Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal v F.C Barcelona.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Let's get some perspective here. After an hour the graphic flashed up that Barca - then leading 1-0 - had outpassed Arsenal something like 410-220. What happened was simply Barca lost momentum in the desire to run rings round Arsenal with short passes. I've never seen so many 4 yards passes in a match in my life.

Credit to Arsenal for keeping going and taking their second half chances with aplomb. But let's be under no illusions - there wasn't much there to worry Barca for the home leg. And statistically Barca's away form in the CL is pretty ordinary, as it's in the Camp Nou they tend to murder sides.

Spot on. Barca saw how easily they could outplay Arsenal after the first half, and sat back. Arsenal did well to come back and played well, but anyone that thinks Barca were unhappy with tonight's final result is a bit deluded. Messi doesn't often miss the chances he had when he plays at home.

There really isn't any cause for concern by Barca fans and they know it

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
shame thier fans only know one song.:wanker:

I assume the wanker sign means you are actually being serious and not referring to their mildly amusing dig at people that assume your theory (We've only got one Song.....in relation to the pint of Guinness that was lucky to stay on the park last night). If so you are very wide of the mark. I assume you also humorously refer to The Emirates as The Library? Well trust me the place was rocking last night.

What a team Barca are, the way they passed the ball about in the first half was simply jaw dropping. Fair play to Arsenal though, they rode their luck at times but deserved something out of the game in the end. Set up nicely for the second leg although I still think Barca have the upper hand.

Going to be back to earth with a bump on Saturday. From that to Stoke, what a contrast! Oh well at least we might try and play some neat football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My thoughts:

1. Wilshere's passing was excellent - he passed the test.
2. Walcott disappointing - 2 great opportunities, 2 shocking final balls. Commentators / pundits cream themselves over his pace when his crossing is shockingly poor.
3. We'll never see Messi miss so many chances in one match again.
4. Barca will win at the Camp Nou and go through. Guardiola will put a rocket up them.
Saved me the bother.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pretty sure Barca will win but well done Arse for the 2nd half.

Never seen a football team as good as Barca - bit like the Spanish national team. Unreal football in the first half and Arsenal's defence was too high and WAY too static - could've been 3-0 Barca at HT.

And there's the rub. It COULD'VE been 3-0 Barca at half time, but it wasn't. Pretty pretty football, passing a side off the pitch and keeping 60% posession is all well and good, but it means precisely f*** all if the other team score more goals.

Not saying Barca aren't great, but last night they did excatly what I've been accusing Arsenal of doing all season - playing pretty football and outclassing opposition but without any substance - namely goals.

Fortunately, the Gus Flairniacs do both :laugh:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on. Barca saw how easily they could outplay Arsenal after the first half, and sat back. Arsenal did well to come back and played well, but anyone that thinks Barca were unhappy with tonight's final result is a bit deluded. Messi doesn't often miss the chances he had when he plays at home.

There really isn't any cause for concern by Barca fans and they know it

Barca certainly didn't "sit back" in that game by any stretch of the imagination. They were still committing players forward throughout the 2nd half and swarming around the edge of Arsenals penalty area. Arsenals winner came from a break where Nasri was put away into ACRES of room down the right, so I can't see how you can say Barca sat back. Arsenal rode their luck at times and they still have it all to do if they're to survive the 2nd leg, but they deserve massive credit for turning that scoreline round last night, and I wouldn't totally write off their chances in the return.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think he means "took their foot off the gas". At least, that's my reading of it.

I honestly believe that they were almost taking the piss with some of their short passing. Is this the first sign of Barca players starting to believe their own publicity? I'm looking forward to the 2nd leg because we'll be watching Barcelona The Wounded Animal / Cornered Tiger. This is one match you don't want to be missing the first 10 minutes of.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Barca certainly didn't "sit back" in that game by any stretch of the imagination. They were still committing players forward throughout the 2nd half and swarming around the edge of Arsenals penalty area. Arsenals winner came from a break where Nasri was put away into ACRES of room down the right, so I can't see how you can say Barca sat back. Arsenal rode their luck at times and they still have it all to do if they're to survive the 2nd leg, but they deserve massive credit for turning that scoreline round last night, and I wouldn't totally write off their chances in the return.

Disagree I'm afraid. Villa off and Keita on? Pep knows he has the beating of this Arsenal team and as such they didn't go up any gears like they could/should have. Sat back is probably the wrong phrase as Barca don't really know the meaning of sitting back, but definitely lowered the gear. Not taking anything away from Arsenal as they did well to come back but to see Van Persie flapping his arms around like they'd won the final at the end of the match was rather odd.

I would be very shocked if Barca didn't win the second leg by at least 2 goals

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think he means "took their foot off the gas". At least, that's my reading of it.

I honestly believe that they were almost taking the piss with some of their short passing. Is this the first sign of Barca players starting to believe their own publicity? I'm looking forward to the 2nd leg because we'll be watching Barcelona The Wounded Animal / Cornered Tiger. This is one match you don't want to be missing the first 10 minutes of.

Isn't it the night of the Brentford Albion match!? If so, then yes, yes I do want to miss it as I'll be a Griffin Park. Will Sky + it though.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
And there's the rub. It COULD'VE been 3-0 Barca at half time, but it wasn't. Pretty pretty football, passing a side off the pitch and keeping 60% posession is all well and good, but it means precisely f*** all if the other team score more goals.

Not saying Barca aren't great, but last night they did excatly what I've been accusing Arsenal of doing all season - playing pretty football and outclassing opposition but without any substance - namely goals.

Fortunately, the Gus Flairniacs do both :laugh:

This is the correct post. I cant understand why everyone is creaming themselves over barca making 400 odd passes in an hour. How many were made between defence and midfield?? Fair enough if the other team doesn't have the ball they can't score, but this wasn't the case last night. Arsenal had plenty of the ball, could have scored themselves on another day in the first half, and made the important passes when it mattered most. I would sooner see my team make 3 or 4 crucial match winning passes than a thousand in one game.

I think they are there for the taking, will be interesting to see how they respond if after an hour at home they aren't winning.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3971508 said:
Makes England (you know, our country) look a lot better when they do.

Cos the poxy national team don't help much on that front.

Very true. However Its nice when these English based teams actually have English players or those eligible to play for England. Because maybe, just maybe it may rub off and carry itself to the national team - you know playing against top quality opposition in Europe and also WINNING.

All the while teams *like* Arsenal had no English players I really couldnt give a toss how well they did or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here