Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsene Wenger - nice bloke

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mark Hughes disappointed by Arsene Wenger's behaviour

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has accused Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger of "not knowing how to behave" after their Carling Cup quarter-final. City beat a youthful Gunners side 3-0 at Eastlands and Wenger did not shake hands with Hughes at the final whistle.

"Maybe he's used to winning games and when he does lose sometimes he doesn't know how to behave," said Hughes.

But Wenger replied: "I think I have nothing to say. I am free to shake hands with whom I want after the game."

Carlos Tevez, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Vladimir Weiss scored the second-half goals against a youthful Arsenal side which saw City ease into the semi-finals - their first time in the last four of a domestic cup competition since 1981 - where they will play local rivals Manchester United.

"Wenger has lavished many gifts on the game since his arrival at Arsenal, but grace in defeat has not been one of them."
BBC Sport's Phil McNulty

The two managers were at loggerheads on the touchline during the game, with the Arsenal boss complaining to the fourth official that Hughes had left his technical area.

"At one point I was over on his side of the technical area and he seemed to be a bit aggrieved by that," added Hughes. "But I think he is probably more aggrieved because he got beaten. I have been to the Emirates Stadium and been beaten 6-2 but I still offered my hand at the end. It is the least you can do. I am a little bit disappointed in that respect. You should be a bit more gracious than that because it is unnecessary. We all hurt when we get beaten, but you should always offer your hand."

When it was suggested to Wenger in the post-match news conference that a handshake was 'professional courtesy', the 60-year-old replied sarcastically: "I have no professional courtesy."

But the Frenchman said he would continue to use the Carling Cup to blood the club's youngsters, even though they have not won a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup.

"I do not consider that if you win the Carling Cup you will be going on a trophy parade," said Wenger. "It is a competition for our younger players. If I don't play them here, where would I play them? We played in the quarter-final of the Champions League last season against top teams. Playing in those matches is 10 times harder than playing in the Carling Cup."

Hughes, meanwhile, is already looking forward to a two-legged Manchester derby against United in the semi-finals in January.

"It is a fantastic draw," said Hughes, a League Cup winner with United during his playing career. I'm sure the whole of Manchester will be looking forward to it and the wider worldwide footballing public as well. We'd have fancied our chances against anyone in the draw, so bring them on."

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez said he was relishing the prospect of facing his former club with a trip to Wembley at stake.

"It is a Clasico, and it is a special game for me of course," the Argentine told City's website. "The Manchester City fans want us to win and the important thing is we will be ready for them."

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Great manager and a very clever man, but like Sir Alex he's a shit loser.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Wenger hasn't liked Hughes since those days when there were always sendings off (and usually home wins) when Arsenal went to Ewood. He kind of has a point, but Hughes - like Allardyce at Bolton - just knew how to play Arsenal at that time. They're both brilliant blokes...seems a shame really. This image of Wenger being some sort of wheezy old aunt who farts roses is ridiculous, as well...when he loses his rag he can swear like a trooper.

"Sir Alex" sucks balls.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fair enough but the idea of Mark Hughes telling anyone how to take defeat gracefully sticks in the throat a little.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
As much as I respect Wenger for coming into the English game and overcoming condescending attitudes from the media, he really is getting even less gracious with age. That is something he has in common with Ferguson.

What really grates with me is that he never misses the opportunity to criticise international football while quite happily picking up a nice wedge for co-commentating on France's matches.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Great manager - without a doubt. BUT, he is one hell of a sore loser and isnt it convenient how he "never sees" any incident, mainly penalty claims that his side commit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good old Wenger- still bitter after all these years.

At least it wasn't Adebayor in his face this time :lolol:

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
he is a whining over-rated French twat loved by Arsenal supporting media types who know nothing about football.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
he is a whining over-rated French twat loved by Arsenal supporting media types who know nothing about football.

Harsh...but fair.

I'm always amazed at the easy ride Wenger gets from the media. He's by far the most ungracious of the Prem managers and gets treated as if he were some sort of oracle. Taggart can be a complete cock too but, as the BBC article points out, he generally shakes hands after the game and is known to be generous to other managers. Wenger behaves like a wanker over and over again and gets away with it.

It's a shame because he has the right ideas about how football should be played.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't see why Wenger should shake hands with Hughes. Hughes defended Adebayor to a ridicolous level after the Van Persie stamp and goal celebration, why should Wenger fell obliged to shake hands with him?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is there anything he won't grizzle about...?

Arsene Wenger frustrated by Premier League fixture list

Arsene Wenger has hit out at the Premier League fixture list after his side's 1-1 draw with Burnley. Arsenal play Hull, who have not played since 12 December, on Saturday after away games on Sunday and Wednesday.

