Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus to become a broadsheet

The Argus is to become a broadsheet in January, the first time any local newspaper has transformed itself in this manner.

Here is an interesting article explaining the change by Roy Greenslade, ex-Mirror editor and Brighton resident (and Natascha McElhone's step dad!)

I've been around on NSC a short enough time to know that the Argus is not a popular read on here, but not long enough to know people's reasons.

It will be interesting to see if this move upmarket will change any views. Whatever your current view, I think it has to be accepted that this a very brave step by the editor Simon Bradshaw. The new Argus will apparently be "an amalgam of the humour of the Sun, the news-gathering techniques of the Daily Mail and the analysis of the Guardian and the Independent." Blimey.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,1111427,00.html

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
London Irish said:
The new Argus will apparently be "an amalgam of the humour of the Sun, the news-gathering techniques of the Daily Mail and the analysis of the Guardian and the Independent." Blimey.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,1111427,00.html

I suspect it will more likely have the humour of a German accountant, the news gathering technique of someone wandering round Hove looking for cats stuck up trees and the analysis of Stoke City's programme writer.

IMHO.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
London Irish said:
The new Argus will apparently be "an amalgam of the humour of the Sun, the news-gathering techniques of the Daily Mail and the analysis of the Guardian and the Independent." Blimey.

One can't begin to imagine what Page 3 is going to look like!

ugly.jpg

Re: Re: Argus to become a broadsheet

Guinness Boy said:
I suspect it will more likely have the humour of a German accountant, the news gathering technique of someone wandering round Hove looking for cats stuck up trees and the analysis of Stoke City's programme writer.

IMHO.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :drink:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
It's not becoming a broadsheet, but adopting some of the broadsheet values according to that article.

I think it realises it has to freshen up and is responding.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I think it should start be stopping that ridiculous website subscription service. 21p a day, is taking the piss.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't be many for that website option

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Hopefully there will be less of those 'my neighbours cat got run over yesterday' stories and more _real_ news.

Changing the size to broadsheet would be crazy and begs the question, why? :rolleyes:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pethick's Haircut said:
I think it should start be stopping that ridiculous website subscription service. 21p a day, is taking the piss.

So you want to have access to the information but don't want to have to pay for it?

The business model for the delivery of information over the web is changing and the days of 'something for nothing' are drawing to an end.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not the most promising of starts for the New Golden Age Of The Argus - mentioning 'broadsheet values' and 'the humour of The Sun' in the same sentence.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting analysis in that article. I don't buy the Argus for the same reason as I don't buy the Mail, Sun or Star; because it is - IMO - 'crap'. You pay 32p and basically you get something to line the budgie's cage. Having more in-depth analysis would make it more appealing to me.

Of course I would by the Argus if their Albion coverage was better (I admit to buying it occasionally on Wednesdays for Harty's column) and if they were more supportive of Falmer. Headlines like 'Footpath threat to Stadium' do not entice me to buy it. Was there a counterstory saying 'Footpath scam was a feeble attempt by the anti-humans to thwart Brighton's people'?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
ripper said:
Hopefully there will be less of those 'my neighbours cat got run over yesterday' stories and more _real_ news.

Changing the size to broadsheet would be crazy and begs the question, why? :rolleyes:

If you think that's bad, you want to look at the Mid Sussex Times - worst "news"paper ever!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quote So you want to have access to the information but don't want to have to pay for it?

All relevant information can be gleaned from a combination of the BBC and North Stand Chat. I would rather be a Palace fan than pay the Anus 21p a day to allow Naylor to write his gibberish

bigfanofcullip

Aug 12, 2003
It won't change to a boadsheet - it'll look just like the Daily Mail/Evening Standard when the revamped Argus comes out.

Apparently it will be more like the Standard in the sense that big news going on elsewhere in the country will take over from local (Brighton, East Sussex and West Sussex) news when the local stuff is tame (ie 360 days of the year).

They are going for lots and lots of features too - do we need a Brighton Daily Mail?

Wonder what the sports pages will look like.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Argus has needed freshening up for years. Good to hear that they are actually investing in the product at last. I would like to see a Standard'esque type product myself.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Mid Sussex Times is good!!

I sometimes buy the Argus, but only because it is 10p at Uni*, and I have probably already read about 2 other papers. But the Brighton stories I can read in the shop, and any important information is usually on here or another site.

The rest of the Argus, with the exception of the local sport, is a load of rubbish; although I do read it in times of boredom.

I'm certainly not going to pay to read something on the internet that I can read in a shop for free.

*If anyone wants cheap newspapers-you can get the Guardian for 20p and the Argus for 10p in the newsagents at Sussex Uni.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here