Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus to become a broadsheet

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
London Irish said:
The Argus is to become a broadsheet in January, the first time any local newspaper has transformed itself in this manner.

Interestingly enough, The Watford Observer has always been in broadsheet format.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing (and formerly of Watford) BHA

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
fatboy said:
The Mid Sussex Times is good!!

I sometimes buy the Argus, but only because it is 10p at Uni*, and I have probably already read about 2 other papers. But the Brighton stories I can read in the shop, and any important information is usually on here or another site.

The rest of the Argus, with the exception of the local sport, is a load of rubbish; although I do read it in times of boredom.

I'm certainly not going to pay to read something on the internet that I can read in a shop for free.

*If anyone wants cheap newspapers-you can get the Guardian for 20p and the Argus for 10p in the newsagents at Sussex Uni.

The Mid Sussex Times is absolute crap! Full of boring parochial stuff, Womens Institutes, country stuff, village ramblings etc. Barely any news worth reading at all.

At least the Argus has some national news and other local news that is at least interesting!

Are you one of those annoying people who stand there in the way, reading a paper for free when I'm trying to get to one to buy? Grrrrrr!

I notice that Bradshaw's "analysis" ofhis falling circulation failed to include the "Written by wankers" l who understand nothing about the area and the people who live there but are all desperately trying to be the new sensation in the Daily Mail.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Speaking as someone who deals in local news (but not in Sussex and not even in newspaper format), I think the Argus is on the whole a great paper. Yes, it's got tosh like Naylor and Chris Baker, and those irritating columns about "the men who sit opposite me on the 8.37 from Hassocks" but it's really good at:

exposing things which are shit, such as much of the healthcare provision in Sussex;

having a pop at councils when they deserve it (like when East Sussex social services got done over by the inpectors a few years ago);

Reporting crime (I'm just about old enough to remember the Babes in the Wood murders, which it covered in detail, but sensitively);

Unusual and well-written human interest stories that you wouldn't hear about anywhere else;

Absolutely cracking photographs, expecially when there's a big sporting event or something floods/catches fire.

There are many, many worse local daily papers out there... as anyone who's ever read the Blackpool Gazette could probably tell you. Save for Naylor and Baker and the charge for the website, I like the Argus as is. It'll be really interesting to see it as a broadsheet.. it's obviously trying to move away from the commuter market, which the Standard has pretty much nabbed.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Personally I don't care what it becomes because it'll still be tedious crap and will still have Handjob Naylor.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Originally posted by Pethick's Haircut
I think it should start be stopping that ridiculous website subscription service. 21p a day, is taking the piss.
Bozza said:
So you want to have access to the information but don't want to have to pay for it?

The business model for the delivery of information over the web is changing and the days of 'something for nothing' are drawing to an end.
If you don't want to pay for the content wait until late in the day/overnight when they move the stories to their archives which can be searched for nothing. If you really want to read their stories you'll be happy to wait for them.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Speaking as someone who deals in local news (but not in Sussex and not even in newspaper format), I think the Argus is on the whole a great paper .......

.......There are many, many worse local daily papers out there... as anyone who's ever read the Blackpool Gazette could probably tell you. Save for Naylor and Baker and the charge for the website, I like the Argus as is. It'll be really interesting to see it as a broadsheet.. it's obviously trying to move away from the commuter market, which the Standard has pretty much nabbed.
I will bow to your superior knowledge Mr Clown. You do make some good points and The Argus also won awards for it's coverage of the Brighton bomb in 1984. Thinking about it the only other local paper I've read IS the Standard which when I worked in London I would always buy so maybe I was being a bit unfair.

However as a daily newpaper it still doesn't appeal to me. One of the reasons is there isn't much in it, that's why I would always pay a few pence more for the Standard as that takes longer than 20 minutes to read. However I await the Argus relaunch with interest.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Brovian I don't think the Argus ever set out to be a daily paper. I always considered it to be an evening local paper.
My Dad used to get the Mirror in the morning and the Argus in the evening after work to get the national and local news.

The Huddersfield Examiner isn't much better than the Argus.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
If people read that article properly, the Argus is NOT becoming a broadsheet, but much of the content will be broadsheet based such as that in the Guardian, Telegraph etc. Sensible reporting, not stories about cats up trees and the like.

I think it is a welcome move personally. I buy the Argus most nights for the Albion news and if I get a bit more for my money, so much the better!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No chance of them relaunching 'South Today' is there?

"Council bus passes in Basingstoke ..."
"Parking problems in Poole ..."
"Traffic light failure in Romsey ..."
"Cat run over in Bournemouth ..."
"Football allegedly played in Portsmouth ..."
(Last one turned out to be false)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Fran Hagarty said:
The Mid Sussex Times is absolute crap! Full of boring parochial stuff, Womens Institutes, country stuff, village ramblings etc. Barely any news worth reading at all.

At least the Argus has some national news and other local news that is at least interesting!

Are you one of those annoying people who stand there in the way, reading a paper for free when I'm trying to get to one to buy? Grrrrrr!

That is exactly why the Argus is crap! You probably get more information on national news from Teletext than you do from the Argus!

I enjoy reading the Middy. The local sport is good. I appreciate reading match reports on Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill is probably not going to be of any interest to you, but I read them. I also like reading the crime file (to see if I am responsible for any of it!!) and to see if I recognise any of the names in the In Court section.

I don't read papers for free in the queue to the till!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brovian said:
No chance of them relaunching 'South Today' is there?

"Council bus passes in Basingstoke ..."
"Parking problems in Poole ..."
"Traffic light failure in Romsey ..."
"Cat run over in Bournemouth ..."
"Football allegedly played in Portsmouth ..."
(Last one turned out to be false)

Good point. Tho living in God's Own Postcode, BN1, I get more news about The New Forest than is decent, despite never having knowingly been there, and when I was banged up in Slough Travelodge for six months earlier this year, it was all news about Brighton & Hove. Which was nice - tho I'm not sure what the local Albanian community thought about it.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
fatboy said:
That is exactly why the Argus is crap! You probably get more information on national news from Teletext than you do from the Argus!

I enjoy reading the Middy. The local sport is good. I appreciate reading match reports on Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill is probably not going to be of any interest to you, but I read them. I also like reading the crime file (to see if I am responsible for any of it!!) and to see if I recognise any of the names in the In Court section.

I don't read papers for free in the queue to the till!!

I don't read the Argus for national news, more for local news. There is very little of that in the Midi - maybe nothing much happens in Mid Sussex! I do read the Court section to see if there are any familiar names - haven't seen yours yet!

You're right, local sport - e.g Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath FCs are of no interest to me! (I originate from HOVE btw!) The sport section mainly relates to youth football - I used to read it when Glyn played in youth teams. Other than that there's little of interest to me but I still buy it as it only comes out once a week!

It's not people in the queue who annoy me but those who read the papers that are on the stands so that you can't get to them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here