Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Arry Redknapp to Chelsea?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
but they made a £20mil profit on lassana diarra didnt they????

So making £20M on one player and winning an FA Cup is ok enough for you if Gus did that for Brighton and in doing so he led the club to the brink of financial ruin (i.e administration bordering on liquidation) while doing it and then p155ed off?

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
So making £20M on one player and winning an FA Cup is ok enough for you if Gus did that for Brighton and in doing so he led the club to the brink of financial ruin (i.e administration bordering on liquidation) while doing it and then p155ed off?

i apologise, i was just on a wind-up!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Heard he was at Stamford Bridge yesterday..

Hope so!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I heard this the other day, but dismissed it. The same "source" said that QPR have approached Carlo Ancelotti.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I heard this the other day, but dismissed it. The same "source" said that QPR have approached Carlo Ancelotti.

That could be more realistic. CA wants to stay in the UK, he'd be in the prem, and with the money of Flavio, Bernie and Mittel put together, he'd have about as much to spend as Mancini.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He's become the bookies favourites after a rush of bets on him overnight, to the point that some bookies have stopped taking bets.

If he does go, will Spurs look to the south coast for their next manager? A certain Uruguayan? :nono:

FFS. What is wrong with our fans? Anyone who thinks any top 6 prem club is going to take a chance on a manager who has never won a game above div 1 is a thickard.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's a manager made by his own hype. Overspent wildly at Pompey and relegated Southampton. Then got Spurs to the Champions League on the back of big investment (I'll give him that as well as their performance in this years Champions League)

Somehow he escapes criticism for:

- not recruiting a proper 'keeper and persisting with the calamitous Gomes;
- having 3 strikers who cannot score despite alienating and selling Darren Bent (the second highest english scorer in the Prem behind Rooney over the last 5 years);
- relying on a defence that is persistently injured (Gallas, King and Woodgate) and not investing properly in replacements;
- repeatedly tapping up opposition clubs players in his column in the Sun.

Its ok though, he's english and is also a nice chap (unless you refer to him as a wheeler-dealer - a reputation he's bigged up over the years).

All in all? Not a fan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't trust Harry for a minute, he'll do what's right for Harry, but I don't see how it's ever a managers fault when a team goes into administration. It's a manager's job to ask the chairman for millions, and the chairman's job to only give what he can afford.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That could be more realistic. CA wants to stay in the UK, he'd be in the prem, and with the money of Flavio, Bernie and Mittel put together, he'd have about as much to spend as Mancini.

Indeed. And the other thing that has happened since I was told this, is Neil Warnocks biggest supporter in the boardroom has quit. Flavio is always trying to increase the Italian influence at Loftus Road, and since he and Bernie rejected the recent offer from Mittal to buy the club 100%, it would seem Flavio's interest and influence is as strong as ever.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
So Chelsea would let H wheel and deal in the transfer market with the russian's money. Before long the club would be back tothe days of the white beard's reign. Now that's not a bad outcome.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
t I don't see how it's ever a managers fault when a team goes into administration. It's a manager's job to ask the chairman for millions, and the chairman's job to only give what he can afford.

Was about to post exactly the same. The manager does not control the purse strings at any club. Say what you like about 'appy 'arry, but Pompey's financial meltdown can not be pinned on his door.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Was about to post exactly the same. The manager does not control the purse strings at any club. Say what you like about 'appy 'arry, but Pompey's financial meltdown can not be pinned on his door.

Let us say a hypothetical manager X operates a policy of buying and selling players continuously as it is in his personal interest (sell on fees etc) to do so. What if this continuos rotation of players leads to a degradation in performance of the side on the pitch which ultimately leads to a decline in the resell value of the individual players still at the club due to their slide down the league and ultimately to relegation. This leads to an ever worsening financial position which ultimately leads to administration. Is the manager and his policy not blameless.

I do concur though that the board are dumb as well for allowing the manager to do this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If there's any truth in this, Redknapp will now

-issue a statement saying it's all ridiculous, he loves Spurs and wants to take them to another level

-snap at the press for daring to suggest he might be a bit flighty when it suits him

-leak it to the media hinting that Spurs might not be as "ambitious" as he is and that the board aren't supporting his proposed transfer dealings

-mention that Spurs were second bottom when he joined and include at least two uses of the word "miracle"

-issue another statement saying that these rumours are all lies, and entirely down to the media. But that he's always respected Chelsea

-quit Spurs under a cloud, saying it's for personal reasons and he's had enough of football

-be appointed Chelsea manager four hours later, claiming he had no idea it was on the agenda but he was made an offer he couldn't refuse and it'll be his last job in football

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about the likes of Benitez who get themselves control of transfer policies? What about chairmen who recognise they are not the football expert that the manager is and they trust their manager when they say player X is worth the money, and painting them as more likely to get a return on the investment than is true? A chairman will take his lead from the manager, especially those with more history in the game and/or those who have delivered success, like Redknapp.

Don't forget pressure from fans. If Pompy said no to Redknapp's transfer requests and he skips off telling everyone he wasn't supported financially by the board, and pompy go down because they were living within their means, the fans would slaughter the board for not splashing the cash. Or when new owners come in to any club the question isn't "do they have a sensible fiscal plan to ensure the long term survival of the club" it's "how much will they put in the transfer kitty?"

While I don't think managers should get the sole blame, they should get a portion of it, as should fans and the culture we have of demanding money be spent, and so should the chairmen who put popularity ahead of the club's best interest, or who are too naive/trusting of managers (especially those who's previous clubs have had financial troubles after he left).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
doesnt matter how you spin it, at the end of the day te Chairman is responsible to financial side of the club. if the manager keeps wanting more money (and which ones dont?) they have to say no if theres no more money or the return looks unlikly. if they only take their managers advise, they are negligent. just like a normal company chairman and board would be responsible for funding the CEO's ideas. (well, unless your a bank).

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Its interesting how Hodgson is seen as a failure at Liverpool -I personally believe he had no chance of succeeding there. He is clearly a class manager and his record speaks for itself....but timing is a critical thing when managers take on jobs - especialyl the high profile ones. He had little support, players bought by a previous regime who were mud and a board in turmoil and a fan base who edmand Champions League Football with a threadbare squad(when it comes to class) who were palpably out of their depth in the Europa league.

Torres wanted off, Gerrard was unfit and the board could not afford to give Hodgson what he wanted - and as soon as 'King kenny' started lurking Hodgeson was doing his Susan Sarandon impression - a dead man walking.

Although I do think Redknapp is nasty, dirty, spivvy conman who should not be allowed to be in charge of a team on The Apprentice let alone a professional football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here