Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsey Stewards on Saturday

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Half Man Half Biscuit said:
I thought the atmosphere on both sides was pretty good on Saturday.

Lets face it, if we were playing a team in a divison below us in the FA Cup at home there wouldn't have been anything like that kind of atmosphere.

Spurs were quiet from where i was sitting. I heard them get behind the team when they scored but also heard them getting on their backs once we had equalised.. There were only one or two opposite us getting up and having a go at the lino or the ref etc. The rest were content to just sit there........not my idea of passionate supporting.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thought the police did well, kept an eye on things without really getting involved except for when they had to when it was getting a bit heated right in the left corner of the top tier. Kept themselves to themselves.

Stewards were trying to get us to sit down (that's their job you know) and people gave them ause (including me), of course they are going to get a bit arsey.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
they threw that guy out after 75 minutes when the tosser steward decided he was bored and needed something to do, they seemed to miss the spurs fan who thre the water though !!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I completely agree the stewards doing their job and they were spot on in my books, apart from this one!!

It was like he decided, Im gonna chuck someone out!!

:nono:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
:lolol: :lolol:

Was she kicking off and wantin some?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought they were ok.

They said to my old man that they didnt need to search him because he 'looks like Ricky Villa'.

Also more then a couple congratulated us on our superb support on the way out and said good luck with the new ground.

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Stinky Kat said:
Isnt it a case of away fans always make loads of noise because we are together and as its a day out for us and so one or 2 of us have had a glass of shandy beforehand.

At withdean I normally go straight to the ground and do not sit with all my mates so am less noisey.

Plus Spurs fans were probably not as excited about this tie as they would be if they had got Arsenal or Chelsea. I bet they make a noise for what they perceive as their bigger games

Absolutely correct.

The Spurs support on Saturday was the quietest it has been all season. Number of reasons. Partly, a large number of fans from the main singing area of the ground (to the right of the away support) were dispersed by the extra allocation of away tickets because it was a cup game.

Then, as you rightly point out, while we wanted to win very much, a team that is 18th in the Championship is understandably not what we consider big opposition. It was one of those days that we expected our team to get us going rather than the other way around. Since we didn't play well (or weren't allowed to play well), the fans stayed quiet.

But generally, WHL is one of the better grounds for atmosphere in the Prem and I can assure you that there is a very different atmosphere against the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea, however well we play!

As for Saint Lennard claimijng that he's delighted not to be in the Prem because it seems so soulless.......

...Yes, of course, son. We believe you and I look forward to seeing your suicidally depressed expression on the TV if and when, in a few years, you win the Championship play off final at Wembley. ;)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Paxtonlad said:
Absolutely correct.

The Spurs support on Saturday was the quietest it has been all season. Number of reasons. Partly, a large number of fans from the main singing area of the ground (to the right of the away support) were dispersed by the extra allocation of away tickets because it was a cup game.

Then, as you rightly point out, while we wanted to win very much, a team that is 18th in the Championship is understandably not what we consider big opposition. It was one of those days that we expected our team to get us going rather than the other way around. Since we didn't play well (or weren't allowed to play well), the fans stayed quiet.

But generally, WHL is one of the better grounds for atmosphere in the Prem and I can assure you that there is a very different atmosphere against the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea, however well we play!

As for Saint Lennard claimijng that he's delighted not to be in the Prem because it seems so soulless.......

...Yes, of course, son. We believe you and I look forward to seeing your suicidally depressed expression on the TV if and when, in a few years, you win the Championship play off final at Wembley. ;)

Your comment about the atmosphere is strictly not true. I have been here a few times and have never heard much from Tottenham I'm afraid. I concede that the London derby games may well be the exception

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
And on the subject of stewarding, I can confirm that Spurs fans have also been thrown out for standing this season. It's a nonsense, of course, but not one of Spurs' making.

It's the jobsworths at Haringey council health and safety. They have threatened to close down parts of the ground if Spurs don't do something about standing at games.

And, to be fair, there are some fans (old, young etc) who don't want to stand and whose view of the game is ruined by people standing in front of them.

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Quantum said:
Your comment about the atmosphere is strictly not true. I have been here a few times and have never heard much from Tottenham I'm afraid. I concede that the London derby games may well be the exception

Well, as someone who goes to every home game and most away games, I can tell you that what I said is true - strictly or not! I'm not saying that the atmosphere at WHL is always great but it is better than it is at most other Premiership grounds.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Paxtonlad said:
Absolutely correct.

I can assure you that i would cut my nose off to spite my face. Ask any of those on hear who know me. I have said it to them many a time.

Lets hope i am able to prove you wrong. I won't hold my breath though.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Standing in seated areas is a lost cause, sooner or later most the front row will get ejected or nicked at a game till it sinks in.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Paxtonlad said:
And on the subject of stewarding, I can confirm that Spurs fans have also been thrown out for standing this season. It's a nonsense, of course, but not one of Spurs' making.

It's the jobsworths at Haringey council health and safety. They have threatened to close down parts of the ground if Spurs don't do something about standing at games.

And, to be fair, there are some fans (old, young etc) who don't want to stand and whose view of the game is ruined by people standing in front of them.

Its a saftey issue Stemming from the Taylor report. If a pig smells booze on your breath when your doing your standing antics you could be nicked.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Somone was standing in front of my seat. So even if I had wanted to sit, I couldn't. So the steward asked me to move! My dad told her where to go and almost got kicked out. :jester:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I had two older ladies (OAPs, wonderfully enjoying themselves throughout the game).

Never heard them complain once about standing throughout the game, think I hugged one of em when we scored!! :lolol:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
When will we understand it is not about wanting to stand. The regulations were made for your own protection. Read the two Taylor reports. Not just the one, and you will find that it was only enthusiastic fans and bad policing and stewarding that caused so many sad deaths.
We don't like sitting but we all know it is the stewards job to make us sit (especially in a capacity crowd) and we also take young and old away whom can't see when everybody is standing.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
mrhairy said:
When will we understand it is not about wanting to stand. The regulations were made for your own protection. Read the two Taylor reports. Not just the one, and you will find that it was only enthusiastic fans and bad policing and stewarding that caused so many sad deaths.
We don't like sitting but we all know it is the stewards job to make us sit (especially in a capacity crowd) and we also take young and old away whom can't see when everybody is standing.

SO why not give those of us that want to stand, an area in which to do it?

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Wardywonderland said:
SO why not give those of us that want to stand, an area in which to do it?

Exactly for the reasons outlined above. The second Taylor report demanded all seating, and stewards police, and the ground safety staff all did not perform. Therefore, now jobsworths have right on their side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here