Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Armchair view v Hammers

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Brighton manager Gus Poyet:
"It was one mistake. We played the kind of football that if you make a mistake it will be expensive.
"But I'm proud and Brighton is back to its best, playing against a Premiership team and not letting them touch the ball for I don't know how long.
"It was one-way traffic. The whole game was the same, someone wants to play and go forward and someone wants to defend but unfortunately it didn't work with the result. Gary Dicker has an ankle problem but we will know more tomorrow."

Taken from the BBC

Now, this is the first live game I have seen Brighton play on the tellybox this season. When I am there, not far from the tv view actually, I am carried away by passion, atmosphere and singing. Today it was easier to be critical and praiseworthy about our performance from afar. I have to say I absolutely 100% disagree with Gus. From my position in a chair in a pub, being the only one watching it in north London for obvious reasons (Championship, East end v Sussex, not even top of the table, if you didn't understand), I have some thoughts of my own.

The most glaring thought I have is that our central midfield is excruciatingly weak. Nooney was the star he will be one day in the Prem and I forgive Bridcutt an uncharacteristic mistake. But we have been found out now, since Palace and maybe a little earlier. Pressure us on the ball and we fall to pieces. I don't even have a bad word to say about our back four (remember this is on tonight's performance). Our central midfield gets packed out, we don't have strength and we lose possession. Once we lose it the defence is under pressure, and to be fair I understand now why Greer is on three yellows and Dunk has served a suspension. They have nowhere to go. They have to constantly take one for the team. From my position as armchair pundit tonight, I think we seriously need to look at the midfield and our constant loss of possession by them in dangerous situations, exemplified by the West Ham goal. I will also question what we have as a front pair, as I remember just one glaring moment when a ball was perfectly flicked on by Macka I think to.... no-one, no-one was pairing up. All good teams defend from the front to the back and quite frankly I can't see our shape in central midfield, and when I do see it I see us being out-muscled literally every time, if we aren't giving the ball away yet again under pressure.

Please don't get me wrong I have been as vociferous as many about supporting Gus to get us to be this dream team and I will still shout it from the roof tops. But from my first armchair game I have seen a complete shambles through the middle of the park that leaves our defence bare and them taking all the yellow cards for said midfield. I'm not campaigning for anything, I am not complaining, I am just telling it as I saw it.

We were not playing a premiership team and it was not one way traffic as Gus would like to tell us... our 62% traffic could be tempered by the 4 on target to their 3. Our possession tends to come from the 30% we pass it around the back whilst other teams sit around and wait, and when they pressure us unexpectedly as was the case tonight they score.

I'm sure it will get better but I didn't see a team for me to have a lot to be confident about. We had no spine through the middle. And if we cannot command that middle patch of the island we are going to lose more than we win.

Still... onwards and upwards! I still believe.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh yeah and let me say too, I was a little embarrassed when Sky were showing the droves packing up and leaving with 10 minutes to go.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You seriously think we would have a competitive central midfield with that pairing? Hey I am not criticising fella but I cannot disagree more. We need more 'beef' in the midfield.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
You seriously think we would have a competitive central midfield with that pairing? Hey I am not criticising fella but I cannot disagree more. We need more 'beef' in the midfield.

Long term yes. Mackail-Smith needs a partner up-front, with Vicente, Noone and Buckley all in a midfield it would give us the creativity and flair. Bridcutt, Greer and Dunk/El-Abd can be the beef.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were talking about this tonight at the match. We need a central midfielder who can pick the game up by the scruff of the neck. A Brian Horton type character.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I won't tell Gus how he should play his team because he is far better than me at doing it! But everyone bangs on about needing a holding striker when we don't play to the strengths of a holding striker. At this moment in time I am thinking 4-4-1-1 with Vicente having an out and out striking role but with a license to roam. I don't know if it would work, I'm not an expert, but by doing that you can put two stoppers in central midfield and I know that sounds negative and defensive. But let's face it we don't have a central midfield defence splitter, we just seem to have namby pamby ball possession losers right now... this is a huge education after last season's walk in the park.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Poyet from the argus:

Gus Poyet insisted he was to blame for Albion's 1-0 home defeat to West Ham.

