Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Dunno why you lot are so down on the minger:-

[tweet]1400167677235245057[/tweet]

oh.

The shocking thing is (apart from the challenge) nobody will be surprised! With VAR, thats a penalty and a red card, yep, should definately be ahead of Mee, Tarkowski, Dunk, White, Webster etc. But then i'm Scottish, carry on Gareth :thumbsup:

Seriously though, if this clown played for Brighton, not only would he not be close to the England team, he'd be on loan in the championship, simply not good enough.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair point - answer for me is he’s not (Phillips) and certainly won’t be a starter. I’m talking the here and now with 26 players already picked - I’d have taken White in the 26 originally maybe, but 25 / 26 will be chosen & Lingard would do more with his experience in the squad for me.

I think you’re partly telling yourself this so you don’t get your hopes up, Sheebs...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Thanks that makes sense.
Ben White must have given himself a huge boost to his England chances then.
Midfield then into defence and also cover the goalie.
Fantastic stuff.well done ben

Paul Hayward tweeted something along the lines of 'massive endorsement re: White's quality, that Southgate is playing him in midfield'.
Was posted earlier in this or the Euros thread.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Problem is, none of them are currently injured so they never stood a chance of being picked.

I know,what the hell is going on?
Southgates picking players that are injured,out of form or haven't played for ages so probably unfit too.
But he leaves out three players in top form,no injuries,match fit and the clincher for me which is they play alongside each other week in week out.
I just don't understand it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My favourite comments are the one's saying that they need to get Ben White 'on the plane'.

Haven't they heard ?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lovely moment for Ben to make his debut. First of many appearances in an England shirt hopefully.

I'd take him if TAA can't make it but I'm biased and I suspect Southgate will take either Ward-Prowse or Lingard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great debut by White - just looks so assured, unlike quite a few others in that England team. Surely even Southgate can see that Ben is a natural....?

When he came on I suddenly felt like I did when my son plays and I watched White rather than watching the ball. To start off with he didn't go near the ball, just settled into shape and helped England look defensively solid. Then gradually the ball found him, or him the ball, and he did, indeed look very assured. Was part of a lovely little pass and move that set DCL away on the right hand side, had his shot coming from deep and always passed well and accurately. Looked a lot more confident than Godfrey.

He really came into his own when TAA went off as well, slotting into that hybrid RCB/RB slot we've seen him play for us when England were defending, keeping it tight and having that excellent clearance off the line.

Probably the one negative I noticed (and this may be my personal choice) is how he blocks. Twice I saw him hang out a high leg rather than put his body in the way. Possibly this is to eliminate any risk of handball, opr because he couldn't get his whole body there in time, but to me it looks a little like a killer deflection waiting to happen, rather than a solid block.

Waking up this morning I am not convinced Southgate will put him in, because, well, because he's Southgate, but he should if TAA really is out and he wants to maintain the squad balance, It would mean not bringing either Walker or James inside as a RCB in a five and we'd effectively have cover in two positions - centre back and CM - where we've got other potential injury issues.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Look at Trents stats for crosses and chances created over the season .

If he’s out then we have cover defensively but will need to replace that side of what he brings .

Ward prowse for me . Takes the corners , free kicks etc

Would love to add white but from an England point of view we are losing a fair bit of creativity with Trent so that needs to be addressed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[tweet]1400178749598056450[/tweet]

Where is he pointing here?

No idea what he is doing and he probably doesnt know either.. yet more frightening however is that bouncing five meter pass from Pickford. Against a quicker player it could have been intercepted.

I think there are four or five better English keepers. Dont understand why Pickford is the first choice.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No idea what he is doing and he probably doesnt know either.. yet more frightening however is that bouncing five meter pass from Pickford. Against a quicker player it could have been intercepted.

I think there are four or five better English keepers. Dont understand why Pickford is the first choice.

A team like France is going to tear the likes of Mings and Pickford to pieces.

We have had world class centre backs for many tournaments but not this one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When he came on I suddenly felt like I did when my son plays and I watched White rather than watching the ball.

I've been doing that with Biss since it became apparent his time with us was almost over.

It really changed my perspective on his levels of greatness, seeing all the 'other stuff' is incredibly revealing, and makes an absolute mockery of the 'player ratings' thread 10 minutes after the final whistle.
(Might as well do those 10 minutes before kick off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here