Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus blogger asks: "Does Brighton Really Need A Football Club?"

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the joke is on those that believe he is serious.

True, but it is not a patch on the Daily Mash style stories which are littering the internet.

Fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek and written to miff people who take it seriously while generating a few angry people to create a bit more web traffic. Just not THAT funny...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will generate a load of hits from miffed Albion fans. Job done.

As I said - link-bait. But a parody that is so well written deserves to be widely read.

It's just a shame that the joke will be lost on a lot of people who will leave comments on the Argus site that accurately hit the footballer supporter stereotype. Oh well.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
True, but it is not a patch on the Daily Mash style stories which are littering the internet.

Fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek and written to miff people who take it seriously while generating a few angry people to create a bit more web traffic. Just not THAT funny...

Not that funny and far too long I got bored after reading half of it!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
His parents obviously knew how he would turn out by giving him that name. Lived in Brighton for a whole 6 years and is a vegan, give the man a cigar, pratt.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As I said - link-bait. But a parody that is so well written deserves to be widely read.

It's just a shame that the joke will be lost on a lot of people who will leave comments on the Argus site that accurately hit the footballer supporter stereotype. Oh well.

Having gone back over it, you are right, some bits are a very good parody of the types who walk round town on a Saturday oblivious to the fact there is even a game taking place in the city.

I made the mistake of, at first glance, knowing local liberal types enough to believe one of them would have actually written it for real!

I have performed a massive about turn and will be looking forward to his next offering!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ah, wum.

Editor's note: Quentin Delahunty is a fictional creation.

trlht.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I found it amusing and think you may have missed the joke Richie. Not laugh out loud, but a bit of a guffaw.

Certainly worth the Argus blog space far more than HB&B's absolute shite efforts ever were.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well-written and humorous link-bait.

Read it, laugh and move on.

On what level is it either well-written or humourous ? Comes across as someone trying to be all intellectual using foreign words an' all, as though it's really clever (c'est non ?). But, as a mere burberry wearing football fan, I presume I wasn't able to understand it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On what level is it either well-written or humourous ? Comes across as someone trying to be all intellectual using foreign words an' all, as though it's really clever (c'est non ?). But, as a mere burberry wearing football fan, I presume I wasn't able to understand it.
It's absolute nonsense, paradying a snooty arty type who arrived 3 years ago and doesn't know anything about the city's history or culture. If you read through towards the end, it becomes clear that the man does actually know his football too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here