Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Armchair view v Hammers

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Poyet from the argus:
“Slowly we are going to get better. If not, we are going to get better players."

By the sounds of it we will have alot of players come in and quiet a few leave over the next 12 months

If this is what the Argus wrote I have to say I am pissed off with the misquote to the hand that feeds them ... what Gus actually said (apparently) was...

"Slowly we will get better, if it's in six months or two years. If not, we will get better players in. But we will keep playing like that. If you change and start kicking it long, you are wrong. You keep playing..."

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
Welcome to the championship this aint league one face it youve been found out every team in this division can deal with your tactics...your playing alot better teams now get used to it think vicente will do anything? doubt it specially as your fans as a whole seem to hate each other, your not a club together, you aint fit for the fight, you wont last.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Welcome to the championship this aint league one face it youve been found out every team in this division can deal with your tactics...your playing alot better teams now get used to it think vicente will do anything? doubt it specially as your fans as a whole seem to hate each other, your not a club together, you aint fit for the fight, you wont last.

Don't need you stirring the shit on every thread either........

Edit: He did sign out within a minute or so of me posting this, and he was watching the thread.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm beginning to lose a little confidence in Gus - 8 games without a win says something about his tactics, team selection and ability to read a game. We need to toughen up in midfield and get a big striker in to play with CMS or it's going to be a long, hard season with more of a focus on the bottom of the table than the top.

Come on Gus - you can do better than this.

Last edited:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I would agree that midfield looks rudderless. We're relying so much on Noone down the left with nothing attacking coming down the right side bar the right-back. Hopefully Buckley, when fully fit, will solve this.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ive been trying out Poyets tactics on FM 12 and although it seems to work really well in League 1 it seems to come unstuck in the Championship. I had almost exactly the same results as the Albion have... and the reason?

In league 1 because defences are not so quick and less fit they dont push up that much so there are spaces in the middle. This allows the Albion to play from the back slowly and surely. In the Champ, the defences are fitter and quicker. They can cut out the long ball over the head.. so they push up and clog the midfield which means there is less time and less space. Our tactic is slow and patient but in the Champ we dont get enough time for this. I had exactly the same phenomenon as Albion with most interceptions taking place between my penalty box and the halfway line. If we had players as good as Barca for the Champ then we could play like this.... but this is not Barca.

Sure we need midfield destroyers to open upo space in the middle who are fit but we laso need tos top dwadling ont he ball at the back. teher just isnt the space and time anymore.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The honeymoon period for Gus is definitely over now. Fans are now beginning to analyse his tactics and find flaws. But there again, so you could with every manager thats ever lived.
Don't forget we went 5 games without a win last season and had it not been for the bad weather, that run could have been longer. I predict we will be back to winning ways v Watford.
It was not difficult to predict that Soton would do better than us this season. They are a bigger, more powerful side, ideally suited to the Championship. We are pretty lightweight and it is putting us under more pressure at this level.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I was one of those that laughed at Claridge when he said we won't be able to play the same way in this division - perhaps he was right? Allardyce suggested in what I heard that they were quite happy for us to dominate possession,and simply wait for us to make mistakes.

I'm note sure what we should change but something has to and the only two things Gus can is players and/or tactics.

Good thread by OP and think it makes a load of sense. For me too much of our possession is in the back third and way too risky - more and more we're being forced into error

Our midfield is toothless - we need some energy and a bit of beef in there - someone who goes looking for the ball and can distribute it

Up front we need to decide what Barnes does, more likely get the hold up sort to give us some options

Not sure on our use of subs either ... often think we leave it too late to allow them to make an impact

As for tactics generally I can't deny I'm a bit bewildered ... we keep on doing the same thing yet it's not producing the desired result. Last night that Faubert character was on our touchline laughing at the fans ... kind of implying that they were under no pressure at all. I left the game thinking they were the worst team I'd seen all season, but maybe not?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Our midfield might be better if Gus stops insisting on pushing out Barnes to play on the wing. I know he likes to play 2 strikers but Barnes is useless out wide, even worse when we have Buckley fit on the bench.

Stumpy Tim

Reyes should be in midfield with Bridcutt, Noone and Buckley. CMS and Barnes or Hoskins upfront.

I can't believe this "Gus is costing us" TRIPE that some people are spouting. We're on a bad trot, but we're not playing badly, just haven't had the rub of the green.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
sort out the corners....we should be scoring more from set plays and last night we had how many corners?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Reyes should be in midfield with Bridcutt, Noone and Buckley. CMS and Barnes or Hoskins upfront.

I can't believe this "Gus is costing us" TRIPE that some people are spouting. We're on a bad trot, but we're not playing badly, just haven't had the rub of the green.

Almost this....

The line up I'd like to see is...

.................... Harper .................

Calderon ... Greer ... Dunk ... Painter

............ Reyes ..... Bridcutt ..........

Buckley ........ Vicente ......... Noone

..................... CMS ....................

Bench: Ankergren, Vincelot, Sparrow, Lua Lua, Hoskins/Barnes

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4471653 said:
Almost this....

Exactly what I think. Two holding midfielders with plenty of creativity down the flanks and Vicente going whether he thinks best.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4471653 said:
Almost this....

I like the look of that line-up, and the OP was spot on in highlighting the weak link in our team which is the centre of midfield, not a good night for Sparrow, Bridcutt and especially the injured Dicker. I'd like to see Buckley and Vicente in from the start and for both to stay fit for more than five minutes so we can put out an unchanged team. Sadly the injury (and performance) situation has meant that we change that midfield pretty much every week. This lack of continuity can't be helping us too much.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dont worry poyet i do BLAME you. Countless times the opp have passed with purpose and speed while we have FANNIED about and its costing us. Not happy. NOT happy at all.

You've said that about 20 times now, and you're still wrong.

Still, if you want to watch hoofball with no pride, West Ham seem perfectly pitched for your tastes. Or you can head for Blackpool beach. If, however, you want to exercise a modicum of patience, watch us improve and play football which others can't keep up with, watch this space in a few weeks and months' time.

Did you REALLY think we'd get it right first time?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
In my view we are really lacking a player like Crofts in the midfield. Someone who can win the ball and link the play who is more physical than what we currently have.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Exactly what I think. Two holding midfielders with plenty of creativity down the flanks and Vicente going whether he thinks best.

Totally agree with this, cant wait for Vicente to be back and Buckley fully match fit.
Reyes showed enough last night, and I feel he would fit into this line up in the rear middle.
Only doubt for me now is the left back position.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You've said that about 20 times now, and you're still wrong.

Still, if you want to watch hoofball with no pride, West Ham seem perfectly pitched for your tastes. Or you can head for Blackpool beach. If, however, you want to exercise a modicum of patience, watch us improve and play football which others can't keep up with, watch this space in a few weeks and months' time.

Did you REALLY think we'd get it right first time?

In your opinion Im wrong Alan, but others agree. Just coz you dont doesnt mean YOU are right.

No but I would have EXPECTED it by NOW.

Why do people think its advocating hoofball its NOT. Im advocating SPEED and pursose and maybe even a f***ing SHOT every now and then. Just a thought having seen EVERY game so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here