"The guy who organised the fixtures this season must have come from a special school, because he's more intelligent than I am," said Wenger. "I think the Premier League has a basic promise to organise the fixtures in a normal way."

Hull's week without a game was a result of Everton's Europa League commitments, and Wenger believes his side have been unfairly treated. Arsenal played away at Liverpool on 13 December, winning 2-1, before taking on Burnley at Turf Moor on Wednesday.

"For sure, (the fixture organisers) have never played football, organising midweek games in a week when you have a Europa League programme," said Wenger. "We have some teams who do not play at all. We play Sunday and Wednesday away and at home on Saturday against Hull, who have not played all week."

Wenger also criticised Wolves boss Mick McCarthy's decision to field a weakened side against Manchester United. McCarthy - with one eye on Sunday's game against fellow newly promoted side Burnley - made 10 changes to his side at Old Trafford, and saw his side fall to a 3-0 defeat.

"We will have to compete with Manchester United over 37 games instead of 38," said Wenger. "I believe it is a problem for the international credibility of the Premier League, but it is not my problem, it is a Premier League problem."

But Burnley boss Owen Coyle refused to condemn McCarthy's decision, despite the fact his side will now face a relatively fresh Wolves team at the weekend. "If that is the motivation for Wolves, to galvanise them, then so be it," said Coyle. "Mick McCarthy is an outstanding manager and fantastic man, somebody I have a lot of time for. He has done a fantastic job at Wolves and does what he sees fit for Wolverhampton."

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Whining? quite often, yes.
French? no denying that.
Twat? matter of opinion.
OVER RATED? Nope. He's an excellent manager who has created the most pleasing team(in England) on the eye that I can remember. Not only that he's created a youth system where there's a constant supply of quality young players who fit seamlessly into the team as and when they are needed.
If you are unable to see that then perhaps it's not the 'aresenal supporting media types' that know nothing about football?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Whining? quite often, yes.
French? no denying that.
Twat? matter of opinion.
OVER RATED? Nope. He's an excellent manager who has created the most pleasing team(in England) on the eye that I can remember. Not only that he's created a youth system where there's a constant supply of quality young players who fit seamlessly into the team as and when they are needed.
If you are unable to see that then perhaps it's not the 'aresenal supporting media types' that know nothing about football?

Agreed. On the whining front, I don't think he has been as bad as he was in the past, but thats not saying much.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is there anything he won't grizzle about...?

Arsene Wenger frustrated by Premier League fixture list

Arsene Wenger has hit out at the Premier League fixture list after his side's 1-1 draw with Burnley. Arsenal play Hull, who have not played since 12 December, on Saturday after away games on Sunday and Wednesday.

"The guy who organised the fixtures this season must have come from a special school, because he's more intelligent than I am," said Wenger. "I think the Premier League has a basic promise to organise the fixtures in a normal way."

Hull's week without a game was a result of Everton's Europa League commitments, and Wenger believes his side have been unfairly treated. Arsenal played away at Liverpool on 13 December, winning 2-1, before taking on Burnley at Turf Moor on Wednesday.

"For sure, (the fixture organisers) have never played football, organising midweek games in a week when you have a Europa League programme," said Wenger. "We have some teams who do not play at all. We play Sunday and Wednesday away and at home on Saturday against Hull, who have not played all week."

Wenger also criticised Wolves boss Mick McCarthy's decision to field a weakened side against Manchester United. McCarthy - with one eye on Sunday's game against fellow newly promoted side Burnley - made 10 changes to his side at Old Trafford, and saw his side fall to a 3-0 defeat.

"We will have to compete with Manchester United over 37 games instead of 38," said Wenger. "I believe it is a problem for the international credibility of the Premier League, but it is not my problem, it is a Premier League problem."

But Burnley boss Owen Coyle refused to condemn McCarthy's decision, despite the fact his side will now face a relatively fresh Wolves team at the weekend. "If that is the motivation for Wolves, to galvanise them, then so be it," said Coyle. "Mick McCarthy is an outstanding manager and fantastic man, somebody I have a lot of time for. He has done a fantastic job at Wolves and does what he sees fit for Wolverhampton."

Tell you what then Arsene. Don't bother qualifying for the Champions League, then you won't have as many European matches to clog up your week days. COCK!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Great manager and a very clever man, but like Sir Alex he's a shit loser.

He obviously doesn't think he's very clever ....

"The guy who organised the fixtures this season must have come from a special school, because he's more intelligent than I am," said Wenger.

Er, Arsene, either "special schools" are different in France, or that's quite an admission.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I honeslty can't understand this 'he's a shit loser' nonsense.

Yes. He is a shit loser. Because HE WANTS TO WIN. How can that be criticised!?

Hence him being ridiculously successful without spending the fortunes of Hughes etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here