Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arismendi

At Hartlepool he came on and appeared to want to slow the game down, as if it was "okay, we need to play this my way now, and with the pace slowed down I can work".
That doesn't work when the opposition, and in fact the whole league is playing to a more aggressive pace and style with no time or space in which to 'express'. You have to get on with it, fit in and keep the motor running at the pace it's at, have an immediate rapport with the players around you and interact with them straight away.

For The Albion, we already have a player who holds the ball in the middle and looks to exploit space for passes and crosses - one who works hard and can fit in instantly....that's Cox. Arismende looks like a luxury, one that Gus is trying because they speak the same language and he sympathizes with a latino making a go in the English game.

Arismende will get mullered playing in Stoke's midfield against Prem sides - and in fact he'll get same treatment in league 1 because teams will know to close down on him quickly. He just doesn't look like he has close ball skills required for a cramped midfield, or that he can work within the English game without needing time and space on the ball.

This all may be a harsh assessment, but we (or anyone else) don't have the time and patience to accept any player's personal needs if it means jeopardizing the match result for him. If he needs time in the reserves in order to settle in - then he shouldn't be doing that at BHA either, he should be sorting that out at Stoke City.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
At Hartlepool he came on and appeared to want to slow the game down, as if it was "okay, we need to play this my way now, and with the pace slowed down I can work".
That doesn't work when the opposition, and in fact the whole league is playing to a more aggressive pace and style with no time or space in which to 'express'. You have to get on with it, fit in and keep the motor running at the pace it's at, have an immediate rapport with the players around you and interact with them straight away.

For The Albion, we already have a player who holds the ball in the middle and looks to exploit space for passes and crosses - one who works hard and can fit in instantly....that's Cox. Arismende looks like a luxury, one that Gus is trying because they speak the same language and he sympathizes with a latino making a go in the English game.

Arismende will get mullered playing in Stoke's midfield against Prem sides - and in fact he'll get same treatment in league 1 because teams will know to close down on him quickly. He just doesn't look like he has close ball skills required for a cramped midfield, or that he can work within the English game without needing time and space on the ball.

This all may be a harsh assessment, but we (or anyone else) don't have the time and patience to accept any player's personal needs if it means jeopardizing the match result for him. If he needs time in the reserves in order to settle in - then he shouldn't be doing that at BHA either, he should be sorting that out at Stoke City.
I was with you right up until you started singing Cox's praises!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Stoke City's answer to Turienzo.:blush:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Hello everyone,

In peace from Stoke-on-Trent.

Just wondering how young diego is getting along, obviously being injured will hvae been a little bit of a set-back but what are your thoughts?

I've only seen a little bit of him so far, friendlies, half a cup match and perhaps a reserve game however there seems to be somethng there.
he definately appears to be able to pass and has a some skill but my main concern was wether he will get stuck in enough to compete in english football.

i think im right in thinking hes only played in a few games for you due to injury but what are your innitial thoughts?

Sorry for some of the comments you have had so far they are a little bit harsh.
In League 1 if a player runs around a lot then the fans are generally happy and think the player is amazing. we have a player called Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong.
Gus is not one for sentiment as a few of our fringe players have found out, if you don't put the effort in during training then you wont get a place in his squad so from that aspect Arishmendi must have done something for Gus.
He clearly has some footballing ability but as he hasn't really played for about a year looks a little slow and slugish amoungst a league of players who run alot.
I hope we get to see more of him over the coming weeks but please ask again at the end of the season

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
"we have a player called Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong."
For God's sake, do you know anything about football?

Last edited:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
In League 1 if a player runs around a lot then the fans are generally happy and think the player is amazing. we have a player called Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong.
Gus is not one for sentiment as a few of our fringe players have found out, if you don't put the effort in during training then you wont get a place in his squad so from that aspect Arishmendi must have done something for Gus.
He clearly has some footballing ability but as he hasn't really played for about a year looks a little slow and slugish amoungst a league of players who run alot.
I hope we get to see more of him over the coming weeks but please ask again at the end of the season

What are you on?

