Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal being linked with Simon Adingra

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree you need subs but I just don’t see how we will be able to keep everyone happy. We had a crazy number of injuries and it was a freak situation.

But every club had a crazy number of injuries last season.

Since then we have added Gruda, Rutter and Minteh plus of course have Sarmiento back.

Sarmiento isn't as good as Adingra at this point. Gruda will take time to get up to speed, he's young and never played at this level, while Adingra has a season of PL under his belt and has won the African cup. Adingra can also play on both wings, which is really useful.

I know we can’t assume no injuries but if we don’t get many then it will be tricky to keep everyone happy.

Easy to play 4 wingers per game.

Don't sell to the top 6 unless the fee is eye watering.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bloom has gone to a lot of trouble and expense this summer to build a squad capable of challenging for Europe again. I can't believe he'd suddenly sell an important part of that unless the fee was stupid high. Adingra is only 22, is proven in the PL and in his national team. We won't ever compete with the top 8 clubs if we just sell them our players as soon as we start to look good.
In which case it's down to opinion on what counts as 'stupid high'. IMHO, £65M for Adingra would come into the 'stupid high' category, plus for PSR purposes that would represent a clear profit of almost £60M (I know we're not in PSR trouble at the moment, but like every other club that spends money buying players, we have to keep it in mind).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Sarmiento isn't as good as Adingra at this point. Gruda will take time to get up to speed, he's young and never played at this level, while Adingra has a season of PL under his belt and has won the African cup. Adingra can also play on both wings, which is really useful.

Yes. I'm not getting rid of Adingra just to keep Sarmiento happy.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Squad rotation shouldn't be seen as bad thing to keep players happy (although that is important). It should
be seen as a way of putting out the freshest and best team every week, something we can maybe all agree
on was our downfall last season through injuries.
Yep. THIS!

Mitoma playing every second of every game was always going to end badly.

The idea of have him playing a maximum of 70 minutes for every game, only to be replaced by Adingra or one of Sarmiento/Enciso is an enticing prospect.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
If a good offer was made, I could see them cashing in.

He's a very good player. But Minteh, Gruda and March can all play at RW.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

All of This.

The richest clubs are all hamstrung by PSR this season, causing the market to be significantly depressed.
Next season the rules change and they will all be competing on a level playing field again.

Funny that Tony has spent this season stock-piling a load of talented youngsters this season, isn't it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also with the amount of running our forward players are going to be expected to do when we play the high press the chances of anyone being ever present and not needing to be rotated out to give them a break from time to time is low.

Exactly. Although I'd swap 'low' for 'zero'.

As you say, our wingers need to work their socks off. Attack at pace, press when we lose the ball, and run back to help the fullbacks when we lose the ball.

It's true the we don't want a squad so big that our young talent can't get game time, but I'd say the one place where we want a surplus of players is on the wings.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In which case it's down to opinion on what counts as 'stupid high'. IMHO, £65M for Adingra would come into the 'stupid high' category, plus for PSR purposes that would represent a clear profit of almost £60M (I know we're not in PSR trouble at the moment, but like every other club that spends money buying players, we have to keep it in mind).
I don't think we do.
Next season the rules change., which is why Tony is spending all the PSR benefit accrued from the past 3 seasons now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If a good offer was made, I could see them cashing in.

He's a very good player. But Minteh, Gruda and March can all play at RW.

When March returns is he going to be as fit and fast as before (genuine question)?

Adingra can play on the left, the players you mention are best on the right. Mitoma and Adingra as our two left wingers for the season sounds good to me.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
When March returns is he going to be as fit and fast as before (genuine question)?

Adingra can play on the left, the players you mention are best on the right. Mitoma and Adingra as our two left wingers for the season sounds good to me.
Who knows. It could take a few weeks for him to find sharpness.

The squad is very top heavy. It's going to be difficult to keep everyone happy. Especially with no Europe. A deep cup run would help.

Mitoma/J.Pedro/Enciso/Sarmiento can play LW.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes. I'm not getting rid of Adingra just to keep Sarmiento happy.
In one sentence you've identified the nub of the matter. I like Sarmiento and hope he stays to compete for a place (which will be on the bench or in the League Cup). But we are potentially competing at a whole different level from one on which a player who rarely started on loan at Ipswich can see himself as a potential starter.

With the high press that Hurzeler is emphasising, we will need to make substitutions around the hour mark, and a willing runner like Sarmiento should be very happy if he's allowed to play that role from time to time. But I'd rather have an AFCON young player of the tournament and MOM in the final available.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The squad is very top heavy. It's going to be difficult to keep everyone happy. Especially with no Europe. A deep cup run would help.

We desperately need cup runs. But we still need some players going out.

Mitoma/J.Pedro/Enciso/Sarmiento can play LW.

Pedro and Enciso can, but I think both are better used behind the striker. If the manager prefers them as wingers, then fair enough. As the squad stands, I think Sarmiento needs to go on load again. Adingra and Mitoma taking turns on the left.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We desperately need cup runs. But we still need some players going out.

Pedro and Enciso can, but I think both are better used behind the striker. If the manager prefers them as wingers, then fair enough. As the squad stands, I think Sarmiento needs to go on load again. Adingra and Mitoma taking turns on the left.
I suspect the front 4 will be expected to be quite fluid in the positions they take up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I can see MArch going back to his utility role.
Likely to get as many minutes at LWB as anywhere else.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Chances are we'll get a big bid for Mitoma (and possibly João Pedro) next Summer. That will help offset this Summer's spend, and we'd already have their replacements - Adingra (and Rutter) bedded in.
spot on. Mitoma and Joao Pedro are two players that will go, in my opinion. We’ll have replacements already by that stage. ( will be hard to replace their quality)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Whilst I realise transfer rumours are sometimes be based on truth, the fact that it's suggested Barber asked negotiations at a specific figure made my bullshit sensor overheat.

You've made it sound a lot better, but it's still not how we (or probably anyone else) operate. Adingra is part of our plans. Of course there can come a time when we have to sell a player, but if we want to keep him I don't think Barber would want to give another club an idea of the amount needed. Arsenal made a reasonable bid for Caicedo, but we ended up selling him for about £45m more. Doing that becomes difficult if you just hand out a guide price to anyone interested. All IMO.
No I didn't think we hand out guide prices but the club have long acknowledge that every player has their price.
I don't expect Barber to know that price, but he would have an inkling of what an offer would need to be for the club to actually bother to work out that price.
In my hypothetical scenario should Mr Arse have said yes we'll pay £66million then Barber would waste Tony and a few boffins time to come up with a number which could be significantly north of that.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As I understand it, the PSR is rolling year on year, over a 3 year period. So although we made an absolute fortune these past two years, the benefit doesnt last , so next year we lose the benifit of players sold 2 seasons ago. Having another 60 million profit this season gives us more buying power in a couple of years time. So you are quite right about having to keep an eye of PSR EVERY season, regardless of previous sales.
Its also why (IMO) we are buying big this year, so that the sales from 2 seasons ago offset any future PSR worries. Had we left it till next season, or beyond we would start to miss out on Chelseas £200 million benefiting us for PSR purposes

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here