Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Gus ready to swoop

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good experienced keeper, Mattock, Vicente option taken, midfield powerhouse, powerful centre forward... job done...

Feb 14, 2010
We dont need a "powerful forward". We need a centre forward who knows where to run, and who is a clinical finisher. Tall, short, quick or slow are all side issues.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My wish list: Vicente signs, Mattock, McCormack, new keeper, midfield powerhouse

Not a lot to ask, is it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Calm down. It's going to be a long old off season there's time to deliberate decisions, no need to rush into anything.

No, no... strike while the iron's hot... otherwise scrape the barrel...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We dont need a "powerful forward". We need a centre forward who knows where to run, and who is a clinical finisher. Tall, short, quick or slow are all side issues.

In Gus' words... we need something different... I presume this includes the forwards...

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Deja vu with last Summer & before.
Inpatience from us to get the signing earlys, whereas Gus/TB remain cool.

The only club that did all their business early last Summer was Manure, (£55m on De Gea, Young, & Jones), which the biased media stated as so savvy & would lead to glory in 2012, as the new squad "could knit together over the entire pre-seaon, and early prices paid are low before bidding wars hot up".

Feb 14, 2010
In Gus' words... we need something different... I presume this includes the forwards...

A striker who knows where to run and who is a clinical finisher is something different. Last season we had CMS who ran around allot but didn't make the right clinical runs to finish off our moves. Lumping up to the big fella up front is not effective, just ask England fans.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Jeees....it's only May! Long summer ahead me thinks.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
no way jose, the first and most important signing would be Vicente Rodriguez imho

Agreed...hopefully he'll decide sooner rather than later though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What as well as Drogba?

How's this Scottish fella going to play with Seedorf?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
What about Sam Baldock? Now that WHU are up he's probably not in their plans and he didn't get much opportunity this year with all their strikers. But he looked very good in League One and might be worth a go?

Feb 14, 2010
Seems to work when the big fella's called Didier Droghba!

As I say, it doesn't matter wherher you are tall, short, big or small. It is whether the forward makes the right runs and is a clinical finisher. Drogba had a great game and his run at the corner to stick his head on the equaliser was superb. But it was his run at that corner that was the game changing moment.

Yes he was also the Chelsea outlet, but that is because Chelsea hardly had the ball. Brighton however will have possession and will be slotting passes into space around the box. We need someone who can read those passes and stick the ball in the net. Whether that is a big fella like Drogba or a small fella like a Messi is irrelevant.

However what is certain is that lumping it up to a Peter Crouch or Emile Heskey type player just gives the ball away. There is a reason why Barca have won everything in the last few years, Brighton destroyed the third division under Poyet with a small budget than Saints and Swansea have been the most successful small club in the Premier League - they all keep the ball.

We already have a forward that runs around alot in CMS, that is great and helps defending. The new forward should do that as well, as do Barca forwards. But key is that we also have a forward who knows how to find a yard of space and then cooly sticks the ball in the net. That is what we didnt have and missed last year.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we are going to swoop, let's just get on with it. We don't want to arrive at a situation where all the decent players are signed up by our rivals.

Wow what a great idea, I bet Gus / Tony had never thought of that. Have you ever thought about going into football management?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here