Navarro has been one of our key players, he protects the back four is quite capable of picking a good pass and yes he runs around which is really a minimum requirement for any footballer.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

You are either on a wind-up or know nothing about football. Poyet quite obviously does not rate Cox, and probably because he cannot beat a player when played out wide and is too lightweight to play in middle especially in the holding midfield role which is what we are talking about here.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
"we have a player called Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong."
For God's sake, do you know anything about football?

Obviously I know nothing about football!

You are either on a wind-up or know nothing about football. Poyet quite obviously does not rate Cox, and probably because he cannot beat a player when played out wide and is too lightweight to play in middle especially in the holding midfield role which is what we are talking about here.

Nothing like a short sweeping statement to make you look an idiot.
So Poyet doesn't rate Cox, who can fit into the middle a lot better than Arismende has managed so far. I have rarely seen Cox relinquish the ball in the middle of the park, and I have often seen him come on and get crosses into the box after picking up the ball in the midfield.
Arismende or Cox? The latter, 100%. You can back Arismende if y'like. :facepalm:

Reasonable - but would you like to see more of him if, say, we were fighting in the relegation zone?
I wouldn't. Giving him games to get him match fit, in a new club, is what the reserve games are for.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong.

One of the most ridiculous things ever said on here! Navarro is anything but a runner. He is the No 8 you might want to watch him next time you go, good positional sense and can pass a ball

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
we have a player called Navarro who is awful positionally so has to run alot to recover, he also can't pass very well but as long as he runs then some fans will feel that the sun shines constantly and that he can do no wrong.

You have just described the OPPOSITE of Navarro.

Because he is so fat, Navarro does not move a lot. However, his positional sense/discipline is OUTSTANDING and makes him the good player that he is. His passing, although a little sideways-obsessed is generally very good.

How would you describe Liam Dickinson then? Let me guess....

"Great first touch, wins everything in the air and always stays on his feet. Terrible finisher though."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Forget the price tag, and if he had made his debut having picked him up from a local team, or coming through the ranks, and I'd be thinking we may have found one here. But the fact you paid millions for him last summer sets the expectations a bit higher, and he didn't live up them.

I didn't see anything that suggests he'll become a Premiership midfielder.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You have just described the OPPOSITE of Navarro.

Because he is so fat, Navarro does not move a lot. However, his positional sense/discipline is OUTSTANDING and makes him the good player that he is. His passing, although a little sideways-obsessed is generally very good.

How would you describe Liam Dickinson then? Let me guess....

"Great first touch, wins everything in the air and always stays on his feet. Terrible finisher though."

Navarro spends alot of his time chasing people after he has let them slip past him. For a defensive midfielder or holding midfielder he doesn't break up play enough for me and i can't see how he warrants a place in the team.

I'd rather see more of Arishmendi before he goes back to Stoke as he might be worth a season long loan

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i remember the day he signed and most people on here went MENTAL hailing it as the best signing in the history of the club - oh how things can change when played step onto the pitch

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Load of wank, I suggest you get your ass off your chair and go to a few games before you start commentating on players abilities and especially their positional awareness, Navarro has a superb positional awareness, he is slow as f*** so it's obviously important to him to be in the right place to start off with. ARISMendi may well train hard, but that doesn't mean that it'll translate well onto a crowded midfield in league one, so far it certainly hasn't, he hasn't ever looked up to the fight and therefore his footballing ability (which may well be very good) is useless because he never gets on the ball.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Load of wank, I suggest you get your ass off your chair and go to a few games before you start commentating on players abilities and especially their positional awareness, Navarro has a superb positional awareness, he is slow as f*** so it's obviously important to him to be in the right place to start off with. ARISMendi may well train hard, but that doesn't mean that it'll translate well onto a crowded midfield in league one, so far it certainly hasn't, he hasn't ever looked up to the fight and therefore his footballing ability (which may well be very good) is useless because he never gets on the ball.

I've been to 27 Albion matches so far this season and when I play football I often play as a holding midfielder. I know what a good one looks like and I know when I have seen someone look out of place.

I guess Navarro is probably your favourite player so I wouldn't expect you to agree with me

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Perkino = Clueless

Navarro has probably been our best midfielder this season. I honestly don't know what team you have been watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here