Kevin Nolan fired home to secure a smash-and-grab win for the well-organised Hammers, who gave keeper Manuel Almunia great protection as Albion enjoyed copious amounts of possession and territory in the second period.

Nolan robbed Liam Bridcutt before hitting the winner but boss Poyet said: "We lost because of me.

"Don't blame any player. Blame me because I set up the way we play and I tell them to do what they do.

“One day it could be a defender, one day it could be the goalkeeper, one day it could be a midfielder. but it is my decision, not theirs.

“Slowly we are going to get better. If not, we are going to get better players."

Albion lost Gary Dicker with an ankle injury in the second half and expect a clearer indication tomorrow as to how badly the midfielder is hurt.

Poyet said: “We don't know yet. It was that kind of bad twist that we need to wait and check and get X-rays."

By the sounds of it we will have alot of players come in and quiet a few leave over the next 12 months

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Brighton manager Gus Poyet:
"It was one mistake. We played the kind of football that if you make a mistake it will be expensive.
"But I'm proud and Brighton is back to its best, playing against a Premiership team and not letting them touch the ball for I don't know how long.
"It was one-way traffic. The whole game was the same, someone wants to play and go forward and someone wants to defend but unfortunately it didn't work with the result. Gary Dicker has an ankle problem but we will know more tomorrow."

Taken from the BBC

Now, this is the first live game I have seen Brighton play on the tellybox this season. When I am there, not far from the tv view actually, I am carried away by passion, atmosphere and singing. Today it was easier to be critical and praiseworthy about our performance from afar. I have to say I absolutely 100% disagree with Gus. From my position in a chair in a pub, being the only one watching it in north London for obvious reasons (Championship, East end v Sussex, not even top of the table, if you didn't understand), I have some thoughts of my own.

The most glaring thought I have is that our central midfield is excruciatingly weak. Nooney was the star he will be one day in the Prem and I forgive Bridcutt an uncharacteristic mistake. But we have been found out now, since Palace and maybe a little earlier. Pressure us on the ball and we fall to pieces. I don't even have a bad word to say about our back four (remember this is on tonight's performance). Our central midfield gets packed out, we don't have strength and we lose possession. Once we lose it the defence is under pressure, and to be fair I understand now why Greer is on three yellows and Dunk has served a suspension. They have nowhere to go. They have to constantly take one for the team. From my position as armchair pundit tonight, I think we seriously need to look at the midfield and our constant loss of possession by them in dangerous situations, exemplified by the West Ham goal. I will also question what we have as a front pair, as I remember just one glaring moment when a ball was perfectly flicked on by Macka I think to.... no-one, no-one was pairing up. All good teams defend from the front to the back and quite frankly I can't see our shape in central midfield, and when I do see it I see us being out-muscled literally every time, if we aren't giving the ball away yet again under pressure.

Please don't get me wrong I have been as vociferous as many about supporting Gus to get us to be this dream team and I will still shout it from the roof tops. But from my first armchair game I have seen a complete shambles through the middle of the park that leaves our defence bare and them taking all the yellow cards for said midfield. I'm not campaigning for anything, I am not complaining, I am just telling it as I saw it.

We were not playing a premiership team and it was not one way traffic as Gus would like to tell us... our 62% traffic could be tempered by the 4 on target to their 3. Our possession tends to come from the 30% we pass it around the back whilst other teams sit around and wait, and when they pressure us unexpectedly as was the case tonight they score.

I'm sure it will get better but I didn't see a team for me to have a lot to be confident about. We had no spine through the middle. And if we cannot command that middle patch of the island we are going to lose more than we win.

