then there has been f*** all truly original stuff around for ages now.

Personally, I quite like the Monkeys. I like their lyrical style, the band is tight and they have produced some cracking tracks, Mardy Bum is superb. Yes, the hype is over the top but that's typical of the NME. I know I'd much rather listen to the Arctic Monkeys than Franz Ferdinand any day. Now they are derivative. Close your eyes and it's like listening to a substandard Gang Of Four.
[/QUOTE]

I'd say the gorillaz are fairly original...kate bush's new album too maybe?

Franz ferdinand-Garbage of the most over-hyped variety

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Arctic monkeys-Why?

fake slim said:
Franz ferdinand-Garbage of the most over-hyped variety

i love Franz Ferdinand's new album, apart from a few average songs i could listen to it over and over again. Have you listened to the album all the way through???

Re: Re: Re: Arctic monkeys-Why?

Kylies Stunt Arse said:

Beck, The Beta Band, Hope of The States, Sigur Ros, The Cooper Temple Clause, Mew, Antony and The Johnsons, The Go Team - all acts with their own sound writing genuinely original and innovative music.

And Radiohead still continue to write glorious music that sounds like no one else. Until everyone else copy them that is.

For me, Arctic Monkey's just sound exactly the same to all the other "haircut" bands that NME endlessly spunk over because their closet homosexual writers want to f*** the lead singer.

Chesney Christ 1 said:
Beck, The Beta Band, Hope of The States, Sigur Ros, The Cooper Temple Clause, Mew, Antony and The Johnsons, The Go Team - all acts with their own sound writing genuinely original and innovative music.

And Radiohead still continue to write glorious music that sounds like no one else. Until everyone else copy them that is.

For me, Arctic Monkey's just sound exactly the same to all the other "haircut" bands that NME endlessly spunk over because their closet homosexual writers want to f*** the lead singer.

Beck - Ben Folds
The Beta Band - Mogwai (and they've split up)
CTC - Many other guitar bands
Mew - Many other light indie bands
Go! Team - Avalanches
Sigur Ros - Explosions In The Sky or Godspeed! You Black Emperor.

Hope Of The States I don't know too well so can't comment. A&TJ aren't really doing a lot different to other singer/songwriting artists. It's only Antony's voice that sets them apart.

My point isn't to slag off your choices, but just to point out that they're not "genuinely original" Not much is these days. I like a lot of the stuff you've named above.

I can see why you think the way you do about the Arctic Monkeys, and I can see that the hype is over the top, but I don't see them as entirely derivative, at least they're trying to put a different spin on things. Singing in his accent rather than a put in fake voice. Writing about things that people relate to, in a way that people would often put it. I like that, but can see why some wouldn't.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

Chesney Christ 1 said:

So that I understand, what is it that is so revolutionary about all the bands that you've listed? What are they doing that no-one has ever done before?

Not sounding like anything you've heard before does not make them innovative, it may mean they've discovered a new sound on their casio keyboard or it may mean that they've got a voice like cat being tortured (can you guess who I'm referring to in both cases?).

Sorry, but KSA is right, this is just music snobbery.

PS. You were joking about the Cooper Temple Clause weren't you?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Chesney Christ 1 said:

It's called the Richard Ashcroft syndrome. The Verve who's hits include...er...Bitter Sweet Symphony...and er...and yet because he's nailed the 70s image with his shades, haircut and leather jacket he's the frickin Second Coming!

Oh and the Arctic Monkeys - the biggest pile of over-hyped crud to get to number one.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
graz126 said:
agreed franz ferdinand over rated. :glare:

Their first album is a cracker from start to finish. Haven't bothered with the second album as the tunes released from it so far have been...well....shite.

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
Arctic Monkeys are well over-rated. I've heard about 25 of their songs and none of them are any better than average. I certainly won't be buying their album.

Try The Ordinary Boys, Dead 60s, The Cribs, The Rakes, The Rifles and The Kooks if you want some decent modern music.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i read a track-by-track review/story in a mag the other day and every song is about going out in sheffield and the estate or areas they used to hang around in... to be honest a bit shallow and maybe immature, like hard-fi... easy indie music for teenagers in long sleeved black t-shirts.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Cheeky Monkey said:
Their first album is a cracker from start to finish. Haven't bothered with the second album as the tunes released from it so far have been...well....shite.

I could only find one song on first album.

Sorry i have just been told there was more than one song, they just all sound the same.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
KinkyHitler said:

Sorry i have just been told there was more than one song, they just all sound the same.

Not getting confused with The Strokes debut album Kinky? (another classic I might add)

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
IF their album is any bit as good as THE BACK ROOM by THE EDITORS then we have something special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here