Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you watching Glenn Murray

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Exactly, never out of top 2 divisions and with occasional flirtations with premier league. We are the same As Brighton only 1 division better, than your natural shitty league 1 club with occasional flirtation with championship.

Glenn Murray is ambitious and he jumped ship to a far superior club with better pedigree and much better prospects.

Only your deluded stupid fans fail to see you are a stepping stone club where the shit stays and all good players leg it.

You may have a new ground and money, wooopety doo dah but players see you as the rest of the football world see you.... a tinpot club with some nice new furniture.

You have never and will never be a better proposition than CPFC.

Care to list all the creditors and how much they lost as a result of your shoddy clubs overspending to keep you in that false lofty position? a position you would never have been in over those years if you had to balance the books - should make a long and interesting read.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus wasn't too fussed if Muzza signed a new contract as he had a better player already waiting to sign up to play tippy tappy football , a style which Palace wouldn't be able to master because it involves skill and teamwork.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus wasn't too fussed if Muzza signed a new contract as he had a better player already waiting to sign up to play tippy tappy football , a style which Palace wouldn't be able to master because it involves skill and teamwork.

Spot on...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
If what is being banded about by NSC regarding the amounts Brighton are willing to pay on new players, Glen Murray must now realise that the club were not particularly worried whether he signed a new contract or not.

The fact that the club let his contract run out should have been a big enough clue...

Mints

Banned
May 24, 2011
The fact that the club let his contract run out should have been a big enough clue...

They had no option - they were trying to get him to sign a new contract right up until the last moment. If a player won't sign a new contract, the club can't do anything (apart from throw money at the player).

Players hold all the aces. The fact that Tony wouldn't give Gus the funds to keep Murray is worrying. It's great to hear that there will be a signature signing, but is it just a pipe dream? So far only Hoskins signed, with Murray and Bennett going/gone.

Wait until we see what team starts the first game of the season.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be honest i never really rated him or warmed to him as players always one who was out for what he could get

Me too- cannot deny his goalscoring record was good here,just not my type,like Gus(i suspect)i prefer strikers to be channel runners,with tricks,flicks,and searing "pace" to burn.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They had no option - they were trying to get him to sign a new contract right up until the last moment. If a player won't sign a new contract, the club can't do anything (apart from throw money at the player).

Players hold all the aces. The fact that Tony wouldn't give Gus the funds to keep Murray is worrying. It's great to hear that there will be a signature signing, but is it just a pipe dream? So far only Hoskins signed, with Murray and Bennett going/gone.

Wait until we see what team starts the first game of the season.

If we were keen to sign him up, why didn't we do it at the beginning of the season or even earlier? rather than wait for his contract to start to expire? - you don't have to wait til the last 6 months or so of someone's contract before you can offer them a new one.

Gus stated that he had to score 20+ goals this season to get an offer, to me that shows that his contribution for the other 2 seasons he was here just wasn't good enough to merit an contract extension. One good season doesn't mean he will repeat it the following year, he is unproven against Championship defenders so it is a risk to rely on him next season, so to pay too much for his services, especially when you can get a proven Championship goalscorer for the same sort of money seems a bit of a waste of resources.

Mints

Banned
May 24, 2011
If we were keen to sign him up, why didn't we do it at the beginning of the season or even earlier? rather than wait for his contract to start to expire? - you don't have to wait til the last 6 months or so of someone's contract before you can offer them a new one.

Gus stated that he had to score 20+ goals this season to get an offer, to me that shows that his contribution for the other 2 seasons he was here just wasn't good enough to merit an contract extension. One good season doesn't mean he will repeat it the following year, he is unproven against Championship defenders so it is a risk to rely on him next season, so to pay too much for his services, especially when you can get a proven Championship goalscorer for the same sort of money seems a bit of a waste of resources.

What Championship goalscorer for the same money? Murray would have cost the club nothing apart from wages. A Championship striker will cost £500m to £1m and will probably want £8-10k per week.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
İbrahim Tatlıses;4147168 said:
Palace will be flirting with relegation all season, Murray will fail to hit form in a poor side.

He will lose his place in the side once the fans get on his back for being too lazy and missing too many sitters.

He will end up on loan to a league one side the season after next, confirming our presumptions that league one is his level.

Awful move career wise for him.

Exactly. Palace have had a number of similar players over the years with ability but lack of motivation or whatever to make an impact. They have often relied on one or two key players with the rest hanging on to their shirt tails.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What Championship goalscorer for the same money? Murray would have cost the club nothing apart from wages. A Championship striker will cost £500m to £1m and will probably want £8-10k per week.

Perhaps some young Spanish / Portuguese-(that others have missed) live wire that will dazzle be bought in for £0.5m and bang in 20 goals and be sold for £2.5m whilst on £4k per week? is only 1 such fanciful option.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
We wouldn't meet his over inflated wage demands for an unproven striker at Championship level you mean, especially when we believe that we can get proven (and hopefully better) strikers in for the same wage that he wanted - we basically saw it as better value to invest our money elsewhere than meet Murray's demands.

The problem I have is that I get distinctly nervous with promises of better to come and when that doesn't materialise. Murray was a proven goal scorer with us and there is no sign of any positive signings at present (as far as I am aware). With Elliott going it leaves our strike force sadly diminished and not in the state I want for the new season at the Amex (I refuse to call it Falmer as I will always associate Falmer with that bunch of NIMBYs)

When we went up in 2002 several Premier League clubs were sniffing around Bobby Zamora, who was also unproven at a higher level. The biggest club linked to Murray were probably Derby.

I'm not saying Murray is crap, he clearly isn't, but this title-winning side is far more of a team than a side with any real standout stars and the loss of Murray is not that much of a disaster.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Have to agree with Safeway.
Albion's success this year is down to the team amounting to more than its constituent parts, i.e. the whole team rather than individual excellence.

I get a bit weary of people talking down our chances next season. I believe we will get talented players that really want to wear the shirt.... and that is much better than trying to hold onto players who want to go elsewhere. Surely we can all agree with that!

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
İbrahim Tatlıses;4147168 said:
Palace will be flirting with relegation all season, Murray will fail to hit form in a poor side.

He will lose his place in the side once the fans get on his back for being too lazy and missing too many sitters.

He will end up on loan to a league one side the season after next, confirming our presumptions that league one is his level.

Awful move career wise for him.
Nostradamus is alive and well.
How the f*** can you work that out.Seriously go and see a shrink you have lost it.

Nostradamus is alive and well.
How the f*** can you work that out.Seriously go and see a shrink you have lost it.

It's no more fanciful than the other palace fan on this thread suggesting you'll be premier league next year given your recent previous form.

Fact is Murray only really hit form in this last year of his contract when he had to get himself noticed or at least get another deal with us. Same as he always seemed to try harder when the cameras were on. Palace now have 2 seasons of mediocre at best Murray to look forward to as his motivation has gone.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
It's no more fanciful than the other palace fan on this thread suggesting you'll be premier league next year given your recent previous form.
No it's not.But your poster has actually plotted out in detail the way a players career is going to go.A player that was the dogs bollocks according to 95% on here only a couple of months ago.

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
EaglesEATseaweed;4147084 You have never and will never be a better proposition than CPFC.[/QUOTE said:
Tell that to the St.Johns Ambulance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here