Still... onwards and upwards! I still believe.

this

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think we'll need at least two Barnham, so yeah he wants to buy his position in the league. I see that as a bit of a frailty and flaw in his managerial ability. Don't get me wrong he is still the best in the business in my eyes but sometimes his comments make me cringe. He blames himself and not the players yet says he'll get reinforcements for his own mistakes. He has a lot to learn as a young manager, the first is to talk sense to the media. But I trust him to get it right, because next season we will probably win the league by 25 points!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dont worry poyet i do BLAME you. Countless times the opp have passed with purpose and speed while we have FANNIED about and its costing us. Not happy. NOT happy at all.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dont worry poyet i do BLAME you. Countless times the opp have passed with purpose and speed while we have FANNIED about and its costing us. Not happy. NOT happy at all.

I'm not going down that road, just saying it as I saw it on the tellybox.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I think we'll need at least two Barnham, so yeah he wants to buy his position in the league. I see that as a bit of a frailty and flaw in his managerial ability. Don't get me wrong he is still the best in the business in my eyes but sometimes his comments make me cringe. He blames himself and not the players yet says he'll get reinforcements for his own mistakes. He has a lot to learn as a young manager, the first is to talk sense to the media. But I trust him to get it right, because next season we will probably win the league by 25 points!

Agreed, we will be strong next season as Bloom is backing him all the way.

It's just a shame we will lose a few games this season which we could easily get a result in if he just changed the style slightly for some of the opposition.

Not sure saying he will change players is a great motivational tool to the current squad ether.

In Gus we trust thow

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Agreed, we will be strong next season as Bloom is backing him all the way.

It's just a shame we will lose a few games this season which we could easily get a result in if hew just changed the style slightly for some of the opposition.

Not sure saying he will change players is a great motivational tool to the current squad ether.

In Gus we trust thow

Trust him all the way mate, but I think even the most ardent of fans of any club will be wondering what is going on. I'm sure Calde is thinking I'm out of here and Casper is thinking he has no confidence in me. Sadly pro football at this level is brutal. But we should be looking at packing the centre of the park with players that are strong and skilful, and we don't have one. For all the criticism of the defence I don't actually see a weak point, they just react to the loss of possession and lack of back up when something breaks down, and it is breaking down far to often in the Championship. Only Bridcutt ever seems to be there, which is obviously his job but he can't cover every inch of the pitch. If, in my limited ability, I am thinking that, I am sure our man Gus is on the ball too.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Poyet from the argus:

Gus Poyet insisted he was to blame for Albion's 1-0 home defeat to West Ham.

Nolan robbed Liam Bridcutt before hitting the winner but boss Poyet said: "We lost because of me.

"Don't blame any player. Blame me because I set up the way we play and I tell them to do what they do.

“One day it could be a defender, one day it could be the goalkeeper, one day it could be a midfielder. but it is my decision, not theirs.

“Slowly we are going to get better. If not, we are going to get better players.

Gus. A legend.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Trust him all the way mate, but I think even the most ardent of fans of any club will be wondering what is going on. I'm sure Calde is thinking I'm out of here and Casper is thinking he has no confidence in me. Sadly pro football at this level is brutal. But we should be looking at packing the centre of the park with players that are strong and skilful, and we don't have one. For all the criticism of the defence I don't actually see a weak point, they just react to the loss of possession and lack of back up when something breaks down, and it is breaking down far to often in the Championship. Only Bridcutt ever seems to be there, which is obviously his job but he can't cover every inch of the pitch. If, in my limited ability, I am thinking that, I am sure our man Gus is on the ball too.

Bridcott see's so much of the ball it's only natural that he will be caught from time to time. Playing on that big pitch leaves big gaps and when he gets caught it leaves us exposed. Dicker has also been caught in these positions as well.

Have to say this season I have been suprised by some of Gus's decisions. But Im sure all will come good and there are some exciting players on the way to us.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm backing Gus, the players, the backroom and the board 100%... this was my honest armchair view and I am sure the poor run will be negated by all concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here