Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good luck to Ben but he hasn't even been the best central defender at the Albion this season so its a ridiculous decision really. Potential? For sure, but its an insult to Dunk it really is...

Can't argue with that. Delighted for White but a bit gutted for Dunky.

And no, I don't think we can put the Southgate being Palace and not picking Dunk to bed.

I've seen some JCLs on here bleating that they don't get the rivalry and hatred of Palace. They just don't get it. Dunk does. Big time. And that's why Southgate ignores him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good luck to Ben but he hasn't even been the best central defender at the Albion this season so its a ridiculous decision really. Potential? For sure, but its an insult to Dunk it really is...

I doubt he will make the final squad (but pleased if he does) but maybe he's been included because he isn't just a CB but can play in midfield?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not the best but certainly the most versatile. Has played in midfield when needed and, at times, drifted into a right back / RWB role for periods. Young, comfortable on the ball and quicker than Dunk.

Of course we all know how good Lewis is but for whatever reason Southgate doesn't agree. That doesn't mean White shouldn't be selected as he offers all of the above.

Well done young man :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think that there are a couple of take aways from this.

Firstly what a season for Ben White, his first premier league season and already in the England set up. Whether this is just to give him squad experience for the campaigns to come or if he is in serious consideration for the match day squad, it certainly shows one, how good he is, and two, what a great set up we have at the academy. We can now demonstrably show that there is a direct path from the academy to the first team and straight into the England set up. This will certainly encourage other talents to join

The second take away is what on Earth happened with Dunk? If Southgate picks Ben, then the "wont pick a Brighton player" reasoning goes out the window. It becomes a question of what is the issue with Dunk in particular. Is it simply that Dunk didnt come through the Under age set up with England and therefore Southgate simply wont pick him. White hasnt gone through that set up either, but Southgate has been in charge of the full team for long enough that the players he coached are now playing for England or just about to, and he therefore has to look elsewhere for his future squads.

Unfortunately , as others have said, I think its too late for Dunk. His one call up was a bit late in his career anyway for a new player to establish himself and we are a couple of years further on. We have to accept that for whatever reason, currently one of the best defenders in the country wont be playing for England again.

I've seen mention that Dunk didn't impress in the training camp when he was selected. I have no idea is this is true, but that video of Rashford making him look foolish can't have helped.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Could it be that Southgate is planning for the future with this. Maybe he sees White as one for the future and would like to give him some tournament experience to stand him in good stead if he continues knocking on the door?

I have never understood that Dunk hasn't played for England more. When you put him up against the other centre backs available for England he compares well with most and is far better than some.

Sadly the accepted Wisdom is that international players should play for the highest possible placed club.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Enough about Leeds already, it is boring, can we move on, let them bang on about it and seem small minded and petty.
He has had an immense season for us, surely next season Sky wont be saying during commentary "Great tackle by young Ben White, who was on loan at Leeds two seasons ago"

Let's move on Icy Gull.....
He is ours (for now):)

Well done Ben

Of course they will. Along with "Brighton have only won x games at home in 2021"

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't know why there seems to be some bitterness about this just because Dunk is not there? This is a nice surprise and great news for Ben and the club, just enjoy that. He won't play and probably won't even make the final cut but it is a logical call up for now due to his versatility and the fact that he is the future, this is great experience for him.

I believe Dunk does deserve a call up as do most of us but most neutrals don't. This won't be popular but I think as Brighton fans we do have a tendency to over rate Dunk at times due to his status within the club, as the player of the season thread shows, whereas I think both White and Webster are generally under rated.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The squad hasn't officially been announced yet but we all know England have previous for selecting injured players in preference to fit ones for major tournaments.

No doubt Maguire will be included in the squad and if I'm being honest I'd probably pick him as well , the issue for me is if Mings is selected at the expense of pretty much anyone, he's a complete liability imo and Stones always has that mistake waiting to happen in his locker , of the two I'd take Stones all day long but leaving out Dunk for Mings is simply illogical and plain daft .

The news that White will be included is fantastic for him and the club but White's inclusion actually makes sense considering his ability to play pretty much anywhere on the park .

I'm sure Dunky will be over the moon at White's inclusion in the squad , even at his own expense, but if and it probably looks like it will mean Dunk misses out I think he will be devastated and rightly so , he has been superb and to my mind deserves to start at the Euros , I think the pull back sending off v Wolves will be the main reason he's not selected ,this made the news , not the other 37 games he's been outstanding this season .

It must be hard to take for Dunk as he can't possibly do anymore than he has to make the squad , there's not a single team in the EPL that wouldn't want him on thier books I would imagine , luckily for us he's Brighton through and through , hopefully he gets over the disappointment quickly if not selected and we have the pleasure of seeing one of the best CBs in the country playing his heart out again for Brighton and Hove Albion next season .

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Absolutely this, craziness in the extreme to pick White, yet leave Lewis Dunk at home.

Not really. There's every chance that White will be a serious contender for the World Cup Squad in 2022 and maybe getting him some International experience this time will help him and the squad for next year? It's not the worst idea in the world to involve younger players you're expecting will play a bigger role in future. Other countries do it, and we shouldn't think only about this one tournament but the next and the following. I think White has more potential to improve than Dunk or Webster, but I absolutely would take Dunk in this squad as well as White because today Dunk is one of the best English CBs.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not really. There's every chance that White will be a serious contender for the World Cup Squad in 2022 and maybe getting him some International experience this time will help him and the squad for next year? It's not the worst idea in the world to involve younger players you're expecting will play a bigger role in future. Other countries do it, and we shouldn't think only about this one tournament but the next and the following. I think White has more potential to improve than Dunk or Webster, but I absolutely would take Dunk in this squad as well as White because today Dunk is one of the best English CBs.

I wonder whether a fit Lamptey might also have made the squad.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I don't. Southgate's mates Walker and Trippier are both fit and National Champions, so they're guaranteed plus his other mate Reece James. There's no place for Trent Alexander-Arnold and there wouldn't have been for Tariq Lamptey I'm sure.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure Dunky will be over the moon at White's inclusion in the squad , even at his own expense, but if and it probably looks like it will mean Dunk misses out I think he will be devastated and rightly so , he has been superb and to my mind deserves to start at the Euros , I think the pull back sending off v Wolves will be the main reason he's not selected ,this made the news , not the other 37 games he's been outstanding this season .

It's not just that though but I agree that it's Dunk's disciplinary record counts against him. He's the only PL player to pick up two red cards this season. In his entire career he has four times as many red cards as Maguire, Stones, Keane and Mings put together. No matter how well he plays for Brighton, you can certainly see why an England manager wouldn't pick him.

Lamptey has no chance of making the squad. Apart from Trippier and Walker, there's James, TAA, Justin and AWB in the queue (Godfrey has also played RB). Southgate has also gone out of his way to praise Cash as someone he's looking at.

SAC

May 21, 2014
What a shame that this thread has been taken over by people slating Southgate for not picking Dunk rather than celebrating him possibly picking White. Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the little donkey, how are people going to react if the rumour isn't true?

If true, and he does get picked, it's a great achievement for White. This is what the thread should be about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here