Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal being linked with Simon Adingra

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No I didn't think we hand out guide prices but the club have long acknowledge that every player has their price.
I don't expect Barber to know that price, but he would have an inkling of what an offer would need to be for the club to actually bother to work out that price.
In my hypothetical scenario should Mr Arse have said yes we'll pay £66million then Barber would waste Tony and a few boffins time to come up with a number which could be significantly north of that.

I just can't imagine Barber would give a price in the first place. If Arsenal made an offer and it wasn't enough to bother Tony, Barber would just reply with 'No'. Arsenal wouldn't find out whether Barber had bothered Tony or not.

If Barber did say to a club 'start negotiating at £xm', then I think that would limit the final price we could achieve. It would show the other club that Barber (a significant person in negotiations) thinks that price is reasonable and close to what we'd accept. The other club could then talk to the agent and tell them they're close to agreeing a deal, so the player/agent would put pressure on us to let them go, and the buying club would know they don't need to offer much more to get their man.

Instead, say nothing, and they don't know where they are. Then if they do make an offer that Barber and Tony thinks is worth considering, or close to what we would accept, they can let the buying club know we'll think about it. We then enter the same situation as above, but at a higher figure than if we'd said a figure in the first place.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I just can't imagine Barber would give a price in the first place. If Arsenal made an offer and it wasn't enough to bother Tony, Barber would just reply with 'No'. Arsenal wouldn't find out whether Barber had bothered Tony or not.

If Barber did say to a club 'start negotiating at £xm', then I think that would limit the final price we could achieve. It would show the other club that Barber (a significant person in negotiations) thinks that price is reasonable and close to what we'd accept. The other club could then talk to the agent and tell them they're close to agreeing a deal, so the player/agent would put pressure on us to let them go, and the buying club would know they don't need to offer much more to get their man.

Instead, say nothing, and they don't know where they are. Then if they do make an offer that Barber and Tony thinks is worth considering, or close to what we would accept, they can let the buying club know we'll think about it. We then enter the same situation as above, but at a higher figure than if we'd said a figure in the first place.
Didn't Arsenal say something along the lines of "The White deal was the hardest we ever had to negotiate, because we had no idea of the amount Brighton wanted. We had to keep going back and they just said No"

I dont think we publically give prices we accept- just let them come back until they reach it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't Arsenal say something along the lines of "The White deal was the hardest we ever had to negotiate, because we had no idea of the amount Brighton wanted. We had to keep going back and they just said No"

That rings a bell although I'd be surprised if Arsenal released that, because it's like telling other clubs how to do it. But when selling someone we don't want to sell, I don't see why we'd give a price, or say when they're close, unless they're really close and we've decided we do want to sell at a certain price.

I dont think we publically give prices we accept- just let them come back until they reach it
That's what I imagine. The 'Barber wanted negotiations to start at £65m' just sounded like complete BS. I can't imagine him ever saying something like that.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

And to add to that, it was reported that they made Bloom & Barber angry with the low bid for Caicedo and unsettling him in the January '23 window, and it was reported that we'd "lost respect for Arsenal" 😂

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As I understand it, the PSR is rolling year on year, over a 3 year period. So although we made an absolute fortune these past two years, the benefit doesnt last , so next year we lose the benifit of players sold 2 seasons ago. Having another 60 million profit this season gives us more buying power in a couple of years time. So you are quite right about having to keep an eye of PSR EVERY season, regardless of previous sales.
Its also why (IMO) we are buying big this year, so that the sales from 2 seasons ago offset any future PSR worries. Had we left it till next season, or beyond we would start to miss out on Chelseas £200 million benefiting us for PSR purposes
Psr changes next season. Allowable spend will be a percentage of revenue, I don't know what happens with profits carried forward from past years in this calculation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And to add to that, it was reported that they made Bloom & Barber angry with the low bid for Caicedo and unsettling him in the January '23 window, and it was reported that we'd "lost respect for Arsenal" 😂
They tried the Man City approach of chatting the player up and promising him fat wages, and then making a low ball offer, hoping the player kicks up a fuss, which he did,and forces the move, which he didn't, biut he did get a pay rise.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A watching brief eh?

The euphemisms just keep on coming in the transfer grifting game.

They can basically list evert under 25 half decent player in the world and say Brighton are keeping a watching brief on them

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Psr changes next season. Allowable spend will be a percentage of revenue, I don't know what happens with profits carried forward from past years in this calculation.
As I read it, previous year's profits are irrelevant (hence the spending spree this summer).

Clubs will be able to spend 85% of their revenue on Amortisations of player purchaases/wages and Agents fees.

This gets a bit difficult for clubs like us, who might bring in £150m in fees one season and nothing the next.
Presumably we would need defer releasing the profit to the balance sheet to align with the amortisation of the costs of any incoming players.

Personally I think the new rules are a bit of a mess.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As discussed a fair bit over recent weeks, I'd guess that our plan is to have our wingers give everything for the first 60/70 minutes, and then swap them for fresh ones. Having 5 subs available makes that possible, and would make it very hard for the opponents. If we do that, Adingra would get to play every game he's fit for.

This. I think there's a fundamental change in the way we (at least) play the game where 4-5 subs coming on is absolutely normal and part of the match day plans.

Who comes on, when, for who etc... is all dependent on how we're doing in that game, but it means we HAVE to have 'game changers' on the bench and Adringa is one of